Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Character Death and Roleplay Impact

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
This comes from a rather lengthy conversation on Discord, on multiple topics, but this was the main point that we all seemed to agree on after lengthy argument, and tons of tangents. These are my/our opinions presented as best as possible.

Character deaths are not impactful. Death is supposed to be a spectre, a haunting thing - when a character dies you should feel the implications and finality of it. It currently seems that to revive your character is the norm if they do die, and this takes away from deaths on the server. I’m going to throw an example out here, a recent one, that I know was particularly meaningful to a few players. Aryus Fuvur, during the voyage to the new world, was found dead after the ship had suffered massive damage, trapped under a broken bit of the ship and drowned. It was known he wasn’t going to be revived, and because of this fact the death was actually worth something, the roleplay that followed was touching and lasting. This is, to me, ideal - each character gets one life, but that one life becomes much more valuable, much more worthwhile.

I’m not suggesting we force this one character life onto player characters, at all. I’m arguing that instead, people should make the personal choice to limit their characters to one life, no revivals.

However, this is not simply about personal character progression, but a wider storyline progression that is sometimes lacking due to revival. The impact of a King or other noble dying shouldn’t be that you just wait until they get revived; instead, it should be a major event in the region’s history, the passing of lands and titles to an heir, a change in the political landscape.

Now while I can only advocate for the personal choice of one life, this also comes with a suggestion to change the current revival system to a flat amount of revivals, as opposed to a revival system dictated by rolls (and also one that allows for excessive amounts of character revival). During our discussion, we thought that three or four lives per character would be ideal.

However, the above paragraph is not the main point of this thread - instead, it’s to advocate to players that they should make the personal decision to limit their characters to one life.

LeftwardElk Tohm Zenrak K9

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
As an addendum, I don't think anyone would blame someone who revives their character once or twice. The point is for people to attempt to generate greater, more enjoyable RP, by acting in a fair and self observational manner! :D

-K9

Magiik

Lord of Altera
My characters were originally meant to be one-lifers, but the first death of Ater struck me as too abrupt and had no opportunity for that meaningful death that is ideal because everyone who actually cared for him died along with him. His story was nowhere close to finished, so I put him up for revival.

Tarron

Lord of Altera
If we want one life to be encouraged, I would say a change to how combat is done would need to be implemented. Combat has always been a murky disaster of subjectivity here and having an impartial system would help people not be angry at someone else if their character died.

LeftwardElk

Lord of Altera
The whole idea of bringing people back to life was there to appeal to the people who didn't want their characters to die. With a system like a three life system that gives the player a chance to survive if they did not like the way their character died. But the three life rule also makes the lives much more meaningful and makes battles and duels actually mean something other than the people coming back a week or so later.

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
As an addendum, I don't think anyone would blame someone who revives their character once or twice. The point is for people to attempt to generate greater, more enjoyable RP, by acting in a fair and self observational manner! :D

-K9
I have revived a character nearly six times ( .__________. )

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
That's the problem.
people revive their characters for a reason

its their own reason, I personally, myself, don't mind perma'ing one of my characters at this very moment, however- one thing I've seen so far is common dislike for inconviences that come from people reviving their characters so much.

CaptnBluebeard

Lord of Altera
I feel regret reviving my character and seeing others revive to make death and loss not as impacting or meaningful, which is why I believe One-Lifer is the way to go

LeftwardElk

Lord of Altera
I feel regret reviving my character and seeing others revive to make death and loss not as impacting or meaningful, which is why I believe One-Lifer is the way to go
I agree with this, but there are many out there that don't want to only have one life, that's why I think the three life system is the way to go for a compromise.

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
I agree with this, but there are many out there that don't want to only have one life, that's why I think the three life system is the way to go for a compromise.
By this point I've come to realize that yes, in most regards people passing a 3 life 'rule'. There is no real compromise here at all in regards to this simply out of the following, and I distinctly remember the followin'

Evil characters and Antagonist's try to rise up in RP. They're killed mercilessly, and forgive the following- by white knights and well, your typical hero. And mind you, I can understand it to an extent, people don't want bad guys to come on up and they cause problem so they kill them.

You'd think, of course, that your ah.. Three life compromise would solve this, but from personal experience out of the time I've been here, that simply doesn't work and I'm refusing to use my own examples out of respect for others who may or may not share the same view or opinion. What happens when people are killed mercilessly is that people simply don't care how many times they end a 'antagonist' or 'villain' on the server.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
I've honestly thought about this for a while and have decided to have my own system just be a Second Chance kinda thing, character fucks up and dies? They get revived, die again? No go. The way Roy died was just not very fulfilling to me, too much stuff he could've done, too much left un-roleplayed, etc. I'd give my characters more chances if they were actually in danger more often (Though any child character I have is gonna have as many chances as it takes until they're 18, then they are subject to the same rule as above. I just don't like killing child characters)

LeftwardElk

Lord of Altera
By this point I've come to realize that yes, in most regards people passing a 3 life 'rule'. There is no real compromise here at all in regards to this simply out of the following, and I distinctly remember the followin'

Evil characters and Antagonist's try to rise up in RP. They're killed mercilessly, and forgive the following- by white knights and well, your typical hero. And mind you, I can understand it to an extent, people don't want bad guys to come on up and they cause problem so they kill them.

