Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Character Death and Roleplay Impact

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
still considered a boy tho

and even still chances are if you're a squire, most of the time you're under trained and maybe even lesser-armed, not saying that's always the case for determining a warrior but still^
Dante wasn't a boy, he was a man by Anhald law, for one. I've lost your point in all of this, tbh.

Spear

The Undying Scholar.
Retired Staff
Given that the sisterhood ICly became a tool to keep fighters against the corruption alive out of necesity because of alteras dwindling population it would make sense for the sisterhood to be slowly phased out and revives to become rarer occurances. But then the criteria for their revivals always been to bring back people who can still do something for the world so if you feel your character can do more it also makes sense try and get them revived. Ultimately I'm with the it's a personal choice thing but people need to start actually learning from their deaths or face a slightly higher penalty for them in my opinion if their going to continue to live with no sense of self preservation.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
Given that the sisterhood ICly became a tool to keep fighters against the corruption alive out of necesity because of alteras dwindling population it would make sense for the sisterhood to be slowly phased out and revives to become rarer occurances. But then the criteria for their revivals always been to bring back people who can still do something for the world so if you feel your character can do more it also makes sense try and get them revived. Ultimately I'm with the it's a personal choice thing but people need to start actually learning from their deaths or face a slightly higher penalty for them in my opinion if their going to continue to live with no sense of self preservation.
I'm all for a higher penalty than a 24 hour rufie mind effect and oopy spoopy player moderated goosebumps with people and places related to their death.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
I'm all for a higher penalty than a 24 hour rufie mind effect and oopy spoopy player moderated goosebumps with people and places related to their death.
i liked the system a friend on another server suggested of 'you revive with all your injuries from death'. IE if they kill you by beating you then you come back bruised, if they cut off your arm and you bleed to death you have no arm, etc

LeftwardElk

Lord of Altera

And with what Cap said people could like "Let them bleed out to death." So that they do keep all the limbs that they would have lost.

Spear

The Undying Scholar.
Retired Staff
Hmm injuries up to the point of fatality so people don't just insta die again yeah, would mean long term injuries, scars, disabilities caused would stay would certainly be a reason to avoid dying but then it's the same reason to avoid fighting in general.

Some sort of loss of skill perhaps as your in a new body that isn't as trained or honed as before, no muscle memory and it'd take time to rehabilitate your self perhaps, that'd be more interesting in RP and really stop people jumping straight back into being uber skiled fighters again straight away.

As it takes the soul time to properly bond with the new body - it's a little body horrory but it's an idea

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
uber skilled fighters typically don't have to revive more than once within many months anyways

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
i liked the system a friend on another server suggested of 'you revive with all your injuries from death'. IE if they kill you by beating you then you come back bruised, if they cut off your arm and you bleed to death you have no arm, etc
So if you die by losing your head?

Spear

The Undying Scholar.
Retired Staff
uber skilled fighters typically don't have to revive more than once within many months anyways
True but the bigger they are the harder they fall then as the more used to fighting they are the more alien the new body would feel, like suddenly swapping to your left hand if you've only ever used your right, the theory all still applies, the knowledge is there but all the skill and practice is gone.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
So if you die by losing your head?
his system was that you wouldn't be able to revive in that case but for a softer system it'd probably be brain damage or disabled eyes or something head related

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
his system was that you wouldn't be able to revive in that case but for a softer system it'd probably be brain damage or disabled eyes or something head related
as nice as that system sounds, I think it would work better that, since you're in a new body, you don't have the exact injuries themselves, but something relating to them. What you mentioned is a good way to deal with the loss of a head as the cause of death. Could also have something like when you lose your arm, either your new arm isn't very responsive, or simply hangs limp from your body. There's a lot of ways it could be taken.

Spear

The Undying Scholar.
Retired Staff
Just a random thought to throw out - The sisterhood should only actually revive characters that do good in the world ICly which means more villainous characters would really stay dead, but an alternative option would be for the dark priests of skraag to bring them back but being dark magic based they've have considerably worse scars / consequences. Admittedly right now most char deaths are more politically focused than back in the days of paladins and dark priests, bandit lords and the royal armies but it's food for thought.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
Just a random thought to throw out - The sisterhood should only actually revive characters that do good in the world ICly which means more villainous characters would really stay dead, but an alternative option would be for the dark priests of skraag to bring them back but being dark magic based they've have considerably worse scars / consequences. Admittedly right now most char deaths are more politically focused than back in the days of paladins and dark priests, bandit lords and the royal armies but it's food for thought.
except Shalherana just wants more life to exist, doesn't care about the quality... so they're honestly pretty neutral and don't really care about a lot of the stuff you do.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
Given that this is a totally IC mechanic perhaps we should look into imprisoning folks more often no?

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
then you have to RP w/ them despite them never asking for RP or logging on or they get released
I know this happened in the past but since the new guidelines have been released is that still happening? I know before Som stepped down that was a priority in the way these rules were written to keep that from happening. I mean I get what your saying I did a two hour RP with a dude I arrested once in Arget, patched him up from his injury he sustained and then gave him a book and was leaving and he was all "When will I get prison RP?"

What did you think we just did for the past two hours?