Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Call of Duty ruined a generation of FPS players?

MaelstromPuddle

Lord of Altera
Legend
Auralein
Auralein
Legend
Unreal is better than CoD
Granted this is my opinion, I found Unreals fan base A LOT nicer than CoD's
People were civil and what not.

But Unreal is set in the future and I suppose people do want some realism

Backstay

Lord of Altera
Legion, why would Tripwire do that? They have a perfect idea for a game, and don't want to change everything around. But they're not getting that many players because the CoD fans keeps saying that they want this and this changed about it, so it's mlre like Call of Duty, otherwise they won't play it. It's like being the annoying littlebrother, who keeps being told "Be more like your big brother". It's not fun.

Spark

Broken
Backstay said:
Legion, why would Tripwire do that? They have a perfect idea for a game, and don't want to change everything around. But they're not getting that many players because the CoD fans keeps saying that they want this and this changed about it, so it's mlre like Call of Duty, otherwise they won't play it. It's like being the annoying littlebrother, who keeps being told "Be more like your big brother". It's not fun.
No it is like picking your favourite chocolate bar over a new one that you don't like as much.

Valcust

Lord of Altera
Backstay, while I agree with you fully that every developer deserves their chance, and their vision should be seen unsoiled by popular demands, I believe that the unfortunate truth is that business operates as a favoritism market, just as legion stated. Those who are popular will continue to be, simply because they are.
Hell, I buy more coke and pepsi than I buy "mr. Tubbs sparkly sugar water"
It's unfortunate, and, yes, they shouldn't need to change, but more people prefer something different :/

duncaniax

Lord of Altera
I'd like to say yes but all modern fps shooters of that genre can trace back to halo, however the problem which COD created was that them made too good of a game too fast, call of duty 4 was good, however the problem which infinity ward had now was that they kept making the same game over and over again, creating a bad name for themselves even though their sales were good.

Treyarch on the other hand has been trying new things, zombies for example trying to keep the franchise and quite possibly the genre alive, however because of infinity ward they have been given bad press, another example of this situation is with most new games, if it's not the "big corperation titles" which are pretty much grey sludge poured out by executives and such it will always end up as a not bad but highly dull and un-imaginative game.

Leading on from that the other issue which call of duty has is the fact that "age restriction" means whine to your parents enough and you "WILL" get what you want, a bad trend in society. COD kids are a plauge on the gaming cominity as they have no respect for other players, whine, rage and are far too immature for games aimed at a matuture target audience.

And that is what call of duty is doing, along with other "big name" game franchises, grey corprate game slugde. However, there is still hope!

There are several names which have since survived the cod stain on the market, those being that of valve, counter strike, half life as well as other titles such as far cry, saints row, the list goes on. Furthermore the trend has been traveling away from that genre for a while now, people more interested in playing indie titles and "good" games which the only thing to do is "run around holding the fire button"

(even though that's pretty much minecraft but slightly tweaked.)

So... long boring pointless thing over, call of duty isn't killing the FPS genre, but it put it on life support, it can still recover if it had some imaginative new elements implemented.

Valcust

Lord of Altera
I've been seeing that for ten years #_#

Anywho, the most we can hope for is that battlefield 42 or call of duty: grenades looks something like this:
*language warning*

A-10 Warthog~ :heart:
Aaah, what a beautiful machine~
*swoon*

AH-64 Apaches, however...

....Nevermind. Battlefield already looks like this.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Red Orchestra 2 is some amazing game...

And this guy can proudly take a place in my "Childhood Heroes" list.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Again, people seem to be projecting their opinion of the game to be the actual fact about the game...

You can say you think its grey corporate sludge but if the majority of gamers still find it interesting it isnt grey corporate sludge

duncaniax

Lord of Altera
Okay then legion fair point, the games themselves are quite pretty sometimes, good graphics and such, the controls handle well and it rarely locks up. But the fact of the matter is they don't make a game great, And would anyone wish to explain the difference between the modern warfare games other than maps and guns as well as minor layout? (They have been sell in the same game over and over...)

duncaniax

Lord of Altera
And they still "enjoy it" because all their freinds get it, it's like Conditioning they have been conditioned to play those and reject anything other than that...

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Okay then legion fair point, the games themselves are quite pretty sometimes, good graphics and such, the controls handle well and it rarely locks up. But the fact of the matter is they don't make a game great, And would anyone wish to explain the difference between the modern warfare games other than maps and guns as well as minor layout? (They have been sell in the same game over and over...)
And they still "enjoy it" because all their freinds get it, it's like Conditioning they have been conditioned to play those and reject anything other than that...
the majority of the internet has spoken... cod sucks.
*Facepalm*
*So many facepalms*
*so very many facepalms that I cannot express how many facepalms*
*So many facepalms, faceplam.*

Duncania you are projecting your opinion onto reality! If people like the game enough to keep buying it to a degree that Treyarch and Activision and the CoD Franchise keep making money, then the game is BY DEFINITION a good game, whether you like the game or not.

Now, I dont like the games that much, but it is obvious the rest of the gaming world does, or CoD would not still be making money.

Not only did you commit the fallacy of picking a statistic from one sample space and projecting it onto reality (which is a million times worse than projecting them onto other sample spaces. in fact its the worst statistical fallacy you can commit.), you are denying basic principles of how market economies work, that if the product keeps being bought, and the seller keeps making money then that means that the product is good by definition. If enough people like it to keep the companies in business, then clearly the majority of people do not think that CoD sucks! And then you suggest that Kids have been, of all things, brainwashed by a game company to like only their games.

It is categorically a matter of opinion.
If we can have a conversation where everyone understands that their own opinion is not reality nor should it be considered reality then we can have a very good, meaningful, calm and interesting discussion. It is when you begin projecting your opinion onto reality that the conversation turns to argument.

Valcust

Lord of Altera
Fallout 3 & new Vegas~ :heart:

Anyways, legion, selling their product on a wide scale does not make it a "good game", just a well selling one. The definition of "good game" is a very artistic standpoint, and resides with each person to decide for themselves.

duncaniax

Lord of Altera
*Facepalm*
*So many facepalms*
*so very many facepalms that I cannot express how many facepalms*
*So many facepalms, faceplam.*

Duncania you are projecting your opinion onto reality! If people like the game enough to keep buying it to a degree that Treyarch and Activision and the CoD Franchise keep making money, then the game is BY DEFINITION a good game, whether you like the game or not.

Now, I dont like the games that much, but it is obvious the rest of the gaming world does, or CoD would not still be making money.

Not only did you commit the fallacy of picking a statistic from one sample space and projecting it onto reality (which is a million times worse than projecting them onto other sample spaces. in fact its the worst statistical fallacy you can commit.), you are denying basic principles of how market economies work, that if the product keeps being bought, and the seller keeps making money then that means that the product is good by definition. If enough people like it to keep the companies in business, then clearly the majority of people do not think that CoD sucks! And then you suggest that Kids have been, of all things, brainwashed by a game company to like only their games.

It is categorically a matter of opinion.
If we can have a conversation where everyone understands that their own opinion is not reality nor should it be considered reality then we can have a very good, meaningful, calm and interesting discussion. It is when you begin projecting your opinion onto reality that the conversation turns to argument.

but rarely opinions and facts are both the same thing...