Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Call of Duty ruined a generation of FPS players?

Valcust

Lord of Altera
Can people please stop arguing about this? Honestly, I think it simply brings us down as a gaming community when a genre of gamers can't accept that there's a popular shooter that they don't particularly like ._.
People have different tastes. I have my own opinions, though I won't state them, yet I aknowledge the opinion of those who prefer that which I do not.
Someone says something bad about your favorite shooter? Nod and let them be.
Someone says something completely untrue? Unless they're in a particular position of power, just let them be stupid on their own.
Stop acting like a franchise is a religion. In another ten years, all these things will be dead and we'll be laughing at how primitive these games looked to begin with.

Bottom line: stop your whining and get along.

Yoda

Lord of Altera
Uzi, this is the Skorpion side of CoD. You step on its pincers and realise it has a tail... Okay47, basically, in ten years the franchise will bounce back, whether you're going ballistic at it or not. So get your mac11 (coat) and throw your opinions into the sea4.

That was awful. Erm, sorry.

Silvertread

Lord of Altera
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate CoD. It's a good series. What I dislike is the fact that the companies are making the same games over and over again, and just adding a new number to the title and a few maps and guns. And that people keep fuelling it.

Oh, and don't get me started of Medal of Honor: Warfighter. :p

Valcust

Lord of Altera
*facepalm* While I continue to say argument is completely useless, because games are games, I'll have to agree with Scardrac.
Call of duty, for me (again, this is my own opinion) has become..somewhat bland, I suppose? I was a fan of CoD up until MW3, and I had a HORRIBLE playing experience with BO2 (plane glitching into buildings, controls being wonkey, enemy AI being infantile as all hell), as well with the increased claustrophobia I've been feeling with the maps. It simply seems to me as though the developers mean to mock war instead of honor it, which is sad, especially since I remember that WaW was made to be (and succeeded at being) a very down-to-earth kind of omage to veterans and the horrors they'd gone through. (I'm a WW2 buff, so I especially liked that one >_>)
I do prefer Battlefield, not for it's storyline, or over-the-top scenes straight out of action movies which are frankly, ridiculous. The voice acting is questionable at times, and the story is blander than all hell, but the fear of battle..
The gameplay, I'll love to no end.
Especially online, where skill only makes up a quarter of your soldier's worth, the rest is pure luck.
"Battle is a strange experience. We plan by intellect, fight on training and instinct, and only afterwords feel unnerved by realizing our survival is often only granted by chance."-Sgt. Black.
And that's what I love about it, Battlefield has somehow kept enough game sense to remain slightly fun, yet they've captured the frantic aimless battle for your life within a firefight.
However, I should note that I'm a realism guy. I always play on hardcore, my weapons are chosen by the political group which I play in a round (M16a4/G36C/m249/M9B for US, AEK-971/AK-47M/PP-19/RPK for opposing side, which is heavily hinted to be russia.), and I generally carry air-to-ground missiles when flying to provide danger close support to my team.
I, however, am heavily disappointed at the recent interest in prance-footed army rangers over our bullet-sponge Marines.
Oorah.

...Okay, I've succumbed to my own opinion. I'll just be rid of myself now.

Goldengem25

The Kingdom Crusher
WARNING: Heavily opinionated text incoming!

There are two things I do not like about CoD. The first one is it's "realistic" approach. I have heard countless times about games being criticized for it's unrealistic graphics and approach in terms of concept and gameplay. Now why I hate this so much is because video games are a means to be emerged in a new world, not the same world. If I want to play football, I would play it; not play a simulation. The Sims is different, because you can do a lot more in the Sims then it gives off.

The second thing I don't like is it's solidarity aspects. Rarely ever do you have to rely on your team mates, even in the self proclaimed team based game modes like domination. I've seen plenty of times people going for the points, and capturing them like *that*. I think the game would be miles better if it took a page from a game like Team Fortress 2. That game was built from the ground up around the idea of balance and team work. And because of that the game has only continued to get better and better; where as CoD will simply build another game built almost identically to the last.

