Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Call of Duty ruined a generation of FPS players?

Backstay

Lord of Altera
When people say "good graphics" most of them means realistic graphics. Each game has it's own style, some are going for realistic, some are going for cartoony, some a bit of both, some most realistic. I'll give a few examples of each...

Realistic: The ARMA series, Battlefield series.

Cartoony: Team Fortress 2, Saints Row series, Payday: The Heist, The Ship

Bit of both: Hitman series, Unreal Tournament series, Counter-Strike series, Bioshock series

Mostly realistic (yet some cartoon): Call of Duty, Metro series Left 4 Dead series

If you look at the styles of those games, you'll know how I see graphics

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
In response to ptiber about story: CoD and Bioshock are totally different. You can't compare a scifi/fantasy with a historical/realistic shooter. Besides, CoD 4's story was excellent.

ptiber

El programming zorro
Retired Staff
In response to ptiber about story: CoD and Bioshock are totally different. You can't compare a scifi/fantasy with a historical/realistic shooter. Besides, CoD 4's story was excellent.
I know they are different :)
But they are still games, they are still FPSes, they share the same logic about what to do, and how to do it.
I will remember Bioshock for a vast longer time than COD, even the 4 with it's excellent story.
I don't have a particularly bad memory. I could certainly write down from memory most of games's scenarios I played on. But not COD4. It just... seems to blends with all the nexts episodes and don't have a real added value one from the others.
And I don't speak just from the scenario perspective. I speak from the gameplay, art direction, and global "creativity" point of view.

The COD serie might be successful, I won't deny that. But it's not always from the success and units sold that you can judge the inherent quality of a product, even more when it comes to the field of "arts" and creativity.

Spark

Broken
Backstay said:
Well, as a start I can say tha I didn't write the article... I posted a link to it here in the thread. This whole thread is based on our owns opinions, no one is saying that it is a fact that Call of Duty did this and this and whatsoever. It's just some of our opinions.

I just saw that you said that it is "based on opinions that aren't even true". I don't even know how that works and if that is even possible, as opinions can't be right or wrong. Each person has their own opinion, nothing wrong or true. No correct or wrong opinions.
I mean that they say things about the game that are not at all true because the writer clearly has done a tiny amount of research and is just looking for the views.

Camicaxe said:
Thats never going to happen.
A perfect example.

There will be a new engine for the next call of duty.

I don't even like CoD I stopped playing at Black Ops.

Spark

Broken
"They’ve taken individual skill out of the equation so much."
That is just ridiculous in itself, there are pro gamers that play call of duty for a living, try telling them there's no skill.
"But the skill gap is so compressed"

You can look at their leaderboard and see a distinctive gap in the skill level.

"we had to get good at aiming. These guys don’t have to anymore."

A game based on aiming where you don't have to aim..... hmm.. sounds fishy to me.

"they’re incapable of getting good"

Covered above

"ruined a generation of FPS players"

With the amount of battlefield players, ArmA players and other FPS players this is just completely invalid.

"I know that’s a bold statement, but I won’t just throw stones without backing it up."

I fail to see how he does this through the entire article.

I don't even like the new Call of Duty games, I still play MW2 and that's only because it is the only old one in the series not plagued by hackers.
I play more of Battlefield and ArmA.

Backstay

Lord of Altera
"we had to get good at aiming. These guys don’t have to anymore."
Well. There's a feature that helps people with aiming in the new Call of Duty games. Whenever they're looking in the direction of an enemy, when you aim, it almost automatically aims at the enemy. It doesn't aim at where you're looking, but the enemy. This is mostly on consoles, it's not as noticeable on the PC.

MW2 is full of hackers when I play it. I mostly play MW3 when playing Call of Duty (which I pretty much never do) and that is full of hackers too. All the games are. The first thing people do, is to make hacks for the game and then release it for people to use. I'm tired of that. There's not nearly as many hackers in other games.

Spark

Broken
Well. There's a feature that helps people with aiming in the new Call of Duty games. Whenever they're looking in the direction of an enemy, when you aim, it almost automatically aims at the enemy. It doesn't aim at where you're looking, but the enemy. This is mostly on consoles, it's not as noticeable on the PC.

