Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Languages of the Northern Kingdoms

Aeturnumbrae

Loyal Servant of Altera
I had this idea to create a list of languages in the Northern kingdoms. It should help people, at least I hope it does!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Common tongue - The most common tongue of the Northern Kingdoms, spoken first by Humans. Nearly every citizen of Altera can speak this language.

Qenya - Spoken by the Elves, dialects vary among Wood Elves, High Elves and of course the Dark Elves. Elven is spoken by all Elves, as it is the language they grow up speaking, though it is rarely heard in public, some Elves use it to perform Magick.

Horgaahn - Spoken by the Dwarves, has many different forms e.g Ancient. However to the proud hearts of the dwarves they refuse to indulge the secrets of this tongue to others, it is a stout and rocky language, it doesn't flow as well as the language of the Elves.

Verba - Spoken by the Nakam, hard for others to learn though still possible, but must be taught by a Nakat as they are the only ones who fully understand the language as a whole.

Sewade - The language of the Syrien, impossible for a legged to learn as it is a very complicated language for them to understand, the words that are not spoken in Sewade are often replaced with more common words or just don't exist.

Tafod- The tongue of the demons, no other race can learn it (More as I learn)

Earkzian - The Earkz'Dok Earthspawns tribe language, they speak this language only when among themselves though it has been heard being spoke by them when they think they are alone. Here for more information

Fae - The language of the Caparii, light as summer leaves.

Greyling - The tongue of the Greylings, can be learned by others though it is very hard to do so (More as a I learn)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red - Other races can't learn
Green - Other races can learn
Black - Unknown
Orange - Must be taught by a member of the race

Please do note that no one likes a character that can speak all the languages, so choose languages that compliment your characters backstory, do tell me if I missed any!
It's funny how Greyling tongue is just called Greyling and its at the bottom, not very invented creatures then?

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
I've not been told anything about them as a whole really... No reason for them being at them bottom tbh xD

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
Well a problem is greyling a talk to each other in whispers... You're not going to overhear much. They will also not tell you a thing about it. I suppose it's just as unlearn able as Horghaan really, as no greyling will teach you it.

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
Every race of elf seems to speak a variant of Qenya, so perhaps that should be noted? Also, Altera is a biiiig place. It doesn't make much sense for every human to speak the same language, as is in real life.... Am I the only one who thinks this?

-K9

K9

Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
Noooooooorse... Nooooooooooooooooorse... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORSE!!!
*coughs violently* Eh? What's that? I said nothing... *scuttles away*

Noooooorse.....

*cough cough*

-K9

Yoda

Lord of Altera
Every race of elf seems to speak a variant of Qenya, so perhaps that should be noted? Also, Altera is a biiiig place. It doesn't make much sense for every human to speak the same language, as is in real life.... Am I the only one who thinks this?

-K9
My simple answer to that would be yes, you should be.

When thought of, it does make sense for every human to speak the same language. It's as if you were judging them like any other race- just because their numbers are larger doesn't necessarily mean there are that many variations. Altera is just as big for the others.

On a sidenote, and out of topical interest, is Goldengem25's clan human or any-race? I'd like to see their language explained a little here(if they have one, which I'm pretty sure of).

K9

Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter

When thought of, it does make sense for every human to speak the same language. It's as if you were judging them like any other race- just because their numbers are larger doesn't necessarily mean there are that many variations. Altera is just as big for the others.

On a sidenote, and out of topical interest, is Goldengem25's clan human or any-race? I'd like to see their language explained a little here(if they have one, which I'm pretty sure of).
In my opinion, it doe not make sense for every human to be fluent in one language. It'd make everything a LOT easier in terms of communication. But, due to seperation, languages would vary, new words invented to explain things, different pronunciations of words and the sort (which is how languages evolve)

Engem is essentially a code language, if you will. For a select few to speak only. It's a private way of a clan to communicate. Code language is easy to make for a simple one, time and dedication to make a difficult one. This, I'm unsure but I suspect that the language of Engem is quite complex to understand but easy once you know the basics, which is how nearly 100% of code languages work (Not talking about things like HTML and java here)

-K9

K9

Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
What are you two doing?

Calling the Narwhals?

Maaaaybe. Narwhals are like the unicorns of the sea and they'll stabby stab all the Syr- I mean they'll help syrien be the unicorn mounts people.... Yeah... That....

