Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Weapon Divisions

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Note: I am writing this in my capacity as a player. It is a proposal. Not considered official at this time.

I would like to propose that weaponry be divided into a set a categories to help people understand what they should and should not be carrying on them all the time, as weve all heard many a complaint and seen many a thread on that.

Lets just jump right into it.
(Note the number of the category has nothing to do with the attributes of the weapons within them, it is simply for naming purposes)
Category 1: "Takin a stroll to market"
These are the things your character would carry around with them every where. For the vast majority of you, this would be your short swords and daggers. Maybe a few normal-sized swords, and some relatively low-pound bows. These are the things you can carry around with you without getting tired out by the wait and can draw and use rather quickly, and possibly even conceal on you. For bows, the pound rating would have to be relatively low because, as any archer knows, you cannot keep it strung all the time and it would be pretty damn useless if it took you a minute to string it. This also means long bows dont fit in this category. (Which makes sense because who the hell uses long bows for self defense) So bows would be short bows of relatively low pounds. No crossbows here. There are some crossbows small enough to carry/conceal comfortably, but crossbows simply do not load quickly, at all. Ive seen a rather lot of people using crossbows using one "turn" to load them, and the next to shoot. This is not correct, but thats a different thread. Long swords dont really go here because they are heavier and slower-drawing weapons, as well as the fact that walking around everywhere with a longsword is sort of like having an assault rifle strapped to your back in modern times. Its just not quite appropriate. Everything larger than a long sword is obviously not in this category.

Category 2: "Im going somewhere dangerous/Im expecting to get in a fight"
This is where you break out your long swords and cross bows. When you are going on a mission or attending an event or doing something you know is dangerous, you might take the time to equip yourself a little better. This is your long swords, bastard swords, two handers, maces, short bows of high-pound (and Id say still not long bows), crossbows, etc, the weapons you often see most fighting-oriented characters carrying around with them most of the time (erroneously, in my opinion.). These are a little heavy and a little unwieldy, but not too terrible to carry around for long stretches of time. But they are still large enough and heavy enough and vulnerable enough (gotta maintain your weapons man) that you definitely wouldnt want to carry these with you everywhere.

Category 3: "Im going to war"
Heres all your heavy weaponry. Longbows, halberds, claymores, war hammers, pikes and longspears, battle axes, high power crossbows (the kind you would load with a winch or crank) etc. These are the things you get when you are going to war. You dont plan to carry these anywhere but on the path to the castle you are besieging or the army you are fighting. These things are heavy, and they are not ideal for carrying around while not being used. Longbows are here because realistically this is the only time they make sense to use. Longbows are too high pound to string, draw, aim, and fire quickly enough to be personal defense weaponry, and too large heavy and unuseful to make sense on minor missions or events. These are for very long ranges/punching through armor. A sort of litmus test is "Would I be surprised if there were siege engines used for this?" If yes, you might want to go down a size. If no, you're in the right place.

Armor is divided similarly, but its a little more vague.

Category 1:
This armor isnt really even armor. Mostly, this is your clothes. If you work with your hands or you hunt this might include some relatively high-duty leather pieces. If you are a fighting oriented character and you have the strength, maybe even some light-weight bracers or greaves.

Category 2:
This would be your light leather armors and assorted chain-mail pieces. If you are particularly tank-y you might even consider plate armor, if you are damn certain you won't have to do much traveling. Probably though you are gonna go for lighter armor variants. High coverage chainmail with bracers greaves and gauntlets is about the heaviest youd expect. These things, like the category 2 weapons, are a little heavy and a little awkward, but worth it if you expect to be endanger. They arent top of the line obviously, because you dont know what you will be facing and you might have to travel so you need versatility.

Category 3:
This is where plate makes the most sense, unsurprisingly. Still most wouldnt be strong or skilled enough to use plate effectively, so the high-end of Category 2 would get used here quite a lot.
But if you aren't going to war, you need to reconsider your plate armor.
Plate armor is heavy (dont say a damn word that it isnt.) and awkward (again dont say a damn word it isnt. My god the chafing, I shudder just imagining it) and its very specialized. You don't have a lot of versatility. You put this on because you know precisely what you are going to be doing, and that it involves someone with heavy weapons trying to kill you, and you trying to survive knowing you are going to get hit. You dont carry this stuff for long because you need to clean and oil it after every use or its going to get ruined. If you plan on traveling with this stuff, you're screwed. Lastly, no, you cannot swim in plate armor. Please dont even bring that up. I did an experiment. It wasnt even close. If you are interested I might put that in a thread.

