Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

New Race Proposal- Nakam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valcust

Lord of Altera
The race I am proposing is the Nakam(Nah-Kahm), Or singular, Nakat(Nah-Ka’t).
These people originate from Ocelots, just as humans originated from apes, and are a race of bipedal felines. They’ve evolved nearly identically to humans, the only noticeable traits they’ve gained being somewhat advanced night vision, and of course their apparent fur pelt and feline-like face. Though the Nakam are Just as agile, just as strong, and just as smart as any human.

If anything, the Nakam are at a mental hindrance, as they tend to be more emotionally and socially impulsive, often making decisions spur of the moment.
Because of their weak psyche, each Nakat runs the risk of becoming “Feral”.
A feral Nakat is void of all consciousness, all personality, and is seen by other Nakam as a simple predatory monster, driven by instinct, and no longer a person.
Though initiating “feral mode” in a Nakat requires a great deal of mental trauma, and while it’s rare to find a feral, many who do are scarred for life, if they survive their encounter at all.

Feral mode, however, is only a temporary ailment, and usually subsides anywhere within a week to a few months. Though Nakam who've been rehabilitated usually suffer heavy mental blocks and find even the simplest of tasks very mentally taxing.

The Nakam originate from a frozen island west of port silver, called Kavdek.
Kavdek is no wasted tundra, however, instead it is flush with a frozen jungle.
Trees taller than the mountains that surround them, able to withstand temperatures as low as five below.
Among the icicles and vines lay the only visible marks of any sort of civilization. Treehouse villages, some as large as small towns, can be seen dangling amongst the clouds, filled with Nakam.
Culturally, the Nakam tend to be tribe oriented, with each tribe consisting of three or more families.
Each family generally has a specialization in which they practice and contribute to the tribe through. Such as hunting, construction, gathering, Etc. Though no tribe has a clear cut “Leader”, the position can be said to be taken by the elders of each tribe.
Most tribes, however, were started as Nakam left their own tribes and began their own. Because of such, most of the elders’ stories are very similar, if not exactly the same, regardless of which tribe they’re from.
A very important similarity between all Nakam lore is their resting place, their ‘religion’, of sorts.
All Nakam elders tell of altera itself being the resting place for the deceased. Their souls and bodies becoming one with the world. Because of this, most Nakam see magic as a cruel and heinous taboo, as most magic draws its energy from its caster’s surroundings, and therefore, magic does draw energy from what the Nakam perceive to be their ancestor’s resting place.
And while it is rare to find a Kavdek native Nakam willing to perform magic, they are fully able to, and suffer from no magic handicaps.
Evidence of this comes from Verbali, A more modern and advanced Nakam city, residing on the southern coast of Kavdek.
Verbali Nakam have left their traditional native roots to pursue a less “Brutish” existence, and are easily distinguishable from Native Nakam, as most Verbali use paints to create spectacular patterns on their fur.
Most Verbali Nakam are well versed in both english and their native language, though they often prefer english, as it’s the only way to perform trade with human ships that come to port from time to time.

Though Kavdek is not without it’s own hardships.
Through unknown origins, be it a crashed exploratory ship, or a purposeful colony, there is a growing town of Dwarven like folk held up on the eastern coast of Kavdek. Though the Nakam know them as the Teshvadiik, The Brutes of Hunger. The Teshvadiik see Nakam pelts as a treasure, their shape fitting dwarven bodies without much stitching or work.
Because of such, most Nakam will be afraid of Dwarves, or perhaps a little off around them.

On a lighter note, the Nakam are not void of attraction, if anything they're much more active "lovingly" than most other creatures.
Most other races find sexing a Nakam difficult, due to the lack of familiar facial features, and the very neutral gender personality between males and females (males and females generally act the same, without the "tough guy" or "fragile woman" stereotypes.) Though Nakam in themselves can distinguish gender easily.
Within both the tribal and Verbali Nakam cultures, Marriage does not exist. Instead, each Nakat mates for life to a single other Nakat.
Each Nakam mated couple will usually be inseparable and are seen as a singular unit among their peers.

Further information:
- There is no set fur pattern for the Nakam, as their pelts are generally as distinguished as any thumbprint
- Native Nakam do wear clothing, but tend to be very minimalistic. Though Verbali Nakam wear clothing just as intricate and/or excessive as any human.
- Most Nakam will avoid water, but don't fear it. (if you've ever gone swimming with long hair, you'll understand..)
- Nakam do see fish as a delicacy, but only because fishing is so rare in their native land of Kavdek, mostly due to their lakes and rivers being frozen over.
- Most native nakam see the outside world as an extreme danger, and will not leave their homeland lightly.
- Nakam lack the ability to digest grain properly, and will often get sick if they ingest anything of the like. (though this won’t always stop them from eating cake!)

I thank you for your time and consideration to add the Nakam to the list of official races in Altera!

*The Nakam have become a special perms race since the creation of this thread*
*Note that this is the rough draft of the Lore-layout- anything here may or may not be changed in the future.*

Valcust

Lord of Altera
I've actually never payed much attention to the elder scrolls series XP
I played Skyrim for all of five minuets to jump around with a tail..
But no, I thought the Khajiit originated from a desert like area?
And besides, I've done my best to come up with original lore >.<

WildWyvern

Legend of Altera
This isn't Skyrim Aug, :D plus they aren't feline bandits that are high on moon sugar.
Also Valcust is right about Khadjits, they hated cold areas. I like what I've read so far about them, and I hope to see Nakams as an Alteran. Variety in races is a good thing after all. :cool:

ZETHCRON

Lord of Altera
Valcust I'm very impressed to find you have written so much about the nakam, I can even remember a races name unless it's written somewhere. I like everything I've read, I also think that Khajits should be an entirely seperate race from the nakam because they are.

Maybe in the future you could come up with some stories or folk lore? I enjoy reading lore very much.

Valcust

Lord of Altera
Heh, believe it or not, the Nakam has been with me for about a year now! I've lots of stories and lore to post..of course, I did write most of them before I became so..er, fluent in writing..perhaps I'll just fix them up a bit, but I'll be sure to post them!

THUNDAMUNKY

Villager
I honestly love the idea of Nakam! It's kind of like Kajiits, but not...
Er...well, I guess its a race of man animals! It's just an appealing thing!

Eric V

Legend of Altera
I like how much time and effort you put into this, it seems well thought out, and it does allow for variety within the races as Nakam do sound a little bit more exotic then most.

Valcust

Lord of Altera
I like how much time and effort you put into this, it seems well thought out, and it does allow for variety within the races as Nakam do sound a little bit more exotic then most.
Thanks! I've actually had my RP character for about a year, so all this has developed over time :p
But yes, i was hoping to bring some exoticness into the world, if only to further the role playing possibilities!

Spear

The Undying Scholar.
Retired Staff
Nearly closed this after reading ocelot people but im really glad I didn't. Extremely well written lore for a race, not made to be more powerful than others, inclusive of social traits and views on other races and well described society. Would you like me to repost this on the council forums? As I think it needs to be seen and considered there properly.

Mikipowah

Thick Skulled Spaniard
Great explaination there Valcust, good luck getting your race accepted.
Glad to know something good can come out from our little..... discussion, and that you are cooperating along the server's rules :)

Valcust

Lord of Altera
Nearly closed this after reading ocelot people but im really glad I didn't. Extremely well written lore for a race, not made to be more powerful than others, inclusive of social traits and views on other races and well described society. Would you like me to repost this on the council forums? As I think it needs to be seen and considered there properly.
Would you please? That'd be great ^w^
And thank you for reading it over!
A-and though this part is no huge deal, b-but I'll be given proper credit, r-right?

Wyvern740

Lord of Altera
Most people have been Rping as cat-people, and I'm glad they finally have an official name and place here in Altera.
...Unfortunately my character used to hunt them in his homeland and its making things very tense for him.. great people though.

Status
Not open for further replies.