Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Towny upkeep(taxes) and voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelcryo

King of the north!
My beliefs:

Voting takes FIVE FREAKING SECONDS. If you can't get off your lazy butt and do it every once in a while, why do you play something time consuming like MineCraft? :p

Well said.

We pay you for voting as a reward and to help out. If you can't be arsed to do something that takes 5 seconds and you're town falls to ruin because of it, then that is your own problem. Part of having a town is managing it, if you have lots of inactive members, kick them. If you can't be arsed to manage taxes and bank balances, don't make a town. It's that simple.

You don't even have to vote to make money, go do some quests or trade ingame.

If people want to complain about this, then I'm going to start removing posts and potentially people. Sorry to sound harsh but we've been running this server long enough, having people moan at us because we are REWARDING them for doing something to help the server is fucking retarded. Might aswell start moaning that people who donate money can use flymod and people who don't, can't.

/rant.

-.-

OlafStronghammer

Lord of Altera
Well said.

We pay you for voting as a reward and to help out. If you can't be arsed to do something that takes 5 seconds and you're town falls to ruin because of it, then that is your own problem. Part of having a town is managing it, if you have lots of inactive members, kick them. If you can't be arsed to manage taxes and bank balances, don't make a town. It's that simple.

You don't even have to vote to make money, go do some quests or trade ingame.

If people want to complain about this, then I'm going to start removing posts and potentially people. Sorry to sound harsh but we've been running this server long enough, having people moan at us because we are REWARDING them for doing something to help the server is fucking retarded. Might aswell start moaning that people who donate money can use flymod and people who don't, can't.

/rant.

-.-
That's a tad black and white and us vs them is it not? I was not complaining or moaning and in principal i totally agree with you. I have my concerns whether or not it would work in practice however and could foresee it having a detrimental effect on every ones experience. Maybe i am wrong though.

Lets be honest towns and cities are already in the main empty. I think i have seen up to 10 people at the most in one area at any one time. Using this system would lead to even less people being part of a town simply because some people wont be on for a few days or have other commitments or forgot etc. I think people come here to relax and play and not to worry about managing their virtual finances correctly.

I think you need more active players before this would work. I also dont appreciate being called a F'in retard for giving what i thought was some well thought out input/feedback to help you.

If you are not open to input from people on this simply say so if you have not already with this post.

Michaël Dirix

Legend of Altera
how long have you been playing on this server Olaf ......
towns are empty cause they don't kick their inactive residents ,towns are like coral reefs....every new resident builds his house ,but the problem is it keeps growing without maintaining its population. Steel is right ,if you can't manage a town ....don't start one

Kaies

Grand Lizard
Actually most towns are empty because they go to the bigger towns, leaving smaller ones like Red Haven, Sirens Call, Red Cap Crossing, ect.. empty because we cant get any residents.

OlafStronghammer

Lord of Altera
how long have you been playing on this server Olaf ......
towns are empty cause they don't kick their inactive residents ,towns are like coral reefs....every new resident builds his house ,but the problem is it keeps growing without maintaining its population. Steel is right ,if you can't manage a town ....don't start one
No towns are empty because the server has a concurrency of roughly 50 people on average right now and i mean all towns not just the large ones with lots of inactive residents.

I completely agree if a player is not around for a month or so then the mayor should remove them from the town. However some players may wish to play occasionally but over a long period of time and taxes may make it harder for them to reside in a town thus shrinking all towns and leaving less content for all players to enjoy.

I am not saying all this for my benefit it wont be me who loses out the hardest here my town is new. I plan to bring in a small amount of taxes to get players used to this so that when it is applied my town wont suffer. I am only thinking of what is already here and really just want to share my honest opinion on what may occur.

I can see the point that this would give a more true and closer reflection of where towns and the Kingdom are at as a whole. Whether that truer reflection creates a more fun environment for us all is another question and the reason i am raising these concerns.

I will be happy with Taxes or not and can see the advantages and disadvantages to both having and not having them. My only real point is i think its a little too soon and should wait for more active players first.

Regards Olaf

Maverichero

Lord of Timbervale
With talk of how much towns are becoming ghost towns, would it be prudent to maybe put in a temporary hold on making new towns? Give players more incentive to enter or put more effort into existing communities rather then making more.