So next time you need to figure out what your character should have on them for various situations, try to gauge where their equipment falls here.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
I was going to place an image here, but it failed, so I must instead say,

P R A I S E
T H I S
P O S T

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
You may want to rephrase Category 3, people will jut quote you on it and claim that you can't move well in plate armor, and throw you on the back and claim you can't get up by yourself lol.
(WHich you easily can btw even if you fall from a horse).

As for the swimming legion, nope no swimming, through paddling you might be able to cross river though.
If that wouldn't be the case wars would have been won by simply destroying all bridges.

Coincidentally I even found a myth busters video where they put plate in the water, but that was about protecting you from sharks, so he didn't try to keep himself over water, nor cross a river.

Last edited:

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
As for the swimming legion, nope no swimming, through paddling you might be able to cross river though.
If that wouldn't be the case wars would have been won by simply destroying all bridges.

..... Nope.
Rivers have an extremely powerful current, swimming across them without plate would have been in a challenge in itself. Characters would easily be swept away by it. Taking the river Knights Haven is built on for example, crossing that would be Damn near impossible due to the swift current and sheer size of the river.

Streams you could possibly cross, but nothing that had any form of current or width.

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
...I love the distinctions of the circumstances wherein each category would be feasible.

And, ah-
Lastly, no, you cannot swim in plate armor. Please dont even bring that up. I did an experiment. It wasnt even close. If you are interested I might put that in a thread.
Yes, please. :D

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
Considering the number or murders in Altera, I would not be surprised of tons of people walked around in Cat3 all the time.

Scardrac

Felsummer
Considering the number or murders in Altera, I would not be surprised of tons of people walked around in Cat3 all the time.
Scardrac has had enough people want to randomly murder him for the fact that he has "lived long enough". And since he isn't reclusive and is very active, I have him in plate armour a lot. Yet, I keep him out of the rain for more than like five minutes, and I don't have him swim.

Scardrac

Felsummer
I'd probably be running around with a fully stocked plate carrier with some AR500 steel plates in it and some fully decked out tactical gear if it weren't so restricted

idk

that's just me

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
Th
..... Nope.
Rivers have an extremely powerful current, swimming across them without plate would have been in a challenge in itself. Characters would easily be swept away by it. Taking the river Knights Haven is built on for example, crossing that would be Damn near impossible due to the swift current and sheer size of the river.

Streams you could possibly cross, but nothing that had any form of current or width.
e thing near haven isnt really supposed to be a river though, but more like a canal.

As for rivers the plate armors missing bouyance would actually play into your favor there since a heavier object is less likely to be swept away. Also not all rivers actually have strong enough currents to even stop you from normal swimming without plate. I aagree that it isnt adv

The Courier

Lord of Altera
Protip: Don't swim in plate armor if you want to live.

That's it, that's really it. Doesn't matter what you say, you'll end up flopping. Just recognize it, accept it, AND STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM WATER WHEN YOU'RE WEARING PLATE!

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
As for the whole "heavy armour" movement argument. It isn't difficult to move in so long as you have the training, and I doubt anyone would be wearing it if they didn't have the training.
Its even not difficult without training because the weight is distributed around your body. In fact its a lot more difficult to move with a modern day army pack (Full eqip) which does not only weight almost double as much but also has less weight distribution (I can assure you that the full pack was a hassle we had to carry it a few time during conscription + Weapon and helmet of course)

It still takes a long time to put on, help is required and you're probably not going to be able to move about in it; you aren't going to be going to the pub with your mates in it is what I'm saying.
I researched that topic recently when I gave Fronslin's char his Plate armor training since my Achduke char didn't really feel like helping a lesser noble out of it ;). Its fairly easy to put on or off by yourself. The theory in that Video/ where I read it why Squires were used for it then was that they were also a status symbol, which makes sense considering the time. I'll see if I can find it again. Knowing the principle that you can't find things you are looking for until you stop doing so I'm unsure whether I will though. My gues sis that it was in a documentation though as I can't find the post I'm looking for so it was probably a comment to a video.

The only thing that looks hard to put on is the breastplate since you got to connect it to the back plate btw.

Also its going to put a lot of people on-edge if they see a man wearing equipment designed for warfare wandering around town, even if these people are known to be soldiers. Similar to Police Officers wandering around with full-automatic weapons on a daily basis, it just isn't appropriate for the setting.
A police officer and a medieval soldier on guard duty can't really be compared.Weapons are far more regulated today than they were back then, so in theory there shouldn't be any need to wear bullet proof vests at all.
And of course it would put people on an edge, that is why I once refused to walk from one barrack to the other (even though it was just along the street) with my STG (Apparently that was normal though; Ok well the other reason why I didn't want that is that I was alone, so someone would have just to take me and my unloaded weapon out and would have had a fully automated assault rifle :p ).

But yeah, apparently they could have even told me to use the underground... (Did it to someone else, was even in newspaper)