You'd think, of course, that your ah.. Three life compromise would solve this, but from personal experience out of the time I've been here, that simply doesn't work and I'm refusing to use my own examples out of respect for others who may or may not share the same view or opinion. What happens when people are killed mercilessly is that people simply don't care how many times they end a 'antagonist' or 'villain' on the server.
If you play a villain, you should expect people to come after you and try to kill you. And if you look at other people's experienced you can have an old character that hasn't even died once.

Tarron

Lord of Altera
My issue with unlimited revives is it encourages recklessness. You can do anything you want with full knowledge that your character will return.

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
If you play a smart villain and don't run into the inn balls blazing and yelling about how bad you are, or starting fights your character will most likely be alive a bit longer. For example, look at the old Riptide dudes, or look at Mor (BoredBrit ) There is start ways to play villains.

I'm also a bit conflicted on the three life system, I'd probably just keep my characters one-livers anyhow.

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
If you play a villain, you should expect people to come after you and try to kill you. And if you look at other people's experienced you can have an old character that hasn't even died once.
'negative' characters are also considered antagonists

with that being said we're getting into ooc perspectives and views on characters and the fact that people are killed straight for personality is quite literally stupid
^I normally refuse from stating the past following due to the fact it causes a mass wave of salt but otherwise that's what I like to hear carry on

LeftwardElk

Lord of Altera
'negative' characters are also considered antagonists

with that being said we're getting into ooc perspectives and views on characters and the fact that people are killed straight for personality is quite literally stupid
^I normally refuse from stating the past following due to the fact it causes a mass wave of salt but otherwise that's what I like to hear carry on
This thread isn't for villains anyways.

If you play a smart villain and don't run into the inn balls blazing and yelling about how bad you are, or starting fights your character will most likely be alive a bit longer. For example, look at the old Riptide dudes, or look at Mor (BoredBrit ) There is start ways to play villains.

I'm also a bit conflicted on the three life system, I'd probably just keep my characters one-livers anyhow.
One life characters are ideal. The three life part is for the people that I assume would never agree to one life characters because of reasons like meta or power game that or being killed in a stupid way or one that you wouldn't agree with. Like Cyberchaos and Magic have said.

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
So, as its been stating that cirmumstance isn't the point of the thread. Yes, I do believe that if you're walking into a situation where death is imminent, I do infact believe in consequences, if death is that consequence, so be it, right?

However, there is the point in time where we gotta realize that people revive for their personal reasons. Myself- and forgive me here yall. I don't know why The Ripper came back so much, I'd think it'd be kind of painful to see my OC get slain time and time again but that's just me.

With that being said, if a person finds a character fun to play, and is willing to go through the effort to play the character and make someone elses RP either fun or more immersive, then let em' because hindering by a three life rule isn't going to do much but sooner or later just sadden people.

k that was my semi-rant

edit:
"The three life part is for the people that I assume would never agree to one life characters because of reasons like meta or power game that or being killed in a stupid way or one that you wouldn't agree with. Like Cyberchaos and Magic have said."

I haven't stopped because I've seen it happen.

Pandora12Q

Lord of Altera
Legend
Retired Staff
Pan_12Q
Pan_12Q
Legend
So, as its been stating that cirmumstance isn't the point of the thread. Yes, I do believe that if you're walking into a situation where death is imminent, I do infact believe in consequences, if death is that consequence, so be it, right?

However, there is the point in time where we gotta realize that people revive for their personal reasons. Myself- and forgive me here yall. I don't know why The Ripper came back so much, I'd think it'd be kind of painful to see my OC get slain time and time again but that's just me.

With that being said, if a person finds a character fun to play, and is willing to go through the effort to play the character and make someone elses RP either fun or more immersive, then let em' because hindering by a three life rule isn't going to do much but sooner or later just sadden people.

k that was my semi-rant

edit:
"The three life part is for the people that I assume would never agree to one life characters because of reasons like meta or power game that or being killed in a stupid way or one that you wouldn't agree with. Like Cyberchaos and Magic have said."

I haven't stopped because I've seen it happen.

I agree with this- but, a compromise perhaps?- treat the revived differently, perhaps it would need to involve some change to lore or the like, but have the revived be shunned, or even hated. On top of this, maybe have a way to see without need to speak if someone is on another life, not like a tally on the head or w/e but maybe a change to eye colour, or something of the sort, this'd make for a consequence in death- being you come back as a basic shadow of what the char once was, and as such, maybe they can't work the same job, or rule over the land they once did. This could also make for interesting RP- but this is just an idea of a compromise

BoredBrit

Bored Brit
BoredBritishGuy
BoredBritishGuy
Legend

I WAS MENTIONED! But yeah, try not to be outright evil, even donate to your local pet shelter/Caparii orphanage..