Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

State of Events (Q2 2016)

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
All of you need to realize that what we do as a Staff is volunteer work, we do this for our own enjoyment.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
All of you need to realize that what we do as a Staff is volunteer work, we do this for our own enjoyment.
Being a volunteer does not mean you have to work any less. Firefighters and soldiers are volunteers. Although I'm not saying it isn't for your own enjoyment - is anything on this server for a purpose other than pleasure, tbh? - it's a position with requirements and expectations.

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
Being a volunteer does not mean you have to work any less. Firefighters and soldiers are volunteers. Although I'm not saying it isn't for your own enjoyment - is anything on this server for a purpose other than pleasure, tbh? - it's a position with requirements and expectations.
When did I ever state we work less ? For gods sake, we've spent countless hours on this event chain and I understand you want to state concerns, just sittting there harsh picking apart what we do is hard enough for us to manage.

Cukie1

Essentially a Chihuahua
Aware Single
Legend
Pronouns
She/Her
Cukie1
Cukie1
Single
Please, keep in mind. Nearly all staff work is also backstage work, as I like to say. What is exposed can sometimes be the minimum of the work that's actually put into it.

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
Then alter the event in accordance with player feedback?
See, this brings up the point that I feel like needs to be made. You all have the right to voice what you think needs to be said, but shitposting and taking stabs at the staff team makes our work even harder for us. We do this because we want to, Glados.

Edit: Also, its a story, if we tell you the reason for everything in the first event, it ruins the whole idea of it.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
When did I ever state we work less ? For gods sake, we've spent countless hours on this event chain and I understand you want to state concerns, just sittting there harsh picking apart what we do is hard enough for us to manage.
We is a stretch.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
Never in my post did I state that you work less.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
Let's not get uncivil.

Cukie1

Essentially a Chihuahua
Aware Single
Legend
Pronouns
She/Her
Cukie1
Cukie1
Single
Anger and insults has a fine line, please, this is meant for discussion not for riling up emotions. Keep it civil.

Azur

Lord of Altera
Lover
Legend
A_Z_U_R
A_Z_U_R
Lover
There's been so many complaints about staff doing things in the background, you'd think there'd be a push by staff members to make things more public in order to avoid issues like these.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
I'm getting heated because it's turning into 'Innocent staff get attacked by bad players who just say criticism that we don't need to listen to' again. I've heard direct reactions to previous attempts, including 'It's only them throwing a tantrum.'

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
I have greatly enjoyed my exploring RP. In fact it's been the only RP I've been a part of in the past month or so. That said if I found a Bastion location and cannot enter ICly to wibbly reasons I'd be upset too probably but I have no idea on the specifics as I wasn't a part of any of this. If it appears as Cap and team seem to present it I get their anger. Azure n crew wouldn't invite Anhald to a Bastion if they found one I see no reason they should be forced to invite us.

A nice IC way to force a larger group is to make it exceedingly dangerous. Something that kicked a group of Anhald butt and forces them to ask for help from other groups sounds amazing. Maybe the last huge tribe of Earthspawn or Greylings guard the place and numbers exceed what their players alone can handle.

As for DMs I know Balatro has done a wonderful job for mine and Sankera group. He's worked with us and pulled other folks in to help when needed.

Cukie1

Essentially a Chihuahua
Aware Single
Legend
Pronouns
She/Her
Cukie1
Cukie1
Single
But that only arises the issue of 'they've heard all of this before' which ends up in actually being a tantrum. They're trying to work on it, but honestly, staff work does get to you. Think of it like this, if someone is constantly nagging someone about the same topic over and over again, while that person is trying to do it, they'll end up being yelled at, scolded, or just dismissed until it's done. Really, it's all about patience, and patience can include months of time. Many times, things that are ready for the public, cannot be given, because other things need approval, and it ends up being an escalating dilemma.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
If the best defense available is 'Staff are people too' and 'The two year wait we've had for progress while the server falls behind all competition is an expected and necessary thing' I'm not even gonna bother replying.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
But that only arises the issue of 'they've heard all of this before' which ends up in actually being a tantrum. They're trying to work on it, but honestly, staff work does get to you. Think of it like this, if someone is constantly nagging someone about the same topic over and over again, while that person is trying to do it, they'll end up being yelled at, scolded, or just dismissed until it's done. Really, it's all about patience, and patience can include months of time. Many times, things that are ready for the public, cannot be given, because other things need approval, and it ends up being an escalating dilemma.
'It's being worked on, don't worry boys and girls' is not a good enough answer and it just makes us want the thing more and grow more impatient. If staff want us to stop nagging, they need to give us more progress reports and deadlines. If I, the player, know nothing about the progress of something I've been waiting for for a year, how do I know that it's even being worked on?

Arken

is Barken
ArkenGuard
ArkenGuard
Good
Yeah, I'm with Rygan. As an older guy, it's real disappointing to see what Hugboxworld has become. Tired of excuses.

Tempy_

Insert Custom Title here
Tempy_
Tempy_
These arguments keeping coming back, and each time when I see them being adressed, it usually results in one side saying the other is just shitposting, and all previous points brought up are, for the public eye, ignored. And before anyone goes and tells me "It's written down/noted and staff definitely knows about it and are trying to fix it", the entire problem with transparency comes up. As far as I am aware, I have seen nothing being done about most points previously brought up, and all threads just ended in some dead-end argument. I applaud staff for their work, as I am fully aware most of you guys are not just sitting in a corner and snuggling one another like one big circlejerk of hugs, but so far, I have agreed with every point made up in the threads posted by Rygan, or the comments made by Cap, however 'salty' or 'shitpost-y' they might have been.

They got fair points, points that should be listened to , and not so easily written off as shitposting or taking jabs at staff. It is easy to push a group of people in a corner and call them "salty invidiuals that don't understand how tough it is to be staff", and how it is far harder to accept the fact there are faults, and work on it all. And if you are working on it, show it, so we are assured that shit is being done. Other wise, you get comments like these, and all staff can do is take it personally as they very well may be working on the problems mentioned, but the players don't know about it. Show us at least a bloody shimmer of spoilers so we can be reassured our problems with staff, with the events and with the system are being worked on and not cast aside, instead of just crossing your fingers it all goes away. Because if you do the latter, it won't fix anything, and probably will just make it worse.

Furthermore, if you cannot take jabs at the system of staff, or even try to criticially look at what might at first glance seem like a shitpost, you honestly should not be staff. It's a tough job, and even if it is 'voluntary', it is certainly not easy. You work hard, you have to take a lot of salt and stress, and at the same time please a big community of different opinions and looks on how things should be done. And that is tough to do, I am fully aware, and I applaud staff for still being able to do their work, however if you as a staff member start to use words such as "shit posting" , "salt" and whatnot, you should probably just take a step back and let others handle it.

I am not trying to shitpost, I am not trying to infuriate anyone, as I never usually post on these kind of topics. I apologize if anything is interpreted as being salty or whatnot. (also english is not mi native language forgive spellin mistakes pls danke schon)