Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Unabridged

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Even though we've had one or two differences we've also certainly had some fun too! I only have the greatest of respect for you Naelwyn, both as a staff member and player and creating this thread has only added to that. I won't weigh in here on the topics brought up as I feel it isn't my place due to how very little I've ever actually roleplayed but if you (or anyone else) wants to discuss, throw ideas to me or simply rant a bit then I am all ears! I'll certainly read through the posts at least a couple more times and take on board everything said and I encourage everyone else to try and do the same.

Maybe we can also have some more friendly rivalry soon... A number of things have been happening recently which have caused me to not be around much on the server, some are now resolved and others may never be, but rest assured... I'll try and keep second only to Cherbert in McMMO Power Level! :p

- Boulder
This being the unabridged thread - Gah - try and enjoy it while it lasts because the Mojang change in 1.7.9 currently breaks the plugin and whether or not it will be updated is unknown.

Ratchat620

Lord of Altera
The first thing i would like to say is that people sometimes absolutely just don't get common sense and i really hate it. Also i think it is very unfair targetting the "rulemaker" when things don't go according to your own plan and the,n start complaining about how the server is not good enough and the staff should make it better. I haven't been a member of HollowWorld for a long time so i haven't experienced any of the changes that you made but according to what i hear from other people you have greatly improved this server. I also find it sad that now, just because people assume you can't do anything but being a staff member and because of that, you have "infinite" power you can't RP properly anymore and from what i have seen in your post you are a very -very- immersive roleplayer so it is truly a terrible thing to take the fun in that away by constantly complaining and treating you diffrently. Also i think you have the full right to stop being the "loreguy" for it is a fully voluntary position and you have done a great job doing it. I hope the majority of people will appreciate that.

(I hope that this comment will not attract hatred or spellingmistakes :p (my english isn't perfect))

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
@gaby Again, read the lore. The training system exists so players can't meta/powergame their way into powers, and:
@Baron

my thought is, instead of trying to limit solely by traditional notions of "training" or "mana," instead, perhaps think of the physical limitations of magic, what aspect of the world they manipulate, and how a mage trying to do something OP might hit a roadblock because they forgot the first law of Thermodynamics.
You're word-for-word describing the limitations of the system Nael wrote. Evokers are limited by available energy and can't break the First Law, Cogitants are limited by their ability to focus among other things, Mystics have a whole slew of things to keep in mind including sympathetic ability which lets them act on others' bodies as they would their own, and Thaumaturges could be compared to modern day PhD mathematicians.

I'm not discussing magic any further with you until you read the lore that months were spent creating.

Ratchat620

Lord of Altera
oh and i also have a little stupid idea for a combat system that relies on typing.
After you engage combat you will need to type the action you want to undertake. For example: "pierce", or "slash", or "block".
If you have, let's say a shield, you will only need to type out half the word "block" if you want to block, because it would be easier with a shield.
Or if you have a spear you would only have to type half the word "pierce".
This is just a stupid little idea that is probably not fair for it relies on the persons typing speed.
Ignore it if ou want to :)

Goldengem25

The Kingdom Crusher
Thanks for bringing up some issues. If it means anything I'd really just want the Engem to be capped at peaceful RP and for violent RP to be preorganized. I'll sort this out for my Engem members by organizing more events, with Piratep00f as my ideal for them. But still, it's been pretty solid for you to have devoted your time to atleast try (and a good amount of areas succeed) and help our little community out :)

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
Sooooo, what will happen to Legion? Afaik he's put a lot of time into his magic as well. And he has seemingly tons of inventions which I'm guessing are either powered by magic, or were created with the use of magic. Wouldn't this change pretty much destroy his character too?

Exclaimer

Lord of Altera
Sooooo, what will happen to Legion? Afaik he's put a lot of time into his magic as well. And he has seemingly tons of inventions which I'm guessing are either powered by magic, or were created with the use of magic. Wouldn't this change pretty much destroy his character too?
And Vorar too, isn't he powered by magic?

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Legacy characters tend to survive big changes - Vorar's been through two magic system overhauls just fine. Legion's technomancy is also quite resilient to changes in the magic system.

Anyways, who said we're doing away with magic altogether?

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
Anyways, who said we're doing away with magic altogether?
I announce that every aspect of the combined four discipline system of magic, every ability, every part of the system that provides any functional benefit to characters on this server is planned to be phased out entirely, from every active character that possesses it - until what we have left is an absolute, completely magicless blank slate.

FrostGuardian

Lord of Altera
Legend
FrostGuardian
FrostGuardian
Legend
Baron is saying that magic could return eventually, Naelwyn is saying that for now it has been completely removed.

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
I'm referring to how another system will likely spring up in time.
Seems like Naelwyn would be against any magic system that wouldn't be freely available to all. Otherwise he would be against it due to "Tall Poppy Syndrome".

FrostGuardian

Lord of Altera
Legend
FrostGuardian
FrostGuardian
Legend
Naelwyn said he would refuse to participate in the creation of another system, and instead would like to enjoy a new system as a player and not as the Lore Manager.

Pirapple

Lord of Altera
What I think would be best would be if we do release a new magic system, limit it's expansion to what the lorewriter allows. If it starts to break the bonds of what is strictly allowed and disallowed, an official decision would have to be made by the lorewriter as to what happens with what had happened.

Let's say the rules say no lightning hands, like in Star Wars. Someone bends the rules a little, and finds a way to channel the lightning through their body. That's edging on not allowed, even though it's not strictly in the rules. The lorewriter would have to decide if this could be added into the lore, or if it should not be added into the lore. Over time, magic could be expanded, but it needs restricting, and lore, and explanations for what spells/curses/etc. can do.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
@Pirapple That opens things up to players Tall Poppying people who use magic more cleverly than the rest and calling them out for doing anything even mildly different from the norm. Cue even worse OOC debacles after RP events.

brian larter

Settling in Altera
there are a variety of magic plugins for minecraft. Has anyone considered picking one and basing the lore around that? Its fairly simple to restrict once its set up.