Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Saddest Mission in Gaming History

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
Call of Duty is weak. It has no plot and makes the violence seem fun.

And again, Lone Wolves isn't the same kind of sad, therefore it is difficult to compare. Plus, the fact that the Spartans feel no emotion for the loss of each other only makes it less sad, since you don't see the reaction that a normal human soldier would have to seeing one of his friends die in the battle.
Wrong. Have you read any of the books or the back stories?

Spark

Broken
godfather1 said:
Call of Duty is weak. It has no plot and makes the violence seem fun.
godfather1 said:
Also, about CoD... They were good up to World At War, then once it got to MW it was just the same thing repeated over and over with some variations in the plot.
1. Thats your opinion and I accept that. But its wrong :I

2. The storyline has twists, betrayal, happiness, sadness, anger, joy, relief. Everything a good story needs.

3. Saying that it makes violence seem fun is stupid. So does every other combat based game. Even Simpsons hit and run makes violence seem fun! Saying CoD does it so its a bad game is just a terrible hater comment.

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
1. Thats your opinion and I accept that. But its wrong :I

2. The storyline has twists, betrayal, happiness, sadness, anger, joy, relief. Everything a good story needs.

3. Saying that it makes violence seem fun is stupid. So does every other combat based game. Even Simpsons hit and run makes violence seem fun! Saying CoD does it so its a bad game is just a terrible hater comment.
Yes, but in Simpsons hit-and-run it is comical violence, not war violence. In other war games, it at least doesn't treat the violence lightly. And it's not a hater comment to say it makes violence seem fun. No need to get harsh...

Also, it may have what a good storyline needs, but does it actually use it in an original, non-cliche way in each and every game? Nope.

Also, that's just stupid to say someone else's opinion is wrong. Opinion cannot be proven right or wrong.

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
Wrong. Have you read any of the books or the back stories?
Let me re-word that... they feel emotion for each other's death, but they don't show it like a normal human does. They pay them honor, then keep fighting. If it's a real human with real emotions that aren't genetically engineered, then they will actually grieve the loss of their close friends in combat, although they may still keep fighting, or they may cower by their dead body while their fellow soldiers rain fire on the enemy.

Valcust

Lord of Altera
As I said, it's the warrior's mindset that's something not so accurately put into words.
They do show their grief, albiet in a subtle way.
and it's not because they're "genetically modified", actually the Spartan's genetics are left alone, they're just physically augmented through muscle graphs, bone graphs, neural stimulation, and capillary augmentation within the eyes.
It's a mixture of the training they've been through and their years of field experience. Any member of a real-life military can agree that a fallen friend is no call for a person to lose track of their emotions. You pay respects later, and their memory may plague you for years afterwords. But in that moment on the field, there is still a battle to be fought, and you can't afford to be distracted for even a second.
I've only seen one instance in which a soldier has completely broke down because of a fallen friend, but that was a single emotional man amongst a silent group of soldiers, each of which knowing the pain the man was feeling, but remaining calm in the face of danger.

And, honestly, in that respects a true soldier or warrior is not a "normal" human being. For they've experienced horrors that no "normal" person can, and their psyches and emotions suffer because of it.

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
O.O Wow, do you know someone who's in the military or something?

You've really got me there...

Also, there's not really such thing - in terms of emotion - as a normal human. Everybody is different emotionally. Some people just have an emotion set that suits them to handle the horrors of war better than others.

Anyways, I'm not dissing Halo here. Believe me, I love Halo. I think it's an incredible series with a great storyline and great gameplay. I just think it can't tap into your emotional vein as well as some modern-warfare games (not CoD:MW, just games involving warfare in modern-era).

Valcust

Lord of Altera
I completely agree that the Halo games don't do the storyline justice, but I was only saying that the implications of such a noble act are something admirable to a melancholy extent :3

And yes, my whole family history has been based in the military or war somehow. I've got a lieutenant Dan thing going on >.>

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
And yes, my whole family history has been based in the military or war somehow. I've got a lieutenant Dan thing going on >.>
Oh, wow... Someone remind me not go get into a debate over war with this guy again. I give up.:confused:

Camicaxe

Lord of Altera
Saddest mission in gaming history...

Evil ending in Infamous 2... :(
Not giving spoilers, they might ruin someone's gameplay.

