Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Too many heroes (and more)

Architect360

Loyal Servant of Altera
Oh god was it crm's lich character :l
No, it was a guy called Tjibbe_Spoelstra, wearing a "diamond skin", calling himself the first diamond creature in all of Altera, and apparently that gave him superpowers! Come on, can we please stop this nonsense Roleplaying!

Eric V

Legend of Altera
Hire my mercenaries to hunt him down and run a sword through his gut? Wait ill do it for free :rolleyes:

JK that would be murder :D <.< …. >.>

Anyway lets stay on topic

Speckhart

I think I might like it here
You want to be a warrior? Fine stop farming, stop mining, and go throughout the northern kingdoms hunting down monsters for people, the point is to immerse yourself in the community, we have farmers to provide food, miners to provider iron, and soldiers to defend cities, these people role-play together, and grow together.
If you read my post you'll see why this is a false assumption. Standing armies are a relatively recent invention and except for a few exceptions like the army of the Hungarian king Mathias Corvus did not exist during medieval times. They existed before that, in the form of the post-Marian reform Roman legions but for the vast majority of history armies consisted of noblemen leading levies, including the vast majority of the European middle ages. Later on, near the renaissance they were increasingly replaced by professional mercenaries like the Italian condotierri or the retainers of the great English magnates but still no standing army.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
If you read my post you'll see why this is a false assumption. Standing armies are a relatively recent invention and except for a few exceptions like the army of the Hungarian king Mathias Corvus did not exist during medieval times. They existed before that, in the form of the post-Marian reform Roman legions but for the vast majority of history armies consisted of noblemen leading levies, including the vast majority of the European middle ages. Later on, near the renaissance they were increasingly replaced by professional mercenaries like the Italian condotierri or the retainers of the great English magnates but still no standing army.
your forgot the Papal / Jerusalemite / Crusader armies. All three were permanent, the teutonic/templar and such were standing armies and their only job was fighting. But, they got killed too in the Crusades and Jerusalem got conquered.

Speckhart

your forgot the Papal / Jerusalemite / Crusader armies. All three were permanent, the teutonic/templar and such were standing armies and their only job was fighting.
They were not standing armies, they were armies raised for a single campaign. The Teutonic Knights and Knights Templar/Hospitallier were not standing armies neither, they were monastic orders who among other things were sworn to protect pilgrims, but they also engaged in banking, agriculture, shipping and in many cases acted more like feudal states under vassalage to the Pope.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
The Teutonic Knights and Knights Templar/Hospitallier were not standing armies neither, they were monastic orders who among other things were sworn to protect pilgrims, but they also engaged in banking, agriculture, shipping and in many cases acted more like feudal states under vassalage to the Pope.
And that's where i can debate with you for hours. Being a ''monastic order'' was only a cover, or the first idea they had. The knight templars were at the same time bankers, lord AND soldiers. The orders (teutonics, hospitaliers, templars, of St-john, etc.) all had standing armies of crusaders always training/waging war. It is true that some of them acted as bankers and land barons, but the holy orders were military organisations. The kingdom of Jerusalem (that didn't last long) had its permanent army to defend agaisnt heathens (the muslims).

we should re-rail naow.

Speckhart

And that's where i can debate with you for hours. Being a ''monastic order'' was only a cover, or the first idea they had. The knight templars were at the same time bankers, lord AND soldiers. The orders (teutonics, hospitaliers, templars, of St-john, etc.) all had standing armies of crusaders always training/waging war. It is true that some of them acted as bankers and land barons, but the holy orders were military organisations. The kingdom of Jerusalem (that didn't last long) had its permanent army to defend agaisnt heathens (the muslims).

we should re-rail naow.
The army of the Kingdom of Jerusalem was only a permanent army in the sense that it was permanently at war. And being a monastic order was certainly not a cover, since you'll find that except for their unusually military minded agenda they acted just as the other monastic orders of their time. Moreover, they were not always at war as you claim.

bowduim400

Legend of Altera
Stop this, Off yopicness i just created this to say we need common people not only super heroes as your dream wont come true 9 of the 10 times. I didtn want 4 pages of spam!

Spark

Broken
Valonyx said:

we should re-rail naow.

Speckhart said:
The army of the Kingdom of Jerusalem was only a permanent army in the sense that it was permanently at war. And being a monastic order was certainly not a cover, since you'll find that except for their unusually military minded agenda they acted just as the other monastic orders of their time. Moreover, they were not always at war as you claim.
This is a fictional world not real life, it doesnt have to be the same.

Sir_FlapJack

Loyal Servant of Altera
That is a great idea! But as a monk, i'm not sure what i'd have to do to earn that title. It would require some thought.

Architect360

Loyal Servant of Altera
That is a great idea! But as a monk, i'm not sure what i'd have to do to earn that title. It would require some thought.
Thanks!! Maybe the title could be given to you after you devote yourself to a religion? Im just getting the thing rolling, not actaully making it :p

The Living Ghost

Thing One
Retired Staff
Architect360 said:
Thanks!! Maybe the title could be given to you after you devote yourself to a religion? Im just getting the thing rolling, not actaully making it :p
Yeah, but this idea would require a huge amount of work with coding, and there would have to be exceptions for people like monks or ghosts that their titles are given to them without them having to do anything

Sassy

Lord of Altera
Legend
SewSassy
SewSassy
Legend
Seems legit, i just chose a simple monk , forever tasked in service to the deities. I find it alot more fulfilling and fun then having to RP about oh i will slay this evil and save that princess, becuase there's very few evils to slay and princess' to save. But faith is my business and let me tell you, business is good.
You totally just lost 2 respect-points as soon as I read the first two words in that comment.

Machy234

Lord of Altera
Yeah, but this idea would require a huge amount of work with coding, and there would have to be exceptions for people like monks or ghosts that their titles are given to them without them having to do anything
I think there should be several you start with and you can expand one to the next and so on. So Sailor can become First Mate, then Captain, then Admiral.
I'm sure there are other roles that could advance like that and religion is one of them. You could start as Brother/Monk Flapjack, then go on to Priest and so on. I can't think of what you'd have to do to progress however.

We'd have to restrict some to donator ranks as well as after doing certain task(s) aswell though.

The Living Ghost

Thing One
Retired Staff
Machy234 said:
I think there should be several you start with and you can expand one to the to the next and so on. So Sailor can become First Mate, then Captain, then Admiral.
I'm sure there are other roles that could advance like that and religion is one of them. You could start as Brother/Monk Flapjack, then go on to Priest and so on. I can't think of what you'd have to do to progress however.
Um, it could go ghost then reaper (only two because not many people RP as a ghost) and to progress you have to be me :D

Machy234

Lord of Altera
Anyway, I'll plan all the titles out in a neat and pretty way and try to think of some ways to progress. I'll then post it in suggestions. :)
Ok?

The Living Ghost

Thing One
Retired Staff
Machy234 said:
Anyway, I'll plan all the titles out in a neat and pretty way and try to think of some ways to progress. I'll then post it in suggestions. :)
Ok?
Sounds like a lot of work for one person to do!