Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Languages of the Northern Kingdoms

Shrimpsy

Lord of Altera
If you translate my binary into decimal, it's the following:

2-9-14-1-18-25

Replace the numbers with the letters of the alphabet: b-i-n-a-r-y :p

And /rerail

King Oguk

Earthspawn King
First this isn't necro, as it is still releveant to the thread and the thread needs updating!

Second, Earkzian should be - Orange - Must be taught by a member of the race

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Horgaahn

Is this actually impossible for other races to learn? Or just difficult and unlikely?

Additionally, some languages might have their own alphabet/script such as Elven letters and Dwarven runes, which - in turn - could be written in an array of languages, if that makes sense.

Therefore, a character might be fluent in Verba, literate in Common, and know a few dwarven runes.

Seth_Jenkins

Lord of Altera
Horgaahn

Is this actually impossible for other races to learn? Or just difficult and unlikely?

Additionally, some languages might have their own alphabet/script such as elvish letters and dwarven runes, which - in turn - could be written in an array of languages, if that makes sense.
Horgaahn is technically impossible for another race to learn, for the starting that Dwarves simply do not share their knowledge.
Common beliefs: Many Dwarves believe that they are inherently better than other races. many believe that it is their divine right to rule the other races. they rightfully believe that their crafts are superior and unjustly believe that the craftsmanship of others is worthy only of the raw materials they can be broken down for, and not even that sometimes.
A race which believes it's divine right isn't going to give you it's heritage language to anybody, neither are you going to learn it in a hurry due to the lack of resources to learn it as only the Dwarves have the resources. Even though you could gain a Dwarf's loyalty, they'll be there for you but they wouldn't give away their secrets.
Personally, it'd be hard to learn for other races as well just for 1) The strong accenting of Dwarves 2) Vocal chords not accustomed to that of the Underground which aided the development of the language.

In other words, your not learning Horgaahn, Dwarves are Dwarves and won't teach you as well as difference in vocal co-ordination that is more harsh to humans. If somebody is saying 'I was taught by a Dwarf' then I'm going to give you that ' Oh no you didn't' glare as we simply don't giveaway that language, it is in our lore :p

Also, by written in an array of languages, do you mean translation?

Jeroxia

We demons of our solemn hour
Good
Horgaahn is technically impossible for another race to learn, for the starting that Dwarves simply do not share their knowledge.

A race which believes it's divine right isn't going to give you it's heritage language to anybody, neither are you going to learn it in a hurry due to the lack of resources to learn it as only the Dwarves have the resources. Even though you could gain a Dwarf's loyalty, they'll be there for you but they wouldn't give away their secrets.
Personally, it'd be hard to learn for other races as well just for 1) The strong accenting of Dwarves 2) Vocal chords not accustomed to that of the Underground which aided the development of the language.

In other words, your not learning Horgaahn, Dwarves are Dwarves and won't teach you as well as difference in vocal co-ordination that is more harsh to humans. If somebody is saying 'I was taught by a Dwarf' then I'm going to give you that ' Oh no you didn't' glare as we simply don't giveaway that language, it is in our lore :p

Tell ormild to not tell and yell to Jeroxia in and about horgaahn then

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Not quite. I mean that rather than just a spoken tongue, there are the spellings/phonetics of a language to learn, and for some there might be different characters.

For example I could use Dwarven runes to write Elven words, or Elven letters to write Common words.

So there are effectively two things to learn for most languages:
a) Its spoken (or heard) form
b) Its written (or read) form

But there might be different alphabets in some languages.
For example Syrien letters might resemble Korean or Chinese characters, whilst Elvish might look like a version of Ancient Greek, Earthspawn might use hieroglyhics, and Dwarves might use Futhark runes.

Just examples, of course, but you get the idea.

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Its, Faelin, not It's. You should know the difference between a pronoun and a contraction!
...Also hieroglyphs.

(This is just for fun, no offense :p)
ARGH, KILL THEM. KILL THEM BOTH. WITH FIRE. AND STEEL. AND POISON.

THIS IS WHAT EASTER HOLIDAYS DO TO MY BRAIN.