Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Saddest Mission in Gaming History

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
I do not mean sad-hilarious... I mean tragically tragic-sad...

You might be bored for the first part of it, so if you want, just skip to 2:10. Then you can watch the actual mission.

In summary, your squadron is called to do a ceremonial fly-over at the stadium in November City for the Vice President's speech to rally the citizens for the war effort. After his speech begins, however, he does not get the desired reaction (the song they begin singing is an anti-war song). Then, somehow, enemy fighters appear. Your squadron is alone, due to the nearest airports being some distance away, and amidst the combat, something completely unexpected - and quite tragic - happens... Don't stop after that happens, though. Keep watching. Stop once it gets to the debriefing, that's just boring again xD.

Just watch the video.

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
Red Dead Redemption is sad the entire time. This, though, this is actually tragic.

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
No, it's not my video. I don't make videos.

Edit: That guy is really good, but I always play with HUD or cockpit view. It feels more realistic.

Valcust

Lord of Altera
Saddest yet most admirable mission: Lone wolf - Halo: Reach.

As you see the last bastien of hope for humanity's survival travel to distances unknown, your eyes scour the burnt and glassed planet you once called home.
You've seen your closest friends give their lives for nothing more than a mission.
And though you know within yourself that this is where you fall, you will not go into the darkness with silence.
As ammunition becomes fleeting, you turn to the lifeless bodies of what used to be your comrades, your brothers and sisters in arms, fellow spartans. Yet fear is no where to be found.
Slowly but surely, your armor gives in, cracking and shattering with the impact of every plasma blast.
And with your last breath, you know that you've given your all not for a country, nor any creed or party, but for your very species.

I honestly don't think the games do the implications of such a noble act enough justice.

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
That's a completely different situation. You're fighting for your own life, there is nobody you are talking to - nobody whose last breaths you hear as they die, nobody telling you what is happening when they realize they can't escape.

Edit: Also, when you're fighting for your own life, you'd be scared, not sad, even if you knew you'd die... At least I wouldn't be sad... I'd be so scared I'd be fighting with all my strength to survive, not overwhelmed with grief that I wouldn't survive.

In this mission, though, what was supposed to be a rally for the war effort turned into a peace protest, and eventually a raid of the city. What's more, one of your closest allies - one of your own squadron members, whom has made it through battle after battle by your side, even when another squadron member was nearly lost - is hit badly, with the circuitry damaged to the point of being able to neither eject nor blow the canopy, and crashes, right in the middle of the anti-war stadium. And after this, you see the impact it has on your own squadron members, seeing them have to keep fighting when their closest friend just died in action - they become as bloodthirsty for vengeance as the enemies and the allies. What's more, it's honestly hard to listen because it is so drawn out, as he struggles to bail out, and eventually realizes he can't, and you hear his last breath as he crashes.

In this mission, you see what it is like in real war, today, with realistic weapons, with other humans as the enemy - not aliens that want to kill you simply because your race is screwing with their religion - when one of your friends gets killed in combat alongside you, and you must keep fighting. You see the impact it has on your other fellow soldiers.

Valcust

Lord of Altera
Admittedly, halo does not do the story of the halo universe any good.
But in searching beyond the surface, you can see that Noble 6 was not sad in his last moments, he simply wanted his enemy to feel as much pain as possible before giving into his own demise.
It was a bout of strength, and an act of hope, that someday all of 6's actions would've mattered.
And all throughout Halo: Reach spartans fall. Yet they do not hold that in grief.
This is something I've always loved about the spartans, they've moved beyond being "just" soldiers. They are full blooded warriors, for that is all they know. Yes, it is a sad day when a Spartan will be left MIA, yet others carry on, knowing that their fallen friend had died doing what he was made to do.
There is only the next mission, only the next battle. And even in death, spartans give their all.

and the entire storyline of Halo goes deeper than "messing with alien religion", as I said before, the games do not do the story justice.

Valcust

Lord of Altera
And if you're talking about that kind of sad, then just look at any of the Call of Duty games. Everyone dies >.>

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
Call of Duty is weak. It has no plot and makes the violence seem fun.

And again, Lone Wolves isn't the same kind of sad, therefore it is difficult to compare. Plus, the fact that the Spartans feel no emotion for the loss of each other only makes it less sad, since you don't see the reaction that a normal human soldier would have to seeing one of his friends die in the battle.

Valcust

Lord of Altera
Oh no, they care, they simply show it in a different way.
though it doesn't help that Sierra-117 (John, Master Chief) took down an entire zealot drove with his bare hands when they killed his would-be "girlfriend".
They do care, and they are sad, but as a warrior, they must continue on.
Take, for example, George's death in Halo: Reach. He knew what he had to do to protect his homeland, and he even threw you off of the ship to keep you from stopping him.
Death on the battlefield is honorable, and is respected rather than grieved.
it's something most modern western civilizations see as taboo, but such a mindset goes back a long ways within civilizations that've been war-like, such as the Spartans or Aztec :3

Valcust

Lord of Altera
Though I'm not here to start a flame war, both aspects are sad, but I suppose Halo requires a little different mindset to understand the admiration most give to the Spartans >.>

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
The argument is of what the saddest mission is... not the most noble warriors...

Edit: It's also not over the most admired soldiers...

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
Besides, how is it an honourable death to - being a mind-wiped warrior whose only goal is to kill the enemy as much as possible - be killed by just as ruthless of an enemy? No death caused by another human is honorable, because it is life taken away before it was meant to be. The only honorable death is one caused naturally, because that is when you have lived the life you were made to live, and when your time on Earth - or Reach - is truly meant to end.

mistaahh

Lord of Altera
shepard, the final effort against the reapers(good choice) wiped them out forever, for all of the universe he sacrificed

Backstay

Lord of Altera
The ending of Red Dead Redemption quite literally made me cry. After following Marstom throughout the whole game, he ends up being raped by bullets...

Spark

Broken
A I the only one who likes the CoD MW storyline? ._. Heh haters gonna hate. I though Soap dying was pretty sad and the ending to MW3 was awesome....

Backstay

Lord of Altera
Another sad mission must be the mission in Battlefield 3 where a house fell on you, and you wake up alone, and everything is destroyed. Last mission in BF3 is a bit sad as well.