Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Thinking... too modern?

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
The title, and this entire thread may seem rather stupid for some. I totally agree that it may seem stupid, but there's a shell that needs to be cracked, don't you agree?
Basically, people's ways of thinking are a tad too... modern? As it stands, biggest issue with political or religious RPs is that people are overthinking their character.
No, it'd be very rare for your character to be an atheist (and if he was, he'd be fully aware that he's committing heresy), and yes, most normal people would follow the Gods, not contradict them.
People would in theory be indoctrinated from the very start about the Gods and their decision on the Kings. Even assassins would most likely feel bad if they had to kill the King.
Another point of notice is violence. If you grew up in a world where people kill each other on every doorstep, you wouldn't much care about violence. Modern morals shouldn't really exist that much. You shouldn't care about killing, since you grew up around it.
That, of course, changes slightly. This is the overview, and a rant I felt I had to have... >_>

Arken

is Barken
ArkenGuard
ArkenGuard
Good
I completely agree. It is kind of unrealistic how some people openly commit crimes without any thought. Despite our wishes, Medieval ages were dark, but not all about murder.

Erlewis

Lord of Altera
Of course, the way I like to view it, is that Altera, being completely separate from Earth, has over time developed into it's own system where things don't function the way they do in Earth's history. I feel that this makes it more realistic in general.

Tomahawk777

King's Hand
I plan to post a thread/tutorial "How to behave against Royal things".
Because, if we catch up two guys on Draco's throne, they HAD a life.
And if you commit a crime, to have a great court RP, you are wrong.
In most of these crimes, I will walk to the cell and say the guard "Bring me their heads" or "Let them pay some money".

Tomahawk777

King's Hand
Of course, the way I like to view it, is that Altera, being completely separate from Earth, has over time developed into it's own system where things don't function the way they do in Earth's history. I feel that this makes it more realistic in general.
But still we are a medieval RP server. So you should ask yourself sometimes "What would my actions lead to in real european medieval".

JDMcNugget

Lord of Altera
So, this is more of a statement of your opinion. Correct?

I don't agree with any of your religious points. I noticed this with the whole "Inquisition" and this cements my thoughts. You seem to be talking as if Altera is a variant of Medieval Europe, where God, or in this case Gods, are heavily worshiped and questioning that is heresy. If that is correct, I don't see why Altera should follow in those footsteps. This is a unique fantasy universe and it is how we make it.

Violence wise, I think all that should go without saying. If you're raised in a violent atmosphere, you would most likely be a violent, rough person. Anyone who doesn't follow that either lacks common sense or has a good reason why their character isn't like that.

That's my two cents.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Yes, but note that there shouldn't be any point in religion if there are people who's characters think just like that. Why bother wasting, because it's no longer spending but wasting, time on making up an entire lore about religion if people don't want to follow it because of their RL ideals. This is a fantasy server, but you wouldn't go up to the king, even in a fantasy world, and spit on him, would you?
And in Altera, despite average intelligence level being just like modern, or at least so it seems, people would still be strongly indoctrinated from childhood about religion.
As I said, Atheism isn't a thing that wouldn't exist, but what would certainly not exist is thinking outside the box on such a huuuge scale.

And I was talking about religion because that's the thing I'm experienced with and have RP character dedicated to, so I'm not entirely sure about other stories as far as modern thinking goes.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Considering Harateth occasionally comes and chills in the bar, "Atheism" reads more like "Delusional" anyhow.

W

wakerman4

I agree Polo.
Erm, I won't go into details...normally I am the start of many /re-rails.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Remember some key differences, sociologically, between Alteran society and normal medieval life.

A) Every so often, the entire population needs to pack their things and leave, literally fighting for the chance to evacuate and bail to somewhere else.

B) People can come back to life.

Combine the two and you'll see a lot more recklessness, bravado, and willingness to fight than you otherwise would.

Spark

Broken
I totally agree Polo.
You could say that acting against what Polo said would make it more realistic because it isn't earth is a bit... Lets just say I disagree.... So many things in RP are the same as RL earth that it has to have a lot of the same things. It is a medieval server. That means it is based on RL earth Medieval times, not a made up one...because that wouldn't be medieval. The fantasy aspect is less of the general theme and more of the things that happen or that exist. For example magic, races, monsters, etc.

I think it would make it more realistic if the general view of the King was similar to real life. I personally can't stand the PM. But I wouldn't day insult him to his face or