Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Game Of Crowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camicaxe

Lord of Altera
Those things should happen regardless of the GoC. What is everyone waiting for? Instead of everyone arguing in the forums they should declare war on someone and settle it in game.
Because Minecraft is a game, nobody can just suddenly open a war or kill someone without the victim to start whining. Anyhow, I'd really appreciate if there'd be more than just a few battles.

By the way, I saw that edit :p

Tomahawk777

King's Hand
Remember the GoC is to decide the ruling house. It's not the only channel for rp battles.
That's exactly what I mean. Go and have fun in open-world battles.
But the GoC is more a way to select the House that rule Altera, and some Houses worked too long on that to just have it as a "fun" event.
Don't understand me wrong, I also don't want to have OOC hate anymore. But still I want to win that crown.
After that game we still can have some fun pvp battles with strict rules to stuff and team size.

Kvothe

Guildmaster
Retired Staff
Seriously, nobody is stopping one another from charging their walls, just keep it friendly :p.

Tomahawk777

King's Hand
Seriously, nobody is stopping one another from charging their walls, just keep it friendly :p.
Yea, just ask. Seriously, most time you ask me or Draco to attack with a House or Town Stormhold I will say yes.
Mostly we have some player online to defend.

Camicaxe

Lord of Altera
This is why Cami is mad. Seriously, if there'd be a war, none of the warlords would be like,

*Walks to the door and knocks*
Hey can I attack you and pwn your house?

Nah, we don't fight, man. We just mine.

*Leaves the place and returns with an army*
Burn the houses! kill the guards! bomb the walls!

Z0mg unconsented PvP hax0rs n00bs wtf gtfo ban him!

Seriously. A war should just happen without consent and restrictions.

Tomahawk777

King's Hand
That is not possible, sorry. But you could ask in OOC. Just a little request to me or a leader of Lonmar, with some details to the number of attackers and we could say if we can get attacked now or not.

Camicaxe

Lord of Altera
That is not possible, sorry. But you could ask in OOC. Just a little request to me or a leader of Lonmar, with some details to the number of attackers and we could say if we can get attacked now or not.
I know it is not possible. Like I said two messages ago, this is a game, and there will always be someone who will do his/her best not to make it happen.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Ok have to chime in:

Heres how the war team should work, in order to keep it fair, AND not silly
Firstly, it cannot work that everyone matches the smallest number.
If that were so, id put on some god armor, gear up, and make sure no one else in my House joined the war. I can take anyone one on one.
What im trying to point out is that this dynamic could be used as an abusive strategy, and therefore needs to go.

How it ought to be done is this:
At any one time during a war, a House may have between 5 and 8 players on the field.
When one dies, they are out, but another may take their place.
When all of your reserve units are used up, you are out.
This way, you will never have a 15v4 situation. The worst is should end up being is 8v5.
If you dont have 5 members in your house, or cant get them all on at the same time, you have 3 options.
You can simply not participate in the war.
You can try your luck anyway, and most likely get uber powned.
Or you can add your troops to the reserve units of one of your allies.

Houses can only add their troops to the reserve units of others if they cannot acquire at least 5 people online in their house at the same time.

For example: Lonmar has about 50ish people (+ or - 15). At that start of the match, they pick 8 people to be in the field. The other 42 are close by in their camp. When one on the field dies, Lonmar can send in another to replace him, keeping them at 8 on the field.
If I were in alliance with Lonmar, but I could not muster up 5 people at the same time, then I would send my people to Lonmar's camp, and add to their reserve units.

Not only does this add a level of realism (strategic reinforcement) as well as a staple RTS dynamic (reserve units for various tactics) it also means that any disadvantages a House has was brought on themselves, and it ensures that a House with loads of people cannot dominate the field, but it also rewards them in a different way for having more members.

Yoda

Lord of Altera
I know it is not possible. Like I said two messages ago, this is a game, and there will always be someone who will do his/her best not to make it happen.
I wouldn't say that's very fair. There's no point for you to attack a town when there's barely anyone there, it'll be too quiet and arranging it would be better for the immersion.
*EDIT*. What legion said.

hshotwell

Lord of Altera
The town you are trying to pillage is unavailable at the moment, at the tone, please leave a disembodied head. Beeeep.

hshotwell

Lord of Altera
There needs to be a love button next to the like button so that i can show how much I approve of legions idea.

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera
If this is still the way of doing things then are coloured helmets needed? Some houses don't have a lot of members so they will only be able to use lets say 5 people, meaning all of the other sides will only be able to use 5 people?
Does this not ruin the point of having lots of active members? If this doesn't change then could we at least not have to wear leather helms? If there's only going to be a small amount of people it would be very hard to get confused.

Don't worry xD there's been a lot of fine-tuning after I said this, it'll be decided that yes, if a house comes in with say.. 5-7 when all the other houses have 10+ they can either hire merc's or just deal with it. I'll be hopefully writing up the war time thread soon, and you guys can help me out fixing up the buggy details :p. I think the coloured helm thing should stay though.

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera
Okay, sorry for the late notice, but the War Time will be postponed for 1 week, I'll update the Wiki timer and when I post the wartime thread we'll pick out a decent time for everyone to go to war >: D.

SobekRa

Lord of Altera
However harsh this may sound, I'd like to add something to that. If you think it's not exciting enough, can we ask you to come up with a better version for the Game of Crowns?

This is not harsh, but the only normal and rational approach. So here you go:

1. The GoC simply lacks immersion. This is a long-anticipated, large event, but it feels like it will just pass by like a regular battle. And especially shortly before the event they participating houses should put some extra effort into the GoC, even if they already worked hard for it,

My suggestions:

a.) Host an event or open a special discussion thread in which the heads of the houses make their point why he/she should have the crown. I personally would favor a thread on the forums, so other players will have the possibility to read it up later. Some form of additional questions from a host would make it even more interesting.
b.) Allow the houses to host military parades on the main plaza to demonstrate their power or celebrations to show their wealth. This would make it far more immersive and important-looking(can also be made a requirement).

For earning such an important title there are merely two battles, one in some city and another one in the SW. Both are planned ahead and would most likely be over in about an hour. This prohibits all possibilities of tactical maneuvres. Like pointed out before, this would just end in who is the longest on the server and who has the best internet connection. Furthermore all of the diplomatic features are removed as well.

My suggestions:

a.) Instead of just planning two fights ahead, a possibility would be an open war. All houses that participate in the GoC automatically consent to war with all the other houses according to the war rules in the NK. The faction that conquered most of the cities controlled by opposing factions during a set time period is the winner(they would be of course returned after the GoC), allowing more tactical maneuvres and short-termed alliances while adding some thrill to the event as well. The current one is too controlled, this is basically all about being better in bashing someone elses head in.
b.) Allow the participating houses to take up to two smaller houses(something like 5-7 people) with them to the battlefield. This way the diplomatical effort other houses have put into diplomacy would not go to waste as well as make it more immersive and real.

I admit I might just have too high expectations, but from my point of view the GoC was shamelessly overhyped. The winner of the GoC would be ruler over the realm for a long time, not just three months, while the current minimalistic approach would be acceptable in the three-months case. Otherwise it would require too much effort into planning and organizing it. Well, this is not the case here. I am aware that it would requires more work to organize and oversee the event if you would follow my suggestions, but this is not just any event. This is the long-awaited GoC.

Status
Not open for further replies.