Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Server World (important)

Will you be staying with us?

• Hollow World is my home!

Votes: 42 100.0%
  • Don't agree with the World Reboot, see ya!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SqueeGurl

Le Original Queen
I'm sure everyone in the last few days has noticed the severe spiking in the Lag on the server. I for one was victim to it just last night. We discovered the lag was mainly due to the size of Hollow World's Map size. It had reached far too large to be stable.

Sadly, we had to reset the World.

This means, though yes, Daggerfall is still there, nothing else built before the Map reset was carried over.

Know that you are not the only ones who lost all your hard work. I understand that some of you will be angry, but I ask, as a fellow player, not as a member of the Admin team, that you bear with us here. There was little else we could do to deal with the lag. A portion of the lag came from the use of the /item and the /give command, so now, we all start over. The price we pay for... dare I say it, Laziness.

Now, we have eliminated the use of these commands, and ask that everyone play as Legitamately as possible. This includes your Admin team. We will not be spawning items, even for our own builds, at the request of Cherbert. I for one, back him up 100% on this.

I personally will not be surprised if some of you choose to leave us, though I will be sad. We have a great userbase here, and I hope that everyone will stick around to help us make Hollow World better than it was before, all through the use of legit items, gained from everyone's hard work.

To those that lost countless hours of hard work, I am sorry. I too lost a bit, but it can't be helped. It was for the overall good of the server. We had too many things, too many abandoned projects, and it was just the best solution we had. I hope to see you all still on the Server.

-SqueeGurl

RyanAvx

Villager
It is a good idea I think, to stop spawning items, not too bothered about losing everything, I like starting from new :D

Sinshi

I think I might like it here
I agree with Ryan, makes it more fair when building and a tad more adventurous.

Kaies

Grand Lizard
I am a bit annoyed, however i have only been here two days and had not made much of Castle Black, besides i all ready found a better place for it!

Zelrokytz

Lord of Altera
To be blunt, I am pissed off. I spent a lot of time just poring over the online map in order to find a suitable place to build before even starting. I question the value of being on a online server which wipes the map overnight, which has performance issues (ignoring the fact that these are apparently linked to the previous world size, after all, what happens when the map legitimately reaches the same size as it was?), and which has little communication from the admins over what's happening... maybe there is coms on TS which I haven't connected to yet, maybe they are just more busy that we are given them credit for.

So, I'm unsure. I don't want to pour heart and soul into a creation which I have no control over - I might as well just stay in SP mode if that's the case.

I'm not going to make a snap decision as they are usually wrong (and I'm trying not to be overly negative in this post, I know you guys are trying. But I also know that communication from "those on high" is one area that pretty much every online community fails at). I'll probably poke around tonight and try and find a new suitable site for "Cragside v2" and see how it goes.

Edit: One thing that will probably make me hang around is the quality of the constructions. My own builds are quite basic in comparison to some other peoples works, which is the big advantage a server like this has to offer - inspiration.

SqueeGurl

Le Original Queen
You have no idea how much I understand Zel. We're doing what we can to make sure this server stays stable, and continues to be successful. One thing I know that Cherbert and Sherbzz said themselves, is that they honestly did not expect the server to become this popular, this fast. The boom in interest certainly didn't help matters.

Should this ever have to happen again (I highly doubt this as now everything seems to be alright) I'll make sure people are informed as soon as possible. What I do know though, for a fact, is that last night, the lag was so terrible, people could not connect at all for a period of time. Ducati informed me of this not long after I had logged to go to bed. (I hate this 5-6 hour time difference.)

As I'm sure you can tell, I try to let everyone know what's going on, when I can. I like to think of myself as a form of crowd control, so everyone knows about as much as I do, unless the rest of the Team would like to keep something hush hush.

One thing I can promise you though, is that you are not the only one upset by this decision. There was loads of builds lost. I believe the only thing saved was Daggerfall, though I'm sure there's backups of Moria and Helmsdeep, though I am not 100% sure on those two. I wasn't home when this all happened. Trust me, I was not pleased at all when I heard it was happening, and it was totally out of my control.

I've already had one user more or less 'rage quit' on me when they found out what happened. It's not a good thing to have to deal with, alone, with such a large userbase, but I'm doing the best I can for you guys.

As far as communication from 'those on high' goes, I understand where you're coming from. In my experience as a Mod or Admin within any community, I've seen either a total lack of 'show' from them, or they're all over everything and totally involved. I try to be totally involved in as much as I can, because I know how good it feels when a member of an Admin team can and will personally get involved at times.

I really hope you stick around.

SanchezNI

Lord of Altera
Zel, I hope you stick around too.

Bare in mind that with the increase in latency and the increase in userbase, making the change now was probably the right time to do it.

It's important to remember that we're all in the same boat; my proudest build was on the server but it was wiped for the good of the server.

Anyway, I suspect I have to stick around after suggesting the map reset :) It'd be a bit hypocritical to leave :D

I'm actually looking forward to a new world. Not going to use the online map either, explore it as its meant to be explored. I'm looking forward to moving into a village or creating one with a few folk and contributing to that village. Making money for it, getting more resource for it and turning it into a bad ass city. That is the true meaning of the server. It's a kick in the teeth the reset for a lot and a step backwards but it allows us to move forward and in my opinino have one fo the best servers around.

Master Pheonix

Lord of Altera
I personally support the no item spawning and such methods, although it made it easier, since it took away some main principles of the game that you have to go out there and mine and create everything. I really like how the spawning and commands have been stopped and we can now be a little less lazy and go out there mine a huge hole to find our diamonds and other resources and get blown up by our best mates the creepers =P

Steelcryo

King of the north!
If anyone feels that they are missing some information just jump on teamspeak and send me a message and i'll try and come and explaine all the server happenings you have questions about. It's a bit of a pain to try and talk ingame due to getting asked a million questions everytime i mention something about the server.

As for losing buildings, I've been hit as hard as any body as I lost helms deep :( Moria will be returning but that won't I don't think.

RedJelloHead

Villager
To be honest, i have no idea why we had Helms Deep and Moria on the server.
they were completely random, eyes sores and did not deserve a place on an "rp" server, on a build server maybe, but not Hollowworld.

I might stick around, i don't know, i got rather bored of the old map so maybe this'll help me get sparked again.

T10tf

Lord of Altera
To be honest, i have no idea why we had Helms Deep and Moria on the server.
they were completely random, eyes sores and did not deserve a place on an "rp" server, on a build server maybe, but not Hollowworld.

I might stick around, i don't know, i got rather bored of the old map so maybe this'll help me get sparked again.
I think you're totally right but its still hard to see your piece of work destroyed, especially something as epic as helms deep.

Also I think its great feeling equal or at least more equal to higher ranks!

cherbert

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Founder
Retired Staff

WTF?

Thats the most stupidst statement I have ever heard. How can you claim Moria doesn't have roleplay potential?

eye sore?

And as for getting bored... it is getting to the point now where we are turning people away from whitelist due to the sheer number of applicants. I'd be happy to un-whitelist you for those comments and let someone else in with more enthusiasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.