RoeWolf

Loyal Servant of Altera
Ok, so I haven't played any of these other games, so I can only speak about the Ace Combat series (I also have no inention about argueing the best/worst deaths, I only wish to speak my part on the title of the thread).

Chopper's death was incredibly emotional to me. I remember thinking "They're not going to kill him. They CAN'T kill Chopper. He's... Chopper. He's the comic relief. They wouldn't kill the comic relief."
I give props to the game designers and story writers for how sad they could make a character's death where you don't even see their face (or was there a profile pic earlier in the game? eh). I was 17 when I played the game. Back then the emotion was in the character's actual death significance to the plot line (then he got replaced with that Archer guy and I was all like "who are you? Get out. You can't take Chopper's place.").
His death was such a turning point, too. They not only killed Chopper, but they killed the comic relief, and in doing that, killed the humor in the game. Everything became much more serious after his death. It was well-placed within the storyline, and really gave to the plot.

That's it! :D That's all I want to say!

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
I personally think CoD is pretty good, but not fantastic.

Saddest mission in gaming history? The ending of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2, the closest i've ever come to crying at any sort of story (next best was Marley and Me, the book not the film, I read it before it was cool). PMD's music has always been exceptional at playing with emotions and it hits you with an absolute bomb here. Losing Grovyle was bad, but after beating Dialga, you start to disappear, the sad music starts, your partner notices, gets upset, and the last thing your partner sees is you vanishing, before collapsing to the floor in agonising greif.

I know there are Pokemon haters out there, I hope they are open enough to actually watch the videos before commenting.

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
Thank you Itzza for reminding me of the one game that has made me come close to crying... the way they developed the relationship was so skillful...

Valcust

Lord of Altera
Anyone remember when ash had to let go of butterfree?
I know it wasn't in the game, but holy salamander-cuttlefish, that got me right in the feels back in the day.
tumblr_lponrm8qvm1qew3w6.gif

Tori689

Lord of Altera
Even though I can't possibly relate to this in anyway yet (And I hope I never have to), it does make me sad knowing that these types of things happen in reality.

Ranruk

Lord of Altera
I personally think CoD is pretty good, but not fantastic.

Saddest mission in gaming history? The ending of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2, the closest i've ever come to crying at any sort of story (next best was Marley and Me, the book not the film, I read it before it was cool). PMD's music has always been exceptional at playing with emotions and it hits you with an absolute bomb here. Losing Grovyle was bad, but after beating Dialga, you start to disappear, the sad music starts, your partner notices, gets upset, and the last thing your partner sees is you vanishing, before collapsing to the floor in agonising greif.

I know there are Pokemon haters out there, I hope they are open enough to actually watch the videos before commenting.
I agree 100 percent. My partner's crying gets to me every time. Those games were amazing, and pretty much every storyline made me shed manly tears of manliness. I find it weird how all of the main characters in the game were some of my favorite pokémon to begin with... particularly grovyle and dusknoir. The special mission with the two in Exploer's of Sky was awesome.

.....I'm gonna go cry now and play the whole game through again...

Tori689

Lord of Altera

I actually thought that the ending was cute... But I guess I just thought that everything in that game was cute. :I

wark

Legend of Altera
Note: Please, please, please, do not watch if you do not want spoilers for this game.

Other than that, this is definitely the saddest moment I've found in a game... When I was playing, I took about 10 minutes deciding what to do, and when I made my choice, I was simply shocked. This may not seem too bad to those who have not played the game, nor the series for that matter, but to those who love the trilogy, and the characters, this is one of the saddest and surprising things that happened, at least for me. Especially when I realized that if you had all the requirements, you could save both.

Ranruk

Lord of Altera
Note: Please, please, please, do not watch if you do not want spoilers for this game.

Other than that, this is definitely the saddest moment I've found in a game... When I was playing, I took about 10 minutes deciding what to do, and when I made my choice, I was simply shocked. This may not seem too bad to those who have not played the game, nor the series for that matter, but to those who love the trilogy, and the characters, this is one of the saddest and surprising things that happened, at least for me. Especially when I realized that if you had all the requirements, you could save both.

Not really that sad for me. I had no qualms about killing her off, though Not-Legion's death shook me a little. It was Mordin's that really got to me. In the first game's final mission on Virmire, I tried reasoning with Wrex instead of being aggressive. Needless to say, I did everything within my power to make sure Ashley died on the suicide mission...