Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ( Possible Mature Content )

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
And here I am with a dad who decides to download an ilegal version of the game and I'm afraid if my computer can handle it

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
Not my fault! He always does this, downloads games before asking me, I have only gotten 3 real bought games in my entire life

Ratchat620

Lord of Altera
Ain't missing much on ESO. As for Witcher... well... Let's just say that it's what Elder Scrolls should have always been.
Nah, TES is a totally different kind of fantasy setting then Witcher. If you mean graphic wise though, I guess you're right.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Nah, TES is a totally different kind of fantasy setting then Witcher. If you mean graphic wise though, I guess you're right.
Setting-wise, it is different, yes. However, what I mean is the immersion of the story. How much of an RPG the game is. Skyrim is as flat on that front as a sheet of paper. One-dimensional characters with terrible voice acting and even worse animations. It's a great sandbox game, but a terrible RPG. In contrast, the Witcher 3 feels like an art in every respect. Every character is clearly well thought out and different. I could level some criticism at the first game, in that it simply continued the themes of the books - that is racism and stupidity of mankind. Sure it tried to capture the main theme, which was that there is no right or wrong choice, only greater and lesser evil, but in my opinion in failed a tad at that one.
Witcher 3 will punch you in the gut in certain quests no matter what choice you make. In other quests there is a better and worse decision, so that you can never be sure what to expect. Minor spoiler as an example:

In the first map, White Orchard, you get a secondary quest where you can save a girl from dying. She was attacked by the Gryphyn you have to kill as part of the main quest, and she has no chances of surviving unless you give her a highly toxic Witcher potion. I decided to give her a potion - seemed like the right thing to do. I later met a Nilfgaardian soldier who said he was her lover. He told me that the girl had, indeed, survived, but the potion caused her mind to just go. She didn't recognise anyone, couldn't speak, nothing. Her lover says he's not sure whether to curse you or thank you. That's the sort of level we're talking about here.

And let's discuss the level design. In Skyrim, enter any old hole in the ground and you can expect this: You go in, kill a few baddies (usually bandits at first, then quite often you reach the area of Draugrs or sometimes Dwemer ruins, but the gist is the same). You then usually do a riddle of some sort, sometimes the ones with claws that you'll almost certainly find inside the ruins/cave/whatever. You'll eventually get to the end boss, kill him, get some dragon power and leave through the secret entrance that takes you to the start of the map.
In Witcher, every single handcrafted area is different, which gives you a far greater sense of the world being alive, and not made by people.

The game still needs a ton of bugfixing... I saw the infamous Assassin's Creed Unity bug in it once (Faces disappeared :c) and sometimes when the horse rides up a slope it'll faceplant the ground instead of moving right, but the game works, so the launch is better than some other titles from this year.

And to say that you shouldn't compare TES to the Witcher is wrong, since both are within the same genre. If I were to compare CoD to Witcher then yes, that'd be wrong, but both are Medieval High Fantasy Role Playing Games. Except one does things extremely well, and the other is Skyrim/TES (by the way, I liked Morrowind. It was fairly well executed and wasn't aimed at the mass market, making it a better niche. Also, little voice acting made that game much better than later installments. Its worst side was the combat system.)

Ratchat620

Lord of Altera
Setting-wise, it is different, yes. However, what I mean is the immersion of the story. How much of an RPG the game is. Skyrim is as flat on that front as a sheet of paper. One-dimensional characters with terrible voice acting and even worse animations. It's a great sandbox game, but a terrible RPG. In contrast, the Witcher 3 feels like an art in every respect. Every character is clearly well thought out and different. I could level some criticism at the first game, in that it simply continued the themes of the books - that is racism and stupidity of mankind. Sure it tried to capture the main theme, which was that there is no right or wrong choice, only greater and lesser evil, but in my opinion in failed a tad at that one.
Witcher 3 will punch you in the gut in certain quests no matter what choice you make. In other quests there is a better and worse decision, so that you can never be sure what to expect. Minor spoiler as an example:

In the first map, White Orchard, you get a secondary quest where you can save a girl from dying. She was attacked by the Gryphyn you have to kill as part of the main quest, and she has no chances of surviving unless you give her a highly toxic Witcher potion. I decided to give her a potion - seemed like the right thing to do. I later met a Nilfgaardian soldier who said he was her lover. He told me that the girl had, indeed, survived, but the potion caused her mind to just go. She didn't recognise anyone, couldn't speak, nothing. Her lover says he's not sure whether to curse you or thank you. That's the sort of level we're talking about here.

And let's discuss the level design. In Skyrim, enter any old hole in the ground and you can expect this: You go in, kill a few baddies (usually bandits at first, then quite often you reach the area of Draugrs or sometimes Dwemer ruins, but the gist is the same). You then usually do a riddle of some sort, sometimes the ones with claws that you'll almost certainly find inside the ruins/cave/whatever. You'll eventually get to the end boss, kill him, get some dragon power and leave through the secret entrance that takes you to the start of the map.
In Witcher, every single handcrafted area is different, which gives you a far greater sense of the world being alive, and not made by people.

