Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Life Is Feudal: Sandbox MMO in a realistic medieval setting

Sos

Lord of Altera
if this game had magic.... they would not be able to take my money fast enough.
But im sure it will be modded in.... hopefully...

Fronslin

Based on what?
Retired Staff
Fronslin
Fronslin
Good
*shrugs* I could adjust to not having magic.

But what about multiple races though?

Could you all handle the change of only humans being playable?

It'd make it interesting wouldn't it?

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
I don't really understand the push for having magic in everything. Medieval Europe didn't have magic, they seemed fine... (okay, maybe aside from a couple of plagues that could've been avoided <_<). Look at M&B - fun game without magic. Also, Kingdom Come seems rather promising. :p

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
*Looks at the second word in the server description*

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Balance can be struck between the two. I just feel like a Medieval setting is interesting enough alone to not require magic as a large part of it, though it can use magic in a secondary or even tertiary role. Magic tends to end up being a sort of machinegun in a society that still uses clubs, to make an analogy. Suddenly, the world is open to its users. In many Medieval Fantasies, wizards understand basic science and can easily heal people, basically neglecting the Medieval aspect, where medicine was an infant, just starting to learn how to walk, or not even that.

Sos

Lord of Altera
... i think people generally need to get off the "but its not realistic" horse.... you travel to the next town.... that means that everyone in altera is the lucky few.
look, if magic makes sense and not the end all to all problems, who cares.

Sos

Lord of Altera
... i think people generally need to get off the "but its not realistic" horse.... you travel to the next town.... that means that everyone in altera is the lucky few.
look, if magic makes sense and not the end all to all probles, who cares.
Its like cyberpunk that's not grim, dark and depressing... yes you can have it, but it's not as fun.

i could go on, steam punk that doesn't have goggles and modern day appliances/weapons that don't run on steam, Space ships without FTL, superheroes without capes and cheesy one liners, shooters without flamethrowers or jet packs, Magic without demons... the list goes on.

Last edited:

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
look, if magic makes sense and not the end all to all problems, who cares.
Don't get me wrong. I didn't say I hate magic everywhere it goes. But sometimes magic is more of a messy addition than fun. Take a disgustingly overused example; Game of Thrones. Magic in GoT doesn't allow you to become a demigod. It's a very hard and rare sight, and as such it remains something unique and mysterious, with not all that many advantages. Magic annoys me only when it becomes the primary function in what is known as Medieval Fantasy. Pure fantasy can have all the magic it wants, since fantasy has no limitations. But as soon as you add the label "Medieval", then you're setting a restriction. In stricter terms, Medieval Fantasy should actually take place anywhere between, I'd say, 7th and 15th century on Earth. Anything elsewhere is just fantasy, perhaps inspired by Medieval times. At this point, my arguments collide and I stop before I make an even greater mess... >_> :p

Sos

Lord of Altera
Don't get me wrong. I didn't say I hate magic everywhere it goes. But sometimes magic is more of a messy addition than fun. Take a disgustingly overused example; Game of Thrones. Magic in GoT doesn't allow you to become a demigod. It's a very hard and rare sight, and as such it remains something unique and mysterious, with not all that many advantages. Magic annoys me only when it becomes the primary function in what is known as Medieval Fantasy. Pure fantasy can have all the magic it wants, since fantasy has no limitations. But as soon as you add the label "Medieval", then you're setting a restriction. In stricter terms, Medieval Fantasy should actually take place anywhere between, I'd say, 7th and 15th century on Earth. Anything elsewhere is just fantasy, perhaps inspired by Medieval times. At this point, my arguments collide and I stop before I make an even greater mess... >_> :p
Oh don't get me wrong, i agree, too much magic is more damning than not any at all, less is more in a medieval setting i tend to find. although the term fantasy is a bit vague as to where it is set, that is why i prefer the term future fantasy and historical fantasy.
but it appears people shout and scream about magic and it looks like we may say good-bye to magic on this server, unless the staff support heretics to have magic (which i doubt).
But recently playing shadow run puts an interesting perspective on things...

Megadonkey30

Lord of Altera
MD30
MD30
Where is magic in the base game of minecraft? So.. Yeah, magic has nothing to do with it.

Teleports, enchanents, and a rare dragon, potions? I mean magic magic, fireball shooting scrolls.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
You guys know what is sad?
Early Access just opened up at steam a few hours ago and my steam wallet is empty >.<
EA costs you 30 Bucks btw.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
Anyone got it already and can tell me if the NPCs are in already? Or is it just building with no threat of getting killed by anything?