Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Kerbal Space Program

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
Played it a bit, and you seemingly need to activate career mode so old savegames are useless. (And mod parts too because you can't unlock them lol)

I almost managed to get A LOT of science points in one mission when landing with an open Science bay.
Unfortunately I failed the cost by 50 meters and landed in the water so I only got what I was able to transmit earlier. :(

Sadly they also missed the opportunity to introduce money too, which would have been good in combination with science.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
I don't say that its bad. its just boring to send kerbals to space and space again just to let them return with a parachute rather than landing on the moon.
You also get your first landing struts before anything else you'd need to land on the Moon, yet you get no additional science points for managing to land using them on kerbal :/

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
I envision the system not so much as actual science, and more as "Hey, look at what we did!" so private companies will start building stuff they can use. Only two companies, Jeb's Junkyard & Scrap, and "found lying by the side of the road" initially produce items for the space program, and as you progress you're luring in investors and lucrative contracts.

Angryboy

Natus de Aurum; Natus ex bellum
I think Baron's cracked the code :D

Your first Kerbalnaught is Jeb, who just so happens to run that place... the rest of the pieces are found lying by the side of the road. I remember reading somewhere (the wiki, I think?) that Jeb was being forced volunteered to be the first one to go to space using his own pieces to prove they work.

Angryboy

Really? I've managed to get him to land with only his own pieces quite a few times :D

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
I made 450 science on one flyby mission around the Mun. I was testing the eighth generation of my rocket and it turns out the thing had enough power to get into low Mun orbit and return, possibly even land on the Mun and return, though I didn't want to risk getting stuck with all the data it was harvesting. I did it without power generation or anything beyond the fuel lines upgrade and the science lab.

Angryboy

I think now would probably be a good time to point out I pirated it and don't have this update :(

That being said, Baron mentioned science.... reminds me vaguely of a mod video I saw for it? You could buy certain parts and then upgrade them using science points.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
I think now would probably be a good time to point out I pirated it and don't have this update :(

That being said, Baron mentioned science.... reminds me vaguely of a mod video I saw for it? You could buy certain parts and then upgrade them using science points.
Interstellar mod or Warp Mod or something like that.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
I made 450 science on one flyby mission around the Mun. I was testing the eighth generation of my rocket and it turns out the thing had enough power to get into low Mun orbit and return, possibly even land on the Mun and return, though I didn't want to risk getting stuck with all the data it was harvesting. I did it without power generation or anything beyond the fuel lines upgrade and the science lab.
Luckster... I got 75 for the mun flybay and then it went out of power when the engines gave up lol.
good I could partly transmit it before that...
Well no more unmanned space travel until I got those solar panels I guess lol

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Don't bother with transmitting unless the ship isn't ever going home. My mission was a manned return trip. I haven't bothered with transmitting data for a while now, even though I unlocked panels.

Angryboy

So whats new then?
I'm having difficulty understanding the whole "transmitting data" thing :/

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Transmitting send back the data for a percentage value of the total science it is worth. You can repeat the experiment ad infinitum and transmit those results as well, but it's a diminishing return that will eventually reach a total amount of science that's exactly the same as doing the experiment and returning the ship to Kerbin. It costs energy and time to do that, but the payoff is that you can carry less equipment with you overall, since you can send off a science report and reset the equipment for another test instead of keeping the equipment unusable after the first test until your return to Kerbin.

Angryboy

Just watched an overview video of the update....

SOMEONE! SOMEONE! THEY ADDED SUBASSEMBLY!