Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Server World (important)

Will you be staying with us?

• Hollow World is my home!

Votes: 42 100.0%
  • Don't agree with the World Reboot, see ya!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedJelloHead

Villager
WTF?

Thats the most stupidst statement I have ever heard. How can you claim Moria doesn't have roleplay potential?

eye sore?

And as for getting bored... it is getting to the point now where we are turning people away from whitelist due to the sheer number of applicants. I'd be happy to un-whitelist you for those comments and let someone else in with more enthusiasm.
Moria and such have roleplay potential if you're doing a LotR roleplay, yes.
But it doesn't mean they should be anywhere else.
It'd be like putting Hogwarts here, or why not the ship from Serenity?
In a non LotR roleplay i believe it has no place.

And yes, i was getting bored, i had built a town and hadn't really much left to do, as i knew you wouldn't want me to build several different abandoned towns all over the world.
Where roleplay hadn't started up, what was i meant to do?
Now the world has been reset it means i can make a new town, if i'd like, or anything. As it'd be my first building/creating on this new world.

If you want to unwhitelist me due to these comments, then fine. Though it extremely petty.

SqueeGurl

Le Original Queen
Just my two cents here RedJelloHead, but calling another person's build, no matter what it is, or who did it, an eyesore, is really tactless. Moria has a separate function on the server aside from just being a copy of something someone saw somewhere.

Were Hogwarts to appear on the server, it would have to be a damn good build, considering the scope of the place. Who knows, we might keep it, because it falls under the Medieval Fantasy setting. As for 'the ship from Serenity', are you referring to the movie Serenity that was a spin off of the Firefly series?

If so, that would decidedly NOT fit on the setting of the server, and would thusly be removed.

Roleplay is about using your imagination. If you can't imagine Moria having potential on the server for anything outside of Lord Of The Rings roleplay, perhaps this server isn't for you.

T10tf

Lord of Altera
Just my two cents here RedJelloHead, but calling another person's build, no matter what it is, or who did it, an eyesore, is really tactless. Moria has a separate function on the server aside from just being a copy of something someone saw somewhere.

Were Hogwarts to appear on the server, it would have to be a damn good build, considering the scope of the place. Who knows, we might keep it, because it falls under the Medieval Fantasy setting. As for 'the ship from Serenity', are you referring to the movie Serenity that was a spin off of the Firefly series?

If so, that would decidedly NOT fit on the setting of the server, and would thusly be removed.

Roleplay is about using your imagination. If you can't imagine Moria having potential on the server for anything outside of Lord Of The Rings roleplay, perhaps this server isn't for you.
If roleplay is using your imagination, then how is copying something using it? I think moria was fantastic btw.

cherbert

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Founder
Retired Staff
If roleplay is using your imagination, then how is copying something using it? I think moria was fantastic btw.
Oh right... so who hasn't copied Tolkien?

Every fantasy book, tv series and film (and computer game) since 1937 stems from Tolkien.

Moria is a dwarven kingdom. Should Blizzard get rid of Ironforge?

Everyones fantasy imagination was copied from Tolkien. Moria is just something we called it until we could figure out a new name for it and fit it into our own history.

SqueeGurl

Le Original Queen
Mimicry is the highest form of flatery.

So yes, while copying something you've seen may not seem like using your imagination, it takes imagination to take an image and replicate it in 3D, which they did. No one's saying you have to agree, I'm just saying be respectful of other people. Admin or not, it's just the polite and mature thing to do.

T10tf

Lord of Altera
Oh right... so who hasn't copied Tolkien?

Every fantasy book, tv series and film (and computer game) since 1937 stems from Tolkien.

Moria is a dwarven kingdom. Should Blizzard get rid of Ironforge?

Everyones fantasy imagination was copied from Tolkien. Moria is just something we called it until we could figure out a new name for it and fit it into our own history.
That is a bit of a generalisation, Tolkien had influences (He did not invent the idea of elves/dwarves etc) and so have many writers after him (tolkien himself), but there is a clear difference between being influenced and copying, the builds were not moria-inspired they were moria a definite difference in my opinion.

Mimicry is the highest form of flatery.

So yes, while copying something you've seen may not seem like using your imagination, it takes imagination to take an image and replicate it in 3D, which they did. No one's saying you have to agree, I'm just saying be respectful of other people. Admin or not, it's just the polite and mature thing to do.
I can't see where I've deen disrespectful, I apologise if you think I have been...I did say I think they were both epic builds but just not imaginative...

Steelcryo

King of the north!
They might not take as much imagination but they take a lot more effort to build. If your building something you thought up you can make changes and such as you go along, if you're copying something then you need to stick to the plan which can cause a lot of problems with such limited physics/building materials

T10tf

Lord of Altera
They might not take as much imagination but they take a lot more effort to build. If your building something you thought up you can make changes and such as you go along, if you're copying something then you need to stick to the plan which can cause a lot of problems with such limited physics/building materials
I never disputed that, and I'm sorry for your loss :(

SanchezNI

Lord of Altera
It's simple. C.S. Lewis and Tolkien were influenced mostly by beautiful scenery (Go on the Mournes!) and old medieval legends and wives tales. In turn, more modern fantasy writers have been influenced by Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. I remember reading a fantasy novel about nine black riders who weren't quite living and weren't quite dead. It wasn't Lord of the Rings and it was very highly acclaimed.

Point is, yes, it was called Moira. Yes, Helm's Deep was called Helm's Deep but they'd have performed entirely different functions in a roleplaying setting. Eyesore, they certainly were not.

We all like to think we're fantasy afficionados but if you think of "orc" and don't think of how Tolkein imagined them (Which incidentally is exactly how the Warhammer Fantasy Battle series imagined them) then you're probably telling a wee porky.

Master Pheonix

Lord of Altera
To he honest I wish I got to have a really good look around Moria but I was too late. Although I'm sure that there will be plenty of awe inspiring builds to come in this server.

LavaStar

Villager
I havent got on yet, and i know that this is a good idea. Limiting the itemcommands will take down some lag, and i always love to go legit too, in fact, i think cobble stone makes good fantasy buildings... and whats there alot of legit?
I can't wait to help rebuild

Semperumbra

Loyal Servant of Altera
restarting is good it lets us all change how we live in this world or where we live. it also a chance to learn from past mistakes

Status
Not open for further replies.