Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

More on OOC Issues

Spark

Broken
Nice to see everyone has come together as a community, to then gang up on a select group. Nice guys, real nice. Why don't you just drop the OOC hate, and stop getting so worked up about it. To be honest, I can't see what the "Senatoors" have done wrong in this situation (OOC). The only thing I see is people constantly ripping into them.

Violence will always be on the server unless it is ruled out. People clearly enjoy that type of RP otherwise it wouldn't happen. There are already measures in place to allow people to have non-violent regions.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
How about we take away the fact the setting is medieval and realize there are /gods/ who are dedicated purely to keeping the peace, and education has been spread more often in this fantasy server, to the point that it's generally accepted breaking legs and killing people was a no no. The metaphor may be slightly off but, we don't need to debate or argue the metaphor because the point still stands true.

The server appears to have to much violence, and this needs to be fixed. A argument about medieval violence is pointless in this situation, same goes for a debate about Vermella. Lets focus on what we can do to lower these OOC issues, and lowering violence is one of those ways in my mind.
I never said it doesn't need to be fixed, I said that people's non violent perception of medieval times is as deluded as those who think it was excessive violence all over.
That violence is out of character (not in the sense of ooc) either way since we know that violence is usually tied to education, and most of the characters in question have IC claims of higher education or intelligence...

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
I'd like to suggest a system that goes with this post. Something that /discourages/ killing other characters, or even acting violent... Perhaps enforcing the realistic emotional and mental strains and consequences that would happen from killing a person? Or simply put more scrutiny on violent characters as a whole? Really, something /needs/ to be done about the state of hyper violence on the server.
When people's characters start getting policed, even if they're hyper violent, people (including myself) get upset over the OOC decision made to do so. People's characters are their own, with their own reasons for killing. Sure, if evidence points towards them ICly, then prosecution is natural - but if it's all OOC based, it's nonsensical and I do not support it. People fight, people war, it's natural - and seeing as though my aging soldier has plans that basically revolve around just that coming up very very soon, it would be incredibly detrimental to him IC if other people were not allowed to play characters who like to fight / have to fight / know how to fight.

TL;DR: Policing characters OOCly (unless they break inappropriate conduct rules) is very bad.

Tybalt

Lord of Altera
@gaby

Hyper violent RP. And Hypocrasy.

Good example

Is asked to just to forget Morna because her killing her family isn't a big deal and she doesn't need to die for it.

I decided to do a test so

*throws a bottle at Sarus while he's leaving*

The Senatoors drew swords......over a bottle being thrown. (It's more than the Senatoors that do this I just use examples I know more of)

A better and more realistic alternative would to have a simple bar fight.

But it's really funny.
To someone killing a family isn't a big deal and you should just forget about it.

But if someone throws a bottle out of you it's World War III

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
Nice to see everyone has come together as a community, to then gang up on a select group. Nice guys, real nice. Why don't you just drop the OOC hate, and stop getting so worked up about it. To be honest, I can't see what the "Senatoors" have done wrong in this situation (OOC). The only thing I see is people constantly ripping into them.

Violence will always be on the server unless it is ruled out. People clearly enjoy that type of RP otherwise it wouldn't happen. There are already measures in place to allow people to have non-violent regions.
I agree with Spark, the Senatoors should not be ganged up on OOCly. That's the exact reference that was made on the OP. What the Senatoors do In Character should be reacted to In Character, not swarmed with OOC hate. That's irrational and immature, guys.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
@gaby

Hyper violent RP. And Hypocrasy.

Good example

Is asked to just to forget Morna because her killing her family isn't a big deal and she doesn't need to die for it.

I decided to do a test so

*throws a bottle at Sarus while he's leaving*

The Senatoors drew swords......over a bottle being thrown. (It's more than the Senatoors that do this I just use examples I know more of)

A better and more realistic alternative would to have a simple bar fight.

But it's really funny.
To someone killing a family isn't a big deal and you should just forget about it.

But if someone throws a bottle out of you it's World War III
Yeah, this gets a bit ridiculous. I am not a fan of how everyone rushes to violence, especially over tiny things, when those people are not insane or psychopathic (by definition). This needs to be addressed, certainly.

