Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

An Interesting Problem

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Hmm... these are good ideas, but I still have reservations about being forced into having guilds make bases on everyone else's land. The Cove, for instance, is ruled by the Pirates, and that's all. Even if the Inquisition came and tried to pull as many points as they could, it wouldn't make lore-sense for the Inquisition to have a foothold of power there. It's the main lair of the Pirates... if they couldn't hold it sovereign to themselves they'd go somewhere else. Same way that it breaks lore-sense for the king to have a giant military outpost at Riddleport. Riddleport is supposed to be a near-lawless safe haven, much the way Tortuga is in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. If the English were successful in plopping a giant army on it, it wouldn't be the Pirate safe haven anymore.... and since we don't want to force people to abandon towns they spent time and effort and radiants on, I think we should shy away from this taking over control mechanic we've got going on.

However, I do think it is an outright wonderful idea for Port Silver. Of course, the guards there would probably always be top position, but there could certainly be people fighting for power throughout the city as well.

.... Also, and I hope you all don't think me rude or demanding or whatnot, but I feel like the conversation has taken a turn away from the original intent, which is giving those in positions of power the mechanical power they need in order for them to actually be powerful in player's minds. I'd like to politely ask that the conversation be refocused on the point at hand - though we can certainly continue the discussion of how to determine who is in power in another thread, if someone would like to start that one.

Rextoret

Lord of Altera
I'd love to continue the previous conversation, but I'm too lazy to go set up the thread myself. So refocusing time-

All I can think of right now is the previously discussed topic of punishments, but we've already been over that. Anyone have any ideas regarding that topic of giving factions the actual power and control they need to make players actually fear/respect them?

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior
Honestly, I was under the impression that the previous conversation WAS an idea for attempting to solve the original issue.... I mean, if you think about it, it'd give the organizations/guilds a way to measure their power, thus allowing players to determine if they are worth being feared/respected, or if they're just pansies like the Pirates (lol joke's on Sally).

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Honestly, I was under the impression that the previous conversation WAS an idea for attempting to solve the original issue....
The problem is that even if we put up a list and point to it saying "Look guys, the Silvercloaks are the most powerful in Port Silver!" It won't stop players from disrespecting them and acting illogically around them, sitting on roofs, trying to constantly attack them, ect ect. We need some mechanical option open to groups in power so that they can actually wield said power.

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior
The problem is that even if we put up a list and point to it saying "Look guys, the Silvercloaks are the most powerful in Port Silver!" It won't stop players from disrespecting them and acting illogically around them, sitting on roofs, trying to constantly attack them, ect ect. We need some mechanical option open to groups in power so that they can actually wield said power.
I do see your point here... And unforunately, I'm not sure if there really IS another way besides some kind of enforcement; the exercising of punishments. Punishments, if executed quickly after the undesirable behavior, can actually be effective. Much like in Toma's previously-mentioned situation. In that instance, he had power. Of course, the captive probably didn't go by his character's choices and instead his own as a player... Which is another problem; players doing things not because it's what their character would do, but because it's what they, as a player, want to do. And I think that THIS is the heart of the problem. Most of the players don't disrespect the Silvercloaks and/or the Inquisition because it's what their characters would do, but what they personally want to do. And this is just due to crude roleplaying.

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior
I think the players need to just realize that their focus needs to be adjusted. It's a simple, yet major change probably.

It doesn't help that people want to win more than have fun.
Just as spark said, they want to win. They want their character to be the most badass, the most powerful, the most oporphanassassinninja in Altera. But that's not the point of Altera. The point IS to have fun.

Rextoret

Lord of Altera
Yeah... unfortunately, that's one issue that I don't think will ever be solved.
And that's why I'm so keen on bottlenecking applications so only those with clear talent are allowed onto the server. Seems as if every fool who can spell his username is whitelisted. T-T

I'm a big fan of formatted applications and clean-looking forms. That's another reason I'm so keen on it.

Spark

Broken
And that's why I'm so keen on bottlenecking applications so only those with clear talent are allowed onto the server. Seems as if every fool who can spell his username is whitelisted. T-T

I'm a big fan of formatted applications and clean-looking forms. That's another reason I'm so keen on it.
Some of the best roleplayers play to win.

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior

While that would probably help, it won't weed out those who're already whitelisted.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
well, it could help, but I don't think it alone would solve the issue.

However, lets look at the core issue. Players want to win, therefore they perform illogical actions. It seems to me the easiest way to correct the issue is to make players lose for illogical actions.

Discuss.

Rextoret

Lord of Altera
I'm just tossing ideas out there. Application improvements are off-topic anyway. Let's get back to talking about something that Pyro can use.

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior
Well... It may be a bit of an extreme thing to warn for, but if staff does do so, then perhaps it'll dissuade players from performing said illogical actions. However, the players might then counter with, "each player roleplays to his/her own tastes, so you can't warn for that." albeit, they might say it in a less-grammatically correct manner....

Rextoret

Lord of Altera
We could go a more in-game approach. If a guard sees a player on a roof, they could give said player a fine instead of just saying- "Don't do it again." That might dissuade illogical actions.