Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

EULA Shenanigans

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
This is quite ridiculous, and what's worse it cannot be planned around until they solidify what the heck they are doing.

That being said, in light of this I feel like a parody/satirical donation option - that is essentially donating for nothing, to be enabled - that grants the player a max-enchanted diamond sword with exactly one use left.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Excuse my outdated knowledge, but from what I remember, don't donators get things like Radiants, /fly perms, some sort of benefit from the horse plugin, things like that? All that would be in violation.

They appear to be more taking issue with restrictions on vanilla items than expansions via donations.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
And it's like they have no clue why people are still playing minecraft after all this time. Protip: It's not vanilla.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Next up you'll see them going after paid outside hosting to get every Minecraft server on Minecraft realms.

I'd say we're going to try and adapt to however this change comes down - but I'd say now is the time to be looking into alternative platforms as a contingency.

Fronslin

Based on what?
Retired Staff
Fronslin
Fronslin
Good
Well, where COULD we?
We need something with the creative freedom minecraft gives us, yet also lets us plan out things and allow players to RP.

We would need magic
we would need custom skinning
terrain and city creation/ editing...
We would need lots of things I cant even begin to describe.

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
I don't know any online builds games usefull for Rp but only LOTRO

Teeke

Lord of Altera
Starmade and Starbound both offer open sandbox type environments.... but are really geared towards space.
There are tons of minecraft knockoffs that might be looked into . . . ?

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
Just watched a trailer of starmade, it looks nice but if we would use that the lore needs to be changed a bit, because we don't just start living in the galaxy out of nothin

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
Just watched a trailer of starmade, it looks nice but if we would use that the lore needs to be changed a bit, because we don't just start living in the galaxy out of nothin
We're not going to fundamentally change HollowWorld by switching from a Medieval Fantasy server to some sort of Science Fiction space opera. As much as I love Science Fiction, just no.

Or we could stay in Minecraft.
Plan A. We need to just pay attention and determine what Mojang is doing (whenever they figure it out).

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
Alright I get it *walks over to a dark corner and mock to himself* "Silly sankera why did you came up with that"

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
Just gunna drop this out here as a contingency platform: Ultima Online. It's an old old MMO, originally designed to run on dial-up connections. Should be cheap and real easy to run. It offers a bit of character skin customization, but nothing like minecraft's skinning. More importantly, you can build houses. It's all medieval fantasy. The Ultima universe is one that I believe @cherbert is familiar with already. I gotta say . . I think it would be a nice match for us. Though it is a completely different viewing angle for playing the game.

And on second thought, there is next to no modding community that I know of. And it would most definitely be a downgrade from Minecraft in many ways.

JustTooRadical

Lord of Altera
Just gunna drop this out here as a contingency platform: Ultima Online. It's an old old MMO, originally designed to run on dial-up connections. Should be cheap and real easy to run. It offers a bit of character skin customization, but nothing like minecraft's skinning. More importantly, you can build houses. It's all medieval fantasy. The Ultima universe is one that I believe @cherbert is familiar with already. I gotta say . . I think it would be a nice match for us. Though it is a completely different viewing angle for playing the game.

And on second thought, there is next to no modding community that I know of. And it would most definitely be a downgrade from Minecraft in many ways.
Sounds like a good idea.

cherbert

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Founder
Retired Staff

The most cheapest and easily accessible platform is Neverwinter Nights. It has amazing GM tools and world designing ability. I think its unlikely we will need to move away from Minecraft unless Mojang fuck it up completley - so far the vague tweets from notch are borderline belligerent. At the moment they seriously don't seem to give a shit about server owners.

I'd advise people to look at NWN regardless as I have always wanted to host a server for it for D&D based RP.

NWN is available from gog.com. And if you are in the market to pre-order Witcher 3 from them they give you a free copy of Neverwinter Nights.

Pirapple

Lord of Altera
I don't think that this server will be hit with a C&D. There should be no reason to change games, even through we might lose perks from donating. This community is worth more than perks. I was planning on starting a subscription (almost to enough money for a couple years), but I didn't care about the perks, just the fact that I can help out the community, and think that I could get the support back from this community.

cherbert

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Founder
Retired Staff
I don't think that this server will be hit with a C&D. There should be no reason to change games, even through we might lose perks from donating. This community is worth more than perks. I was planning on starting a subscription (almost to enough money for a couple years), but I didn't care about the perks, just the fact that I can help out the community, and think that I could get the support back from this community.
I agree. I honestly feel there are enough people in the community who love it enough and probably already donate for the love of it.