Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Character Death and Roleplay Impact

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
The way I see it is that death is one of several possible conclusions to a character's story. If you die and you're satisfied with how things ended, or the impact you made, then your character can remain dead. Otherwise you might as well have another go to keep your story moving along. If you feel you've reached the end of your character's arc, then death is a choice, or simply retiring them to some quiet epilogue.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
The way I see it is that death is one of several possible conclusions to a character's story. If you die and you're satisfied with how things ended, or the impact you made, then your character can remain dead. Otherwise you might as well have another go to keep your story moving along. If you feel you've reached the end of your character's arc, then death is a choice, or simply retiring them to some quiet epilogue.
so it's like an honors system for character storytelling.
The power is in the players' hands to decide when their story ends, making it so that their story didn't die with getting gangrene from a toe being munched off by a rabid dog, but also allows the players to have a character persist after a hardfought battle in which their character died a hero... that way they can be a hero in more battles.
Yeah, definitely like an honor system

BoredBrit

Bored Brit
BoredBritishGuy
BoredBritishGuy
Legend
still considered a boy tho

and even still chances are if you're a squire, most of the time you're under trained and maybe even lesser-armed, not saying that's always the case for determining a warrior but still^
Lets go through this:

still considered a boy tho
I'd say I only saw two people actively call him a boy. Bronn Westergard and Malek. The latter was mostly when he was incapacitated by the Grafjell Zombie storm.

under trained
He was more trained than your average Crossroad Mook. He had both Anhalder and Grafjellian soldiers teaching him.

even lesser-arme^
Pft. He was squired to a Kingsguard house. Weapons and armour were no issue.

not saying that's always the case for determining a warrior but still
I'll be sure to make note that he must moon after every woman he meets and bathe in Crusade's Glory. Wait. . .Thats not what makes a warrior. A warrior fights, and I believe Dante fought for Anhald on at least 3 'bigger' occasions.

So now that we've been through why your entire statement's connotations was wrong, can you please reiterate your point in a PM?

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
Lets go through this:

I'd say I only saw two people actively call him a boy. Bronn Westergard and Malek. The latter was mostly when he was incapacitated by the Grafjell Zombie storm.

He was more trained than your average Crossroad Mook. He had both Anhalder and Grafjellian soldiers teaching him.

Pft. He was squired to a Kingsguard house. Weapons and armour were no issue.

I'll be sure to make note that he must moon after every woman he meets and bathe in Crusade's Glory. Wait. . .Thats not what makes a warrior. A warrior fights, and I believe Dante fought for Anhald on at least 3 'bigger' occasions.

So now that we've been through why your entire statement's connotations was wrong, can you please reiterate your point in a PM?

:3

Friosis

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
Revivals can change when combat rp has a actual system behind it. Right now it's a subjective and flawed system. Made up for by it's lack of consequences.

If we change revivals the long repeated saying of: "just die and revive" won't be valid anymore, which invalides a lot of incentive for someone to consent.

We don't want to see people not consenting commonly, there were big issues the last time someone didn't consent to something. The time before that ended in an actual riot.

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
Regardless - this thread wasn't posted as a "change the rulez or riot" sort of thing. This was me putting my point of view (and that of others who had been discussing it) out into public. It's commonly repeated that bitching about things in voice chat isn't going to change anything, and while I wouldn't say we were bitching, I still thought that it applied. If I didn't get this out there, nothing would come of it.

This thread was an appeal to the players to reconsider their position on multiple lives/revivals. Certain characters were raised during this discussion, Raphael Payne and Archaeus Fronte chief among them, that have experienced an awful lot of deaths, for whatever reason, and that the fact these characters keep coming back and back causes a huge lack of impact with regards to death. If this only effected the character in question, there would obviously be no issue, but this is not the case. Repeated revivals, especially if a character is in a position of power/enacting a plan your character wants to stop/any other situation with great effect means that there is very little way to change the wider story of the server through direct conflict, or even your own character's personal story if their foe just keeps coming back with their head re-attached. What do you do? There's no purpose, no point in conflict or combat when you can just come right on back.

I'm going to restate it here - I'm not asking for a rule change here, as much as I think one would benefit the server in this case, instead I'm appealing to players to personally change their position on revival and move towards what I see (and maybe this isn't a shared point of view for all, but it seems to be an opinion held by many) as being a better situation regarding roleplay.

As somewhat of an addendum, earlier this morning, someone stated they had a choice in RP between mutilation and death, and that they chose death - this is ridiculously wrong, from my perspective and results purely from the lack of meaning and finality that death has.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Just a random thought to throw out - The sisterhood should only actually revive characters that do good in the world ICly which means more villainous characters would really stay dead, but an alternative option would be for the dark priests of skraag to bring them back but being dark magic based they've have considerably worse scars / consequences. Admittedly right now most char deaths are more politically focused than back in the days of paladins and dark priests, bandit lords and the royal armies but it's food for thought.
The principal reason why this is not part of the revival system is that it brings OOC subjective judgement into every death, versus right now, all the mechanics to revival are objective, and are not changed by what a specific person processing a revival thinks of a character.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
The principal reason why this is not part of the revival system is that it brings OOC subjective judgement into every death, versus right now, all the mechanics to revival are objective, and are not changed by what a specific person processing a revival thinks of a character.
To further this point this is the only way a revival system can be objective. We all have our own views of right and wrong IRL and it becomes even foggier to judge in the strange moral dillemas so common in fantasy. Do we kill the god child who is defintely a child now or risk him becoming an evil god just like Jishrim? What is the morally right choice? Do we judge by Kants stick or something more akin to (I forget the philosopher) but best outcome for the many outweighing the concerns of the few?

So you would have to give staff every single action your character has ever done with motivation and then they have to judge by their stick if they are morally "good". I'm afraid I don't want that and I don't think staff want that as they already get too many bias accusations.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
To further this point this is the only way a revival system can be objective. We all have our own views of right and wrong IRL and it becomes even foggier to judge in the strange moral dillemas so common in fantasy. Do we kill the god child who is defintely a child now or risk him becoming an evil god just like Jishrim? What is the morally right choice? Do we judge by Kants stick or something more akin to (I forget the philosopher) but best outcome for the many outweighing the concerns of the few?

So you would have to give staff every single action your character has ever done with motivation and then they have to judge by their stick if they are morally "good". I'm afraid I don't want that and I don't think staff want that as they already get too many bias accusations.
You're thinking of John Stuart Mill

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
Just do it however you want and don't act high and mighty because your character is a one lifer. Not saying that everyone is like that, but still.

Some people just aren't comfortable making their characters one lifers and that should be their personal choice.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
so it's like an honors system for character storytelling.
The power is in the players' hands to decide when their story ends, making it so that their story didn't die with getting gangrene from a toe being munched off by a rabid dog, but also allows the players to have a character persist after a hardfought battle in which their character died a hero... that way they can be a hero in more battles.
Yeah, definitely like an honor system
I'm not sure how it's an honor system because there's no objective everyone agrees to observe. Every character's story goes differently, and it doesn't make sense for it to be honorable that you end a particular story prematurely because some other group thinks it should end.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
I'm not sure how it's an honor system because there's no objective everyone agrees to observe. Every character's story goes differently, and it doesn't make sense for it to be honorable that you end a particular story prematurely because some other group thinks it should end.
no, but it's expected for you to end your own story at some point, whereas some people continue t have their characters live on until they either die of old age, or are told "no more rezzes fam." that's what i'm getting out of this thread anyways, since if people killed their characters when they liked, and we assumed their deaths to be adequate for a story ending, this wouldn't be coming up. Like I sai,d that's the best way I can see this as.