The game still needs a ton of bugfixing... I saw the infamous Assassin's Creed Unity bug in it once (Faces disappeared :c) and sometimes when the horse rides up a slope it'll faceplant the ground instead of moving right, but the game works, so the launch is better than some other titles from this year.

And to say that you shouldn't compare TES to the Witcher is wrong, since both are within the same genre. If I were to compare CoD to Witcher then yes, that'd be wrong, but both are Medieval High Fantasy Role Playing Games. Except one does things extremely well, and the other is Skyrim/TES (by the way, I liked Morrowind. It was fairly well executed and wasn't aimed at the mass market, making it a better niche. Also, little voice acting made that game much better than later installments. Its worst side was the combat system.)
Wow, I didn't expect such a long answer :p Thank you though. To begin with I don't really know much about the Witcher so I guess I shouldn't have made that statement but this post really told me a lot about the games.
I've recently (like yesterday) started playing the Witcher 2 and I like it (I think i'm still in the prologue) but what you've told me about the Witcher 3 really has made me want to buy the game and play the hell out of it although I haven't really had those gut-punching moments in the witcher 2 probably 'cause (as i said) am still playing through the prologue.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Wow, I didn't expect such a long answer :p Thank you though. To begin with I don't really know much about the Witcher so I guess I shouldn't have made that statement but this post really told me a lot about the games.
I've recently (like yesterday) started playing the Witcher 2 and I like it (I think i'm still in the prologue) but what you've told me about the Witcher 3 really has made me want to buy the game and play the hell out of it although I haven't really had those gut-punching moments in the witcher 2 probably 'cause (as i said) am still playing through the prologue.
I didn't expect such a long answer either, to be honest with you. ._.

Witcher 2 is good, but it's not quite there. Traveling anywhere is a chore in that game and it's still got plenty of grindy quests. Witcher 3's exploration is just so extremely well executed, going to a new area is always a pleasant surprise. I recommend it a lot, even if you don't play Witcher 2, though I'd recommend getting through that game first :p

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
And I got the game! Sweet water tap Shoreless this game looks so bloody good!!! I didnt even know my computer was that good!

CthulhuPeople

Lord of Altera
Hmm. I bought the game yesterday and so far it's pretty good, but not as good as some people say. I think it was overhyped up the wazoo, to be honest. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing game, but I think people are blowing it out of proportion.

Spark

Broken
On what intensity are you playing?
Second from hardest, can't remember the name.
Fire the crossbow at it when it flies in your direction and it should bring it down with extra damage. Igni also does well in a pinch.
I was, does so much damage to me though, hard to get many hits in without it swiping me. I've got it to the second stage where it flies to the windmill so should be able to do it when I get home. I need something that gives instant vitality, if that's a thing, because bread and baked apples just aren't cutting it :p

CthulhuPeople

Lord of Altera
Second from hardest, can't remember the name.

I was, does so much damage to me though, hard to get many hits in without it swiping me. I've got it to the second stage where it flies to the windmill so should be able to do it when I get home. I need something that gives instant vitality, if that's a thing, because bread and baked apples just aren't cutting it :p
There is a healing potion of sorts, but apparently takes a bunch of spooky ingredients. I just use food and meditation. Also, the food doesn't stack times on vitality regen. So use patiently.

Last edited:

Spark

Broken
There is a healing potion of sorts, but apparently takes a bunch of spooky ingredients. I just use food and meditation.
Meditation heal at my difficultly apparently and I haven't used it yet, is it like waiting in elder scrolls?
Also I like the exploration much more in the witcher in comparison to say, Skyrim. It's so atmospheric. I'm only in the first area but it's awesome. I was wondering through the woods, then came across a place of power or something and this wraith thingy appeared.....I ran away with my tail between my legs...

Packs of wolves can actually do damage and work as packs to, trying to flank and stuff.
Also, the graphics on ultra just make it so damn sexy.

CthulhuPeople

Lord of Altera
Meditation heal at my difficultly apparently and I haven't used it yet, is it like waiting in elder scrolls?
Also I like the exploration much more in the witcher in comparison to say, Skyrim. It's so atmospheric. I'm only in the first area but it's awesome. I was wondering through the woods, then came across a place of power or something and this wraith thingy appeared.....I ran away with my tail between my legs...

Packs of wolves can actually do damage and work as packs to, trying to flank and stuff.
Also, the graphics on ultra just make it so damn sexy.
Meditation, on next to easy difficulty at least, restores all potion consumables and brings help up to full. And yeah, places of power apparently buff a certain sign for a limited amount of time. But really, to help with regen invest in the "Sun and Stars" perk, as it regenerates an extra 10 points of health per second when not in combat during the day. At night it regenerates an additional 1 point of stamina per second in combat.