Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Upcoming] The Alteran Games

Camicaxe

Lord of Altera
Did you even read what I said or did you just go off me calling you an idiot?
I did read it, Every message in this thread tbh. And i would like to see this event happening, I just dont understand why to add competitions like swimming and running.

Spark

Broken
I did read it, Every message in this thread tbh. And i would like to see this event happening, I just dont understand why to add competitions like swimming and running.
If you sprint jump the entire race, you will run out of food, if you sprint, your hunger will last longer, if you just run without sprinting, you will last longer than those sprinting but will have more hunger to sprint later when the others are slowing due to hunger, some may even perish due to exhaustion.
This is why its not just sprinting in a straight line. The event that IS an all out sprint will be a test of who can react fast enough at the start of the race.

To top things off, how is it possible to have an olympic inspired event without a running or swimming race? Its good for RP which is what this event is all about.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
The games are a competition between Noble Houses, I doubt you can complete as a town but we will take a look at the possibilities.

Also, Unarmed skill isn't something you can train overnight, to make the games fair we are using wool (boxing gloves).

And those that don't have a house?

Morpheus

Lord of Altera
Villager
Morpheus_Dream
Morpheus_Dream
Villager
Because there is skill involved, believe me we discussed every event before we added them to the list and decided that running and swimming would be added as there is skill involved in being faster than the next guy.
Sprint, this is affected by how quickly you can start the run, how smoothly you can run and how straight you can run.
While the long distance is a test of ones ability to conserve energy, because you can just try and sprint the race, but then you run out of food and can be overtaken or you die.
And swimming, you move faster on the surface of the water, if you drop under you slow down. And again this consume quite a lot of food bars to keep up. So it's a balance.

Morpheus

Lord of Altera
Villager
Morpheus_Dream
Morpheus_Dream
Villager
and if they don't want to, can they compete as a town or an organisation?
We've discussed this at length and unfortunately then you can't compete, it wouldn't fit with the back story to the event and wouldn't make sense.
However there is nothing stopping you from watching the events.
But as the majority of people are in a house and there are far to many cities for cities to be able to compete as separate teams.
So you've gotta join a house or you can't play, we tried but we couldn't find a way around this problem and this is the solution which works the best. We understand that this means not everyone can compete but hopefully houses will be kind enough to let people join to help them, even if it is just for the event.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
We've discussed this at length and unfortunately then you can't compete, it wouldn't fit with the back story to the event and wouldn't make sense.
However there is nothing stopping you from watching the events.
But as the majority of people are in a house and there are far to many cities for cities to be able to compete as separate teams.
So you've gotta join a house or you can't play, we tried but we couldn't find a way around this problem and this is the solution which works the best. We understand that this means not everyone can compete but hopefully houses will be kind enough to let people join to help them, even if it is just for the event.
ok, i'll talk with bodejodel.

Skeledude12

I think I might like it here
Breaking grass under someones feet...not very medieval

Actually I don't see why it can't be considered medieval. The concept of trying to knock an opponent off of a narrow pathway is about as old as competition gets. Logrolling, Jousting, and quaterstaff battles upon planks made famous in Robin Hood. In the long run, this is the competition correct, trying to knock the other person down? However, the decision is the decision, and I understand and respect that. ^^

What about the more traditional version of Spleef? What if the competition was a single log, divided by wool in equal parts. Enough room on either side for either man to manoeuvre, perhaps 3 blocks?

Competition Log:
Screen Shot 2012-08-20 at 1.54.14 AM.png

The idea is knock the opponent back with a stick into the water.

So how about a Logrolling Competition? (Woo Canada)

The Living Ghost

Thing One
Retired Staff
Your 'gladiator' style idea may be okay, but it doesn't have anything to do with digging under someones feet until they fall

Would look pretty ridiculous irl :D

Skeledude12

I think I might like it here
Your 'gladiator' style idea may be okay, but it doesn't have anything to do with digging under someones feet until they fall
I still think that because Hollow World is still Fantasy, some acceptions may be reasonable. I mean, mine cart archery is just as ridiculous as knocking dirt out from below someone in my opinion. However I'm not going to argue that anymore as the decision was already made on the Spleef tournament.

So a Log Rolling competition is my newest suggestion, along with Speed Skating.

Hopefully people like those ideas better.

The Living Ghost

Thing One
Retired Staff
Skeledude12 said:
I still think that because Hollow World is still Fantasy, some acceptions may be reasonable. I mean, mine cart archery is just as ridiculous as knocking dirt out from below someone in my opinion. However I'm not going to argue that anymore as the decision was already made on the Spleef tournament.

So a Log Rolling competition is my newest suggestion, along with Speed Skating.

Well I like your ideas :)

Seth_Jenkins

Lord of Altera
along with Speed Skating.
I personally like the sound of speed skateing, as I know peasants in the medieval times used Bone for the blades on their skates; however that was with Ice Jousting when they would skate on the frozen-over Rive Thames. I still like the idea though

Hilter

Legend of Altera
Will that races really be long enough that food conservation would be an issue? That's awesome, and if that's the case I think it would make the most sense rp wise to not allow the racers to bring any food with them. I'm excited to try to compete for House Lonmar.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Hilter that really brought to my mind the spectators that stand off to the side at marathon runs, handing the runners drinks as they pass by.

There could be spectators off to the side that toss some food to the runners at different points. That would be cool.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
we could do a massive marathon throughout cities?
people would give food and it would really be an endurance event.