Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

EULA Shenanigans

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
It's also interesting to point that not even EA strikes down on donation systems. Battlefield allows server upkeep with minor perks through donors, and that's the same with pretty much every company. The only company so far to try this is Mojang as far as I know. We don't have to look far for games like TF2 or Counter Strike where the community thrives and the servers are always kept up because they can afford it thanks to donations.

Tarron

Lord of Altera
We don't have to look far for games like TF2 or Counter Strike where the community thrives and the servers are always kept up because they can afford it thanks to donations.
This. When people adore the game and the community they are a part of, they'll keep it alive, guaranteed.

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
Haha, spread the signature

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
Haha would be epic, I just thought that someone needed to make it :D :D :D

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Jeb's clarified that they won't be punishing people for donations or paying for plugin access. They'll be going after those servers who charge people for access to vanilla features like the use of diamond equipment, which they have no right to sell as it's Mojang's IP.

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
Jeb's clarified that they won't be punishing people for donations or paying for plugin access. They'll be going after those servers who charge people for access to vanilla features like the use of diamond equipment, which they have no right to sell as it's Mojang's IP.
So people can still donate for /fly?

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
I once played on a server that used a plugin against grief(not queen), you could use coal ore, lapis ore or redstone ore. When you would donate you would always get 5 of those depending on how much you donated, but is this also something of in Minecraft items, because they are way more useful then

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
I must admit, I'm having a hard time seeing what he's saying. The link he provided in that comment does almost exactly the same thing we do. The fact that this isn't an official "We're cracking down on this now" is a bit reassuring, but still.

It looks like they're trying to prevent predatory "donation" practices, which I don't believe we do. Additionally, I think the idea that you can make a flat charge for server access (and all the Minecraft content therein) but you can't request donations with any offer of rewards (Vanilla content or not) is a bit... backwards. The first seems like it would violate EULA more than the second.

I'm gonna go make bread and have a think. Perhaps pull up this infamous document and do some reading of the original nonsense.

*grumps off*

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
-Taken from the link Baron posted:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know how to add to it, but perhaps consider this excerpt from a PSA i'm writing.
So what can people sell to sustain thier server exactly?
Good question! There are several well defined answers to this.
You could sell priority service. Faster priority responses to grief/raid/spam etc. You could sell exclusive club acess. Have more say on changes to the server, discussion forums. You could sell titles. BUT WITHOUT BENEFITS. Say you donated 50$, you could get a nice little supporter title and the love of people who you have allowed to continue playing on the server.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, coloured titles, no physical benefits.

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
We use a system like that. Donations aren't P2W after all.
Excuse my outdated knowledge, but from what I remember, don't donators get things like Radiants, /fly perms, some sort of benefit from the horse plugin, things like that? All that would be in violation.