Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Lore & History FAQ

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Don't get me started on that stuff. One of the old explanations for glowstone is that it's supertech remnants of the destroyed Earth, from which Grief came. Actual superadvanced tech that's way, way beyond our comprehension as Alterans.

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Don't get me started on that stuff. One of the old explanations for glowstone is that it's supertech remnants of the destroyed Earth, from which Grief came. Actual superadvanced tech that's way, way beyond our comprehension as Alterans.
It's adorable, you leave it alone.

Damascus

Legend of Altera
Right, but we need an unnecessarily complicated reason of why it's /more/ than that.
Uses magic to fuel a chemical reaction that generates light. It's a natural Netherish crystal and does this because of it's crystalline structure, composition, and arcane properties from forming in the Nether.

There, you have your explanation that is probably seven different kinds of wrong.

_Jaylor_

Loyal Servant of Altera
Glow stone actually comes from ye olde pig-mannish's word "Glauston", which means /Gold Stone/. Over the years, the pigmen have mined the naturally occuring gold shell for their weapons, unintentionally exposing the reactive underneath. This center of "Glauston" reacts to the chemicals in smoke, causing it to release light. Now that the gold shells are being over mined, all that remains is what we refer to as Glow Stone.

Boom done yer welcome everyone

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
Dragons are still a thing, hiding in the Northern Mountains,

real or not real?

quote peeta

Heie

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
I didn't see a section on the mobs in the sorrows. Is there anything on enderman and thier teleportation pearls? Are you allowed to use the pearls IC?

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
I didn't see a section on the mobs in the sorrows. Is there anything on enderman and thier teleportation pearls? Are you allowed to use the pearls IC?
Jishrim did it

Sir Saltington

Lord of Altera
Can someone take herbs/plants that exist in real life, and bring them in? Also, can they be used in alchemy for making IC potions or something like that?

Sir Saltington

Lord of Altera
You can find that answer in our lore forums here and here.~
What I was asking was if it is possible to make a potion that doesn't have a Minecraft equivalent. I wanted to know if you could enhance or negate effects of potions with certain herbs, or if you could create a completely new potion that isn't in Minecraft. As an example, you mix a certain type of plants and you get a potion that gives you poison resistances, or a potion that makes you 'lighter' in the sense of being able move a lot more easily, as if you had less weight. Those were only examples, but the two posts I read didn't say anything about things like that.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
What I was asking was if it is possible to make a potion that doesn't have a Minecraft equivalent. I wanted to know if you could enhance or negate effects of potions with certain herbs, or if you could create a completely new potion that isn't in Minecraft. As an example, you mix a certain type of plants and you get a potion that gives you poison resistances, or a potion that makes you 'lighter' in the sense of being able move a lot more easily, as if you had less weight. Those were only examples, but the two posts I read didn't say anything about things like that.
I believe the only alchemy potions are those present via Minecraft mechanics. If potions that didn't exist in Minecraft were allowed, it would be near impossible regulate. Runs the risk of someone claiming they combined eye of newt and tail of dog to make a flying potion, or whatnot. Sticking to base 'Potions' available in Minecraft, we can have some sort of explanation and understanding of the lore and what is/isn't possible. There are herbs and tinctures present via something like botany and herbology though, but would need IC research and/or a teacher to find out what certain plants did. Effects would be no different than what it would be in the real world.

Though the description of the movement potion sounds fairly similar to the description of a swiftness potion, though it does not decrease the mass of a person to make them lighter.

As for poison resistances, there's no potion to make one resistant, but again, there are ways to create a tolerance to such things. But runs the risk of doing damage and actually poisoning yourself to create that tolerance. I wouldn't recommend trying unless you're dedicated to properly RPing the steps and associated dangers. Even then, if not properly RPed, runs the risk of getting into dodgy situations to say you're resistant to something after too short an OOC time span.

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
The only 'potion'-like shenanigans that can occur beyond Minecraft mechanics would be these:

1) Realistic Medieval-era concoctions and uses of herbs/plants

Not permitted would be taking your pick of herbs, throwing them into a cauldron, and suddenly having a cure for dysentery or a potion to turn someone into a frog.

Examples of realistic uses include: A poultice of Frankincense, Mint used to treat wounds, Thyme as a fumigate, and so forth.

Bearing in mind: While some may have some genuine usefulness (for example, people used to chew on Willow bark for various pain-relief purposes, where the active ingredient was salicin - closely related to modern aspirin), many will have very limited effect, some are very likely to be balderdash (though this makes excellent RP!), a few potentially downright harmful.

Also important to remember is to avoid meta-gaming large chunks of herb lore at a time. There are a ton of sources online, so it can be tempting to assume knowledge in-game very quickly and without much roleplay. However, far more fun can be experimentation, research in-game (does not need to be done via forum conversation provided you take some time to actually roleplay the process and do some homework OOC!), and getting things wrong occasionally. ;)

2) Yer character is a wee bit potty and invents imaginary potion nonsense

If your character suffers delusions of grandeur and the strange desire to mix eye of newt and toe of frog, then they're probably going to suffer disappointment soon afterwards. That, and a serious stomach ache.