Patrickdxs

Lord of Altera
When people's characters start getting policed, even if they're hyper violent, people (including myself) get upset over the OOC decision made to do so. People's characters are their own, with their own reasons for killing. Sure, if evidence points towards them ICly, then prosecution is natural - but if it's all OOC based, it's nonsensical and I do not support it. People fight, people war, it's natural - and seeing as though my aging soldier has plans that basically revolve around just that coming up very very soon, it would be incredibly detrimental to him IC if other people were not allowed to play characters who like to fight / have to fight / know how to fight.

TL;DR: Policing characters OOCly (unless they break inappropriate conduct rules) is very bad.

I have taken what you said into consideration, but I would really like to hear what solutions you have to propose instead of policing violent characters, I think we can start up a good conversation about how to improve these issues, if they are related to violent RP.

Yeah, this gets a bit ridiculous. I am not a fan of how everyone rushes to violence, especially over tiny things, when those people are not insane or psychopathic (by definition). This needs to be addressed, certainly.
This is exactly the discussion I was hoping to bring about with my post, apologizes for making it seem like I just wanted to police violent RP in every form.

Sos

Lord of Altera
*whispers* this would be a brilliant reason for daemons to come in... and pseudo police the violence, like in an alarming amount of mythologies... except Christianity but that's another reason entirely

*normal voice* we have actual gods. Some Boons were in fact very good incentives in medieval times; from free beer to an allocated amount of cake in the after life.... just leaving this here for future debate. *runs and hides in nuclear bunker and watches thread*

Spark

Broken
I have taken what you said into consideration, but I would really like to hear what solutions you have to propose instead of policing violent characters, I think we can start up a good conversation about how to improve these issues, if they are related to violent RP.

This is exactly the discussion I was hoping to bring about with my post, apologizes for making it seem like I just wanted to police violent RP in every form.
Assuming I think anything should be changed at all. Things are fine the way they are, the peaceful regions allow for uninterrupted, peaceful RP for those who want it. People are just taking this way out of hand.

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
I think (think being the operative word here), that the situation may be slowing down and chilling out a bit? I get this impression from the fact that the Senatoors have moved far away from any aggressors.

I've always wondered why you all want to RP with each other if you hate each others' guts. ACU20 has said he's more than happy to be rid of all this RP and OOC conflict, and that that is part of why he's moved so far away from all the aggressors, as far as I know.

My suggestion would be to encourage this distance, and just try not to RP with each other very much. That said I don't know for certain every single detail and aspect of this months-long conflict, and I think it would be impossible to do so as both sides seem to conveniently miss out details that could put them in a damning light.

Basically, would it be good if you just avoided each other for a bit? Until negative OOC feelings become residual memories or less. I dunno if it would work or not, but it hasn't really been tried yet I don't think, so it might be worth a shot? ^^

BarbarianGaming

Lord of Altera
I think (think being the operative word here), that the situation may be slowing down and chilling out a bit? I get this impression from the fact that the Senatoors have moved far away from any aggressors.

I've always wondered why you all want to RP with each other if you hate each others' guts. ACU20 has said he's more than happy to be rid of all this RP and OOC conflict, and that that is part of why he's moved so far away from all the aggressors, as far as I know.

My suggestion would be to encourage this distance, and just try not to RP with each other very much. That said I don't know for certain every single detail and aspect of this months-long conflict, and I think it would be impossible to do so as both sides seem to conveniently miss out details that could put them in a damning light.

Basically, would it be good if you just avoided each other for a bit? Until negative OOC feelings become residual memories or less. I dunno if it would work or not, but it hasn't really been tried yet I don't think, so it might be worth a shot? ^^
Ced we have been, and then the Senatoors come down to Azerport and pull swords on people throwing bottles.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
I'm not about to discuss the precise degree of messed up in the Medieval times without proper research.

I'm also not about to discuss the Heart Prophecy on this thread, as that is soooo off-topic
Considering how it has the strong potential to end up in more excessive violence it is not that off topic at all.

Heh, I miss when things actually had repercussions.

Back with the Crown, people couldn't just kill someone and get away with it as easily as they could now. When that system was dissolved, everything shattered and went back to the old "wild west" style of play. I honestly see no real solution to the violence, as that's always going to exist in a medieval environment. I personally found that the Crown system did well in addressing a lot of issues, but it's a bit too far to re-instate that.

