Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Public Notice] The Kaiser claims the Imperial Marches

The Courier

Lord of Altera
If the 'discussion is for naught' as much as War Rules is, understand my extreme doubt in anything being done. Call me a whiner if you want, but every single time I've heard the statement 'We're working on it, be patient' I've gotten nothing out of it, we all haven't gotten anything out of it. I expect this consent crap to be a problem well into next year, I expect war rules never.

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
Again, on no side. What would suffice for a substantial "military"? What constitutes that? Besides "being on", as it is an issue for many nowadays.
Just read your previously post. "Substantial Military", and I say this in noble terms- as players can very well make a bandit organization or barbarian clan to do the same, would be a decent handful of characters part of the organization. I'm not saying someone needs to recruit 30+ players, even if it's doable, but if you want to establish an empire or takeover, you need some backing to it along with agreement oocly from two parties that goes along with the claim you want to uphold. Want to take over a small village? You don't need more than 3-5 players if the villager owner consents an attempt (emphasis- this part goes first). This includes some funding and the tools or wits to go about it. Rome wasn't built in a day, and I use the ancient term lightly for those who're troubled by consent not being a thing in medieval times. We're a sandbox, multiplayer server with a medieval/fantasy theme. If you want conflict, communicate that with folks in a manner where you don't steamroll them oocly.

if you read my post you'd know that it says i have no intentions to mess with people who already have regions there, mostly because i genuinely didn't know there were so many. only duskholm is marked on the dynmap and it has nothing built. cukie is the only one who's made an effort to RP out a solution to the problem so far though.
Yes, I did read your responses and I'm aware that not all the regions are listed with a marker. But I feel this thread would have gone a lot better if there was some effort into finding and contacting folks around the region. There's a fort right below Motte_Farne, for example, and it looks like they weren't aware this was happening judging from overlord's reply post.

If the 'discussion is for naught' as much as War Rules is, understand my extreme doubt in anything being done. Call me a whiner if you want, but every single time I've heard the statement 'We're working on it, be patient' I've gotten nothing out of it, we all haven't gotten anything out of it. I expect this consent crap to be a problem well into next year, I expect war rules never.
If that's your permanent viewpoint, as I get you aren't the only one, then that's not something I can change with more words.

The Courier

Lord of Altera
If that's your permanent viewpoint, as I get you aren't the only one, then that's not something I can change with more words.
Getting something done is all I want. I don't need words, I need actions. There's been a lot of the former and none of the latter.

Scardrac

Felsummer
Just read your previously post. "Substantial Military", and I say this in noble terms- as players can very well make a bandit organization or barbarian clan to do the same, would be a decent handful of characters part of the organization. I'm not saying someone needs to recruit 30+ players, even if it's doable, but if you want to establish an empire or takeover, you need some backing to it along with agreement oocly from two parties that goes along with the claim you want to uphold. Want to take over a small village? You don't need more than 3-5 players if the villager owner consents an attempt (emphasis- this part goes first). This includes some funding and the tools or wits to go about it. Rome wasn't built in a day, and I use the ancient term lightly for those who're troubled by consent not being a thing in medieval times. We're a sandbox, multiplayer server with a medieval/fantasy theme. If you want conflict, communicate that with folks in a manner where you don't steamroll them oocly.

Yes, I did read your responses and I'm aware that not all the regions are listed with a marker. But I feel this thread would have gone a lot better if there was some effort into finding and contacting folks around the region. There's a fort right below Motte_Farne, for example, and it looks like they weren't aware this was happening judging from overlord's reply post.

Thank you for addressing my question. Would the scale of the military force have to be equal to the size of the claim/invasion?

Megadonkey30

Lord of Altera
MD30
MD30
I just have to say, it was slightly entertaining reading this thread and all it's posts.

In the end this is now I understand it. Cap is wanting Roleplay, people are telling him no.

This could be the start of amazing RP if you guys are up for it and willing to have a good time!

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
Getting something done is all I want. I don't need words, I need actions. There's been a lot of the former and none of the latter.
'Show not tell' is what we're trying to keep to.

Thank you for addressing my question. Would the scale of the military force have to be equal to the size of the claim/invasion?
If you find a region that has 10 active players and you want to take them over in a bandit raid with 3 people that have mundane weapons with them- if you have their consent, go for it. The scale is in place if someone attempts to take something that they cannot feasibly backup oocly or in rp. No insta-navy forces or siege weaponry if you don't have anyplace they live in or have built.

Scardrac

Felsummer
'Show not tell' is what we're trying to keep to.

If you find a region that has 10 active players and you want to take them over in a bandit raid with 3 people that have mundane weapons with them- if you have their consent, go for it. The scale is in place if someone attempts to take something that they cannot feasibly backup oocly or in rp. No insta-navy forces or siege weaponry if you don't have anyplace they live in or have built.
Is this promoting combat roleplay, or does it follow a premise of "If you can, go for it, and we can discuss losses and gains and outcomes through OOC negotiation"?

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
Is this promoting combat roleplay, or does it follow a premise of "If you can, go for it, and we can discuss losses and gains and outcomes through OOC negotiation"?
It depends on what the two parties are comfortable with. Will it be an event that involves combat roleplay with lots of action? Or a glossover event "Risk" conquest style where you discuss it over a map- oocly? So far, it's been choice of playstyle, so long as it's established in RP- as we've had land claims like this before. The general consensus has been to establish things in roleplay if there is conflict, which should be with OOC contacting folks before hand. Any deeper discussion on this falls into War Rule discussions that are still being wrapped up, even within the player base discussions- because everyone has a different style and we're trying to keep it easy to understand.