Maybe I'm comparing it to TF2 too much, but it's my favorite game for a reason.

Backstay

Lord of Altera
Why would you even post this terrible article that lacks all fact and is almost 100% opinion?
Well, as a start I can say tha I didn't write the article... I posted a link to it here in the thread. This whole thread is based on our owns opinions, no one is saying that it is a fact that Call of Duty did this and this and whatsoever. It's just some of our opinions.

I just saw that you said that it is "based on opinions that aren't even true". I don't even know how that works and if that is even possible, as opinions can't be right or wrong. Each person has their own opinion, nothing wrong or true. No correct or wrong opinions.

CoD is amazing! I relly enjoy playing it, I don't think they have ruined this generation. Also they make different types of modes: like zombies, which is good! :D
That's a nice reply :)

bowduim400

Legend of Altera
The CoD i liked the most was definately World at War no doubt. I have an awesome time playing it (still) as it has some teamwork but also honours WW2 Its amazing to see limbe flying in it too..just funny.

Tf2 i love it for the teamwork and how they build it on a base so you can laugh too.

Bf3 Got explained by vally

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
The CoD i liked the most was definately World at War no doubt. I have an awesome time playing it (still) as it has some teamwork but also honours WW2 Its amazing to see limbe flying in it too..just funny.

Tf2 i love it for the teamwork and how they build it on a base so you can laugh too.

Bf3 Got explained by vally
Ah, CoD 5.

Call of Grenades: Grenades at Grenades.

ptiber

El programming zorro
Retired Staff
Last time I played a real FPS, it was Doom... [trolling mode off]

COD is definitely, since the 3rd game, the epitom of money driven game where creativity have been totally nullified to the profit of shareholders wallet size.

EDIT / WARNING : and don't try to take on the argument of "they have better graphiiiiiccccccs" with me. That's not creativity. That's technicallity. Don't try to get me onto the creative value of AAA games in the gaming industry nowadays. You wouldn't win. I work in the AAA gaming industry. I know what I'm talking about.

Backstay

Lord of Altera
Call of Duty doesn't even have that good graphics compared to some other games, when you think about it (not saying it has bad graphics, just stating that compared to some games it is beaten in graphics. The Battlefield series is a good example, and the new Metro: Last Light game beats it, too).

The problem is, though, that now people only want games like Call of Duty. And when they finally do, they always start hating because "It's a CoD rip-off!". It makes the FPS game market way harder for other games companies who wants to make FPS games. I feel sorry for Tripwire (makers of Red Orchestra) they have made some brilliant FPS games, and I am truly in love with Red Orchestra 2.

They just keep going on and on and on with Call of Duty, though. Will it ever end?

Goldengem25

The Kingdom Crusher
I also believe that CoD has warped the idea of what good graphics are. To me, a game like TF2 has the best graphics I've seen simply due to this: Style. Hard to add style to a realistic game. Though, Skyrim's style was brilliant.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate CoD. It's a good series. What I dislike is the fact that the companies are making the same games over and over again, and just adding a new number to the title and a few maps and guns. And that people keep fuelling it.
You must enjoy Madden 2k13: Roster Update.

Or Madden 2k12: Roster Update!

ptiber

El programming zorro
Retired Staff
Bioshock was a good shooter also. Cause ambiance, style, even story that every COD mashed together could envy.....

A game is like a film : you need a good photography, an art direction, for it to be memorable.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Graphics have very little to do with it. CoD aims for photorealism, but has to go with greyshading because lighting engines capable of photorealism don't do very well on consoles, especially last-gen. TF2's style is intentionally cartoonish so the engine doesn't need lighting updates or graphic changes because you can't really update a cartoon style.

Now, if you guys can't discuss CoD/FPS games in general without flaming the opposing side (i.e. definitive statements of how it's bad, or making your opinion out to be the universal opinion) I'll have to lock this thread. I ain't putting up with a groupthink scenario. Keep in mind literal millions of people play and enjoy these games, giving them obvious merit.