Adding a system to monitor the mental backlash of killing someone is probably not a great idea and likely would be a waste of time. The better solution would be for staff to just monitor powergaming and be a bit more harsh in those punishments in order to discourage bad roleplay.
That only extended to Port Silver though, where admittingly most such things happened.
But well I can't wait to get my thoughts about Hierax {Moderate} version down on paper, and discuss it with the rest of the heirs and ultimately staff. - Curious to see its effects on suppressing unneeded violence.

Ced we have been, and then the Senatoors come down to Azerport and pull swords on people throwing bottles.
Throwing a bottle against someones head can actually very easily kill them.

Basically what I meant with forcing the peaceful tags on the regions in question for a while.

Patrickdxs

Lord of Altera

I would agree, however it appears that /both/ sides have chosen that instead of staying away and sticking far from their enemies in RP as they should if they want to avoid violence... Well the Senatoor have been coming to Azerport, literally the closest ally to the Engem, and threatening their town with destruction, their ruler with the death of his family, and destroying things in their bars and demanding they leave the kings worst enemy alone so the Senatoor can continue hiding her, after having promised to stay away and hide in their newly made fortress... The Engem and Order and everyone do the same but, it appears the Senatoor are the ones I know most about due to the fact they will be taking the full brunt of the consequences for everyone's actions.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Can we rerail to the issue at hand instead of the Senatoor vs Marr situation? Specific incidents are less important than the whole shebang.

Personally, I feel that just educating players on more proper rp and how they'd realistically handle trauma would go a long way. I can have a thread up about this in a few hours when I get off work, but one thread won't go as far as everyone mutually cooperating on this stuff. If people were given constructive criticism when others do something dumb which escalates a situation instead of the rp erupting into a flame war this problem would be dead and gone inside of two weeks.

And there is a difference between constructive criticism and being an ass, guys. Keep it friendly OOC and the rest will follow. You're all playing the same game together.

skuller

Lord of Altera

If people as a community have a problem with something then something is obviously wrong. Just because you're not aware of it and people are complaining it's not hate it's concern.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Considering how it has the strong potential to end up in more excessive violence it is not that off topic at all.
[angry rant about the Heart Prophecy not leading to excessive violence at all, continued angry rant about historical accuracy not mattering in Hollowworld because it has sci-fi elements.]
[text deleted for derailing the conversation and being rude as nether]

Last edited:

Tybalt

Lord of Altera
Can we rerail to the issue at hand instead of the Senatoor vs Marr situation? Specific incidents are less important than the whole shebang.

Personally, I feel that just educating players on more proper rp and how they'd realistically handle trauma would go a long way. I can have a thread up about this in a few hours when I get off work, but one thread won't go as far as everyone mutually cooperating on this stuff. If people were given constructive criticism when others do something dumb which escalates a situation instead of the rp erupting into a flame war this problem would be dead and gone inside of two weeks.

And there is a difference between constructive criticism and being an ass, guys. Keep it friendly OOC and the rest will follow. You're all playing the same game together.
The reason I brought up that incident is because it was the only example I had a full understanding of and it represented the hyper violent RP problem perfectly

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
Heh, I miss when things actually had repercussions.

Back with the Crown, people couldn't just kill someone and get away with it as easily as they could now. When that system was dissolved, everything shattered and went back to the old "wild west" style of play. I honestly see no real solution to the violence, as that's always going to exist in a medieval environment. I personally found that the Crown system did well in addressing a lot of issues, but it's a bit too far to re-instate that.

Adding a system to monitor the mental backlash of killing someone is probably not a great idea and likely would be a waste of time. The better solution would be for staff to just monitor powergaming and be a bit more harsh in those punishments in order to discourage bad roleplay.
Which is exactly why I love the crown system. I personally feel that a main governing crown should be reinstated, as a centralized government really gives both A. my character a real purpose, and B. overarching laws and protection and etc. for violence. I feel that if somebody spun up an IC campaign to rebuild Port Silver, then behind the scenes we might be able to give the Silver Council a reason to deem somebody a new monarch. But that's not really discussion for this thread.

If we were to have the Crown back, I feel as though it would have a grand impact on the wild west style violence you noted.