MW2 is full of hackers when I play it. I mostly play MW3 when playing Call of Duty (which I pretty much never do) and that is full of hackers too. All the games are. The first thing people do, is to make hacks for the game and then release it for people to use. I'm tired of that. There's not nearly as many hackers in other games.
What are you basing this on? I can go over to my xbox now and put in Mw2, Black ops, MW3, Black ops 2 and join 100 games and not find a single hacker.

PC obviously has more but you can expect that with most PC games that are no longer being developed.

ptiber

El programming zorro
Retired Staff
I tried that game but just couldn't get into it to be honest :/
Yeah old FPSes tend to be a little... "rude" in their form and hard to get into.
There's no doubt things have greatly evolved, and not only for the FPS genre but for all genres :)

Spark

Broken
Yeah old FPSes tend to be a little... "rude" in their form and hard to get into.
There's no doubt things have greatly evolved, and not only for the FPS genre but for all genres :)
It wasn't that it was old, I just didn't enjoy playing it :)

Valcust

Lord of Altera
Bioshock was a good shooter also. Cause ambiance, style, even story that every COD mashed together could envy.....

A game is like a film : you need a good photography, an art direction, for it to be memorable.

Play, played, will play..

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
If you do not like Call of Duty then stop buying it! XD

Ill tell you, I loved Modern Warfare 2. It was an excellent deathmatch game, and anyone who denies that needs to take a more objective viewpoint.

With more recent call of Dutys, I agree, it does kind of suck. The skill gap was closed far too much. I cannot get better than other people because I die within 3 seconds of spawning about 45% percent of the time. (That is a real statistic btw)

But to say that "Call of Duty ruined a generation of FPS players" is a tad bit unfair.
People play the games they like, the games they have the most fun playing.
So if people prefer the Call of Duty games, doesn't it make sense for them to keep buying them?

This is like saying "Honda ruined a whole generation of car buyers" or "Surrealism ruined a whole generation of artists."

I agree, I am disatisfied with the CoD franchise. But that makes the solution really simple. I just dont buy CoD anymore, and instead I buy things like Mass Effect and Bio-shock.

Backstay

Lord of Altera
Yeah, but the article is based on the game market of FPS. The way CoD takes over it all, and no one buys other FPS in the end. It's not easy for those other companies like Tripwire to make a succesful FPS without having people saying "That needs to be more like Call of Duty". It's not fun, nor easy, for those companies.

The president of Tripwire (who wrote the article) isn't focusing on Call of Duty itself, but the way it ruins the fame market for people like him, and so on. That's the main goal of the article. The thing I hate about big companies, is that they make the games people want the most, so that they have a higher chance of getting a lot of money from it. They don't care about the fans, they just want the money.

I agree with MW2, Legion, it was my favorite one so far, and also the one I played the most (almost 400 hours), but they just keep getting worse now, as there is pretty much nothing to improve anymore. The games are just the same now. The only differenes are that there is a new story, graphics improved a little bit, new names for things, new time for the game to be set in etc. There's no noticeable big features anymore. It's like they're just modding the newest game again and again.

In my opinion, they need to put it on the shelf for a while, and do something else.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
You arent quite seeming to get my point:
So long as people keep wanting the CoD games, and people keep buying the CoD games, then you have to concede that in the popular opinion those are the best games. You, personally, can think it is not a great game, but you also cannot think that the company is somehow cheating because people keep buying their games.

I can understand and sympathize with the president of Tripwire's frustration.
But imagine that I am the owner of a toy company, that makes things for little kids. Then a competitor comes along and makes something that kids want more. That doesnt mean their product ruined a generation of kids that play with toys, it just means that my product is simply not as good as his for the market we are both in.

Its the same with this. Tripwire is targeting the popular market with games that are distinctly un-like CoD, because the developers do not like the gameplay. But the popular market still does like CoD. It doesnt make any sense for them to buy games they do not like as much.

What Tripwire needs to do is target a different market, or become unique to stand alone from CoD in a very novel way, or become even more like it.