Just a thought.

Master Pheonix

Lord of Altera
I agree with the taxes and also do not think its that much. As well with the technology today most people own smart phones, also the majority of cafes/ restaurants give free access to their wifi connections, that have access to the internet and don't even have to be around to play just to vote to keep their own account bursting with money to pay the taxes.

It really is not that hard to spend a minute just to click on the vote icon, also it does not only benefit you but also the server, as many a person have already mentioned it, and we are doing Cherbert/ Serrino a favour by voting. Its not asking much from anything just to vote once, twice or everyday per week, the moderators are correct by implementing tax and the incentive 500rads per vote. I'm not sure who mentioned it know but it also helps out weeding long term inactive players (might have been Lars).

Also considering what Maverichero said about putting a temporal stop to new towns may be a good point as there does not seem to be enough active players to populate these new creations. Furthermore I also understand people that want to start a new town since they have the money and resources to do so, myself have I have thought about it. I know people love being creative and want to start a new town in their own image so that they can show others what they can do and design but at this rate we are just going to end up with lots of barren towns.

So maybe a slight solution could be building projects by individuals that also include other people to help build and gather the resources. It would be like Fr3aKeD's Egypt project, a market in the desert and also a beauty spot for people to explore. Plus it would add plenty of RP opportunities for anyone that wants to get involved in something new. These are just a few of my opinions and suggestions that I wanted to make, hopefully it helps in some way :D

Your's faithfully,
Master Pheonix
(p.s. so for it being so long winded :p)

Steelcryo

King of the north!
Olaf you're points would be valid if you had any idea how this server works, both from an ingame perspective and from a technical perspective. We know how things work and what happens. This system works.

S

Stevey

Just for the record the upkeep was put on hold for now, its in one of the first earlier posts in this thread. I also deleted the original topic ages ago.

Master Pheonix

Lord of Altera
Olaf you're points would be valid if you had any idea how this server works, both from an ingame perspective and from a technical perspective. We know how things work and what happens. This system works.
I'm sure at some point we had some kind of tax going, ages ago, and it did not really bother anyone that it even existed.

t0rchic

Loyal Servant of Altera
I'm sure at some point we had some kind of tax going, ages ago, and it did not really bother anyone that it even existed.
Probably

I think the problems being caused by the new tax are because people are seeing it the wrong way. They think it's a large amount, but it really isn't. Yes, the tax will be an incentive to vote, but why not? You're playing the server often enough that the tax matters to you, why won't you take the very short time it takes to vote for it? If you still can't be arsed to vote because you're just that lazy, then that's your loss. Make up for it by spending half an hour on a quest rather than the easy 5 second vote.

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
Sorry t0r very off topic post, but whats your ingame name? Either its something different from your ingame name or I never see you online.

Brave Rubber Duck

Sally little helper
Evil
BraveRubberDuck
BraveRubberDuck
Evil
I actually have an idea that can motivate people to vote / pay taxes / etc.
Why not have an "objectives board" in town, like:
- Finishing your walls around the city
- Building a bigger market
- Expand territory

And to every one of those, there is an amount of money needed.
Even if there are people that don't pay, there are others that vote / sell stuff / make quests, and they will help up the city... And by helping the city, there will be some status / rewards like:
Over 2000 - free shop
Over 5000 - Noble, house on a different place
etc etc

Those who don't help, are simple villagers with nothing but a house.
The active ones, are important in town

t0rchic

Loyal Servant of Altera
Sorry t0r very off topic post, but whats your ingame name? Either its something different from your ingame name or I never see you online.
I'm t0rchic ingame, but I haven't had a chance to play much lately. Either way I've still been voting XD

Brave Rubber Duck

Sally little helper
Evil
BraveRubberDuck
BraveRubberDuck
Evil
Brave rubber duck you clearly have no idea how towns work in Altera
It was just an alternative way to get "tax money", using it to improve the city that you are in, and help the people that are active, while other people ended up with just a simple house... This concept can work, but the examples I gave are simply random.

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
It was just an alternative way to get "tax money", using it to improve the city that you are in, and help the people that are active, while other people ended up with just a simple house... This concept can work, but the examples I gave are simply random.
Read up on how towny works, you'll understand why Michael said that, and why i agree with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.