-K9

Yoda

Lord of Altera
In my opinion, it doe not make sense for every human to be fluent in one language. It'd make everything a LOT easier in terms of communication. But, due to seperation, languages would vary, new words invented to explain things, different pronunciations of words and the sort (which is how languages evolve)

Engem is essentially a code language, if you will. For a select few to speak only. It's a private way of a clan to communicate. Code language is easy to make for a simple one, time and dedication to make a difficult one. This, I'm unsure but I suspect that the language of Engem is quite complex to understand but easy once you know the basics, which is how nearly 100% of code languages work (Not talking about things like HTML and java here)

-K9
How would things be easier to communicate if humans were fluent in different languages? I can see how a language could have variation,but that's not a completely different language. That's for example, saying that Gog(North Wales accent, along with different words for things) is a different language to Welsh, which it is not.

As for private ways for a clan to communicate, that's not a language humans are fluent in. That's a language that clan in particular are fluent in. Remember that the languages here are based on community in some ways, because although being humans(unconfirmed) Engems live completely differently to normal folk.

If there were enough people of a certain subculture to base a language around it might work, however the more languages there are the more people you have going <> for different languages, and you'll end up thinking a Greyling is speaking Syrien. For the language's subculture to work, as a subculture instead of a brand new race, I'd think it would have to be vaguely similar to the common language of its race. For example with the Scandinavians, Danish is intelligible with both Norwegian and Swedish.

Goldengem25

The Kingdom Crusher

I can answer this!

The Engem Clan is a tribe that originates from far away lands. Snowy lands, to be exact. And there is a bit of a weird aspect to the clan in terms of membership. You're either a Engem by name or a True Engem. True Engems are basically just tribal humans that were born into the original tribe, so they're biological Engems. Engems by names are initiates, who join by a sort of ritual which is followed by tattoos and the most likely deterioration of your mental presence of manners, common sense and ect.; and blah blah blah. So it is all race.

Anyway, the language. While it's barely anything at the moment, you could imagine it as a mix of certain languages. Varying from African languages to (oddly enough) Celtic. I've made almost nothing to actually make it a language you can say outside of that <>, but I could give you a taster of the language. Bwonoswaicri for instance literally means "Sacred First Outpost". Bwono meaning first, swai meaning outpost and the cri suffix telling you it's sacred.

Though, the Engem language is diverse. At one time you could be sounding Carribean by the use of the words, but then you could sound Celtic or African when you change topic.

(It's late where I am, so excuse anything that doesn't make sense ._. And also, I've tried my best to stay with in what the server lore allows, and in this case I'm just saying there was a group of secluded tribesmen on these far off lands, which a lot of people live in their applications :p)

K9

Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
How would things be easier to communicate if humans were fluent in different languages? I can see how a language could have variation,but that's not a completely different language. That's for example, saying that Gog(North Wales accent, along with different words for things) is a different language to Welsh, which it is not.
Ah I do believe you misunderstood. I said the opposite. ''In my opinion, it doe not make sense for every human to be fluent in one language. It'd make everything a LOT easier in terms of communication. But, due to seperation, languages would vary, new words invented to explain things, different pronunciations of words and the sort (which is how languages evolve)''

I was saying that if everyone spoke the same language it would be easier. But it does not make sense.
If there were enough people of a certain subculture to base a language around it might work, however the more languages there are the more people you have going <> for different languages, and you'll end up thinking a Greyling is speaking Syrien. For the language's subculture to work, as a subculture instead of a brand new race, I'd think it would have to be vaguely similar to the common language of its race. For example with the Scandinavians, Danish is intelligible with both Norwegian and Swedish.
While this may be true, Welsh is completely different to Irish, which is closer to each other than scandanavia and norway/swedish. And let's be honest, while they are similar, No swedish person could walk into a room full of people from norway speaking their home tounge, and converse fluently. Or even converse at all. A simple ''Hej'' would probably be understood as would ''taxi'' but that's almost drawing the line.

True Engems are Human but there are other races that are part of the clan itself

-K9

Yoda

Lord of Altera
Although Altera is a big place, I think there are already enough common languages to have a pointless extra one. We'd have to practically halve humans into two subcultures to give a lore explanation to them. Think of it like making a new elven subrace.

W

wakerman4

What about Morse code?
We can change this in Altera lore and stuff.

O'malley code.