Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Console Wars! (Here we go again...)

What's your favorite "machine" to play video games on?

• Iphone/Ipod, casual gaming is the future!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Graphing Calculater,

• Other, you know, leapster and stuff like that?

• Total voters

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Well, Xbox's product life cycle clearly cant have surpassed that of PS3, else PS3 wouldnt be selling and being the big competitor.
Besides, they arnt really comparable, as they market to different audiences.
And like i said, so long as you get the disc, which is cheaper anyway, you dont have to install.

JustShadow

Zalenfal Guardian
Xbox actually started out cheaper than PS3. I can't remember the exact prices, but when they came out it was something like Xbox at £260 and PS3 at £400.

But regardless, the best console ever made was the Nintendo 64.

Spark

Broken
Legion9191 said:
Well, Xbox's product life cycle clearly cant have surpassed that of PS3, else PS3 wouldnt be selling and being the big competitor.
Besides, they arnt really comparable, as they market to different audiences.
And like i said, so long as you get the disc, which is cheaper anyway, you dont have to install.
Actually when my step brother got skyrim we had to wait over half an hour for it to install and that was on disc

bewpy

Loyal Servant of Altera
I love my wii because it has fun cute games and also wii-fit which actually let's me exercise and have fun yep I USE WII-FIT OK LEAVE ME ALONE *sobs*

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Well i didnt have to install skyrim when i bought it, so i dunno what you did different.

Spark

Broken
Legion9191 said:
Well i didnt have to install skyrim when i bought it, so i dunno what you did different.
I put the disk into the console :p has happened with every game

atkrye

King of Quests
If ur going to use polls, at least make the options reasonable and have middle ground.
For anyone who wants to argue about ps3/xbox, heres the deal.
Xbox is indeed slightly better, with slightly more support, slightly more convenient, better controllers. But you pay 60 bucks a year for online, and the console itself is about 50$ more expensive.
PS3 is very slightly worse, but it has free online.
For gamers that want the absolute best possible and dont mind the extra 60 bucks a year, then Xbox is the way to go.
For long term gamers, casual fps gamers, or people with money concerns, ps3 makes more sense, as it is cheaper.

There does not need to be any further discussion, because thats just the way it is.
1. The ps3 has a more powerful processor. Yes they have the same clock speed, but the Xbox uses 3 dual-threaded cores, which are out-competed by the PS3's 7 Individual cores.

2. The ps3 has better ram. Although the Xbox has 512 mb, this is split between system and video, whereas the PS3 has 256mb dedicated to the system - Essentially they have memory, but the XBox has a speed of 700MHz, whereas the PS3 has a much larger 3.2GHz.

3. The GPU's are quite evenly matched, so there isn't really a comparison there - The XBox can achieve a higher peak performance as it's GPU shares ram with the system, meaning it has a higher maximum ram to play with, but the PS3 achieves a higher general performance thanks to it's dedicated memory.

4. In terms of memory, the PS3 entirely outclasses the XBox as it can support SATA notebook harddrives and HDD harddrives, whereas the XBox only supports microsoft's own HDD, meaning the PS3 can be fitted with hardrives that have faster RPM speeds.

So overall, the PS3 has better hardware than the XBox. Furthermore, the PS3 has access to a blu ray drive, meaning it can play blu rays..

So the extra 40 or 50 quid, only buys you some better support ;)

Oh and it does need more discussion, because you are wrong ;) (This is one debate I wont let you win legion :p)

Spark

Broken
I dont think there is a winner or a loser, its all about opinion. Its like saying coke is better than pepsi..

shizzel2442

Loyal Servant of Altera
Xbox is more social and entertainment based, in my opinion. Some of the options available on it exceed the ps3.

Now, I LOVE my music, I can't emphasize that enough, and when I found out I could listen to it through my xbox while playing a game, talking to friends, or doing nothing, I was dumbfounded. With the Ps3 though, you can only listen to music on the "dashboard," I only know the xbox terminology for home screen, and it stops while trying to do something like loading and viewing my trophies.

The Xbox chat system is phenomanal too. I can have a party of up to 8, correct me if I'm wrong, people who can be doing completely different things, and I can simultaneously be a part of a private chat and game chat, and switch between the 3 within seconds. As far as I know from my Ps3, I can only do that if I'm playing the same game with one of my friends...

It is true that Ps3 plays blu-ray discs, but is that much of an advantage, movie wise? I already have a decent collection of standard disc movies, and I have no drive to update all of my movies with blu-ray, even if the look nicer, it's not economical. Having blu-ray itself is of course an improvement, but only if you have blu-ray movies.

Now don't get me wrong here, I love my Ps3 and Xbox, and it's mostly a matter of what I want to play, and who I want to play with, which dictates my time on them.

JustShadow

Zalenfal Guardian
Xbox is more social and entertainment based, in my opinion. Some of the options available on it exceed the ps3.

Now, I LOVE my music, I can't emphasize that enough, and when I found out I could listen to it through my xbox while playing a game, talking to friends, or doing nothing, I was dumbfounded. With the Ps3 though, you can only listen to music on the "dashboard," I only know the xbox terminology for home screen, and it stops while trying to do something like loading and viewing my trophies.

The Xbox chat system is phenomanal too. I can have a party of up to 8, correct me if I'm wrong, people who can be doing completely different things, and I can simultaneously be a part of a private chat and game chat, and switch between the 3 within seconds. As far as I know from my Ps3, I can only do that if I'm playing the same game with one of my friends...

It is true that Ps3 plays blu-ray discs, but is that much of an advantage, movie wise? I already have a decent collection of standard disc movies, and I have no drive to update all of my movies with blu-ray, even if the look nicer, it's not economical. Having blu-ray itself is of course an improvement, but only if you have blu-ray movies.

Now don't get me wrong here, I love my Ps3 and Xbox, and it's mostly a matter of what I want to play, and who I want to play with, which dictates my time on them.
This.

arcosanti

I think I might like it here
Here is the final answer to this question:

The best console system is the one that you personally enjoy playing games on the most. At the moment. :D

You can argue performance specs back and forth until you're blue in the face, but if the gaming experience isn't fun who cares how many polygons you can push? Hardware specs aren't the deciding factor, and as supporting evidence consider: the Wii is weaker than either the PS3 and the Xbox and has utterly outsold both of them.

Every system has its advantages and disadvantages. As shizzel2442 points out, he enjoys listening to music through his Xbox while playing games. Personally, I don't care for that myself. Hence, it's a selling point for Xbox for him, and a non starter for me. I absolutely love games like Valkyria Chronicles, and that meant purchasing a PS3 for myself. I also know that's a very niche game and that most gamers could care less about playing it. And I have a blast playing co-op Super Mario Galaxy with my wife on the Wii. And to this day I will still break out the Gamecube for some hot Mario Kart action.

It's like debating the 'best' car or the 'best' house. It's ultimately a personal, highly subjective decision.

Besides - ever notice how a lot of folks have more than one system to begin with? ;)

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
1. The ps3 has a more powerful processor. Yes they have the same clock speed, but the Xbox uses 3 dual-threaded cores, which are out-competed by the PS3's 7 Individual cores.

2. The ps3 has better ram. Although the Xbox has 512 mb, this is split between system and video, whereas the PS3 has 256mb dedicated to the system - Essentially they have memory, but the XBox has a speed of 700MHz, whereas the PS3 has a much larger 3.2GHz.

3. The GPU's are quite evenly matched, so there isn't really a comparison there - The XBox can achieve a higher peak performance as it's GPU shares ram with the system, meaning it has a higher maximum ram to play with, but the PS3 achieves a higher general performance thanks to it's dedicated memory.

4. In terms of memory, the PS3 entirely outclasses the XBox as it can support SATA notebook harddrives and HDD harddrives, whereas the XBox only supports microsoft's own HDD, meaning the PS3 can be fitted with hardrives that have faster RPM speeds.

So overall, the PS3 has better hardware than the XBox. Furthermore, the PS3 has access to a blu ray drive, meaning it can play blu rays..
Atkrye, you have no idea how happy i am to be irrefutably proven wrong.
Generally, when i debate, my opponents will simply say "you are wrong" and not provide hard evidence, facts, or logic to support it.
Its nice to have someone who can properly debate.

Anyway, excellent, i always liked PS3 more anyway, i dont like xbox, far to expensive.

OKAY, Xbox = Xbox, Playstation = Playstation, start comparing them if Xbox goes to free live or when Playstation requires money to play online, or when the games start to be the same and the console starts to be the same.

One thing though, they both copied Wii.

*coughcough*

Spark

Broken
Qri Seomun said:
OKAY, Xbox = Xbox, Playstation = Playstation, start comparing them if Xbox goes to free live or when Playstation requires money to play online, or when the games start to be the same and the console starts to be the same.

One thing though, they both copied Wii.

*coughcough*
I was liking it and 100% agreeing....then you said that :p