We can discuss more in a convo, though- may be going on a tangent/derail

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I'd honestly offer you guys my writeup of war rules that I was literally not allowed to publish, but it honestly won't serve any purpose, as they were written for, ultimately, a different server than the one here now.

Scardrac

Felsummer
I'd honestly offer you guys my writeup of war rules that I was literally not allowed to publish, but it honestly won't serve any purpose, as they were written for, ultimately, a different server than the one here now.
Then please, offer your input on specific issues, if you would? I think dropping your war rules format would result in an entirely different discussion on it. It would be nice if you gave advice/references to what did/didn't work in your war rules draft as issues arise. I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Subsequent Comments:

Niah , I'm very surprised and disappointed in how you reacted on this thread. I thought that was uncharacteristic of you.

Solus: What you've written has essentially alienated appx ~25-50% the population on the server. I feel like if this is the route you are walking down, you should double-down and simply block PvP completely and commit to PvE only.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Then please, offer your input on specific issues, if you would? I think dropping your war rules format would result in an entirely different discussion on it. It would be nice if you gave advice/references to what did/didn't work in your war rules draft as issues arise. I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.
I initially wrote my war rules waay back during the time frame where we had multiple houses vying for supremacy in different aspects, and my war rules had no dancing around consent - they existed as a structure people could use to ensure their warring, logistics, and the like had rules. In order to take a region you needed to commit it's value in a war chest - half paid at the start of the war automatically. If you won and were looking to conquer, the other half would be paid to the owners and then you would have ownership transferred. If you lost, you lost the 50% commitment in the war chest. It essentially made war somewhat of a gamble.

I just don't think what I prepared so long back has any relevance to how the server conducts itself now.

Heie

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
Taking out the issue of consent, I think the biggest problem at the moment is that there is no opposing force. There is no Anti-Anhald coalition or even another nation that i'm aware of with a standing force to oppose them. The only other group i'm aware of that even trains fighters is perhaps Cymics band. I could be wrong but i feel that the smaller regions in the area see no practical way to oppose Anhald. They might see the statement as hey i am claiming this area for Anhald, take it up with me IC, not that its going to do you much good if you say no to it.

Now this isn't necesarily the case. As cap has said he has no standing force to implement this claim. I think people just fear Anhald for the force it use to be, and could be in short notice if say someone decided to oppose them. I personally feel that allot of the issues would go away if one or two other people could create opposing factions to fight among themselves along with Anhald. This would give the people who want to war the ability without all the salt that comes with war.

While i'm not particularly fond of Cap's character or Nation, from what i can see he just wants something to do IC, so he stirred up some political rp with a declaration. To be honest its exactly the type of thing i would expect from Anhalds ruler. He has only made an IC statement and there is nothing particularly wrong with that. I thing people have blown this way out of proportion from what this is and that everyone should take a step back and see where the RP goes before making judgement's.

Electric

professionally deranged
Retired Staff
electricwisekid
electricwisekid
Legend
Subsequent Comments:

Niah , I'm very surprised and disappointed in how you reacted on this thread. I thought that was uncharacteristic of you.

Solus: What you've written has essentially alienated appx ~25-50% the population on the server. I feel like if this is the route you are walking down, you should double-down and simply block PvP completely and commit to PvE only.
I don't think you should be calling out people in this way. Take it to a convo.

Scardrac

Felsummer
I initially wrote my war rules waay back during the time frame where we had multiple houses vying for supremacy in different aspects, and my war rules had no dancing around consent - they existed as a structure people could use to ensure their warring, logistics, and the like had rules. In order to take a region you needed to commit it's value in a war chest - half paid at the start of the war automatically. If you won and were looking to conquer, the other half would be paid to the owners and then you would have ownership transferred. If you lost, you lost the 50% commitment in the war chest. It essentially made war somewhat of a gamble.

I just don't think what I prepared so long back has any relevance to how the server conducts itself now.
So the monetary value of a region was the deciding factor of how desperate they wanted to go to war? I'm curios as to how wartime was conducted. Mind summarizing?

Scardrac

Felsummer
I think it's fair game. It's not bullying and nobody can deny that Niah and Solus were two individuals with strong opinions now embedded into this thread, everyone should be able to respond how they'd like so long as it isn't a personal attack. He essentially said he was surprised, Niah often displays her emotions and ideas nice and fairly. Not to say she didn't, and I'm certainly not responding in naelwyns stead.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
...Whaaaat?

If you think the contents of THAT post shouldn't be pubic, and that is a prevailing view, this place is well and truly, absolutely and completely, lost.

Electric

professionally deranged
Retired Staff
electricwisekid
electricwisekid
Legend
...Whaaaat?

If you think the contents of THAT post shouldn't be pubic, and that is a prevailing view, this place is well and truly, absolutely and completely, lost.
I think it's fair game. It's not bullying and nobody can deny that Niah and Solus were two individuals with strong opinions now embedded into this thread, everyone should be able to respond how they'd like so long as it isn't a personal attack. He essentially said he was surprised, Niah often displays her emotions and ideas nice and fairly. Not to say she didn't, and I'm certainly not responding in naelwyns stead.
*Shrug*
That's just my opinion.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
I was calling out people before Naelwyn was, and he's right. I handled it poorly. I may still disagree with the situation for all the reasons I listed, but the way I went about it was piss poor because I was riled up.

Scardrac

Felsummer
I was calling out people before Naelwyn was, and he's right. I handled it poorly. I may still disagree with the situation for all the reasons I listed, but the way I went about it was piss poor because I was riled up.
It's a weird time for hollowworld right now. Don't feel too bad. We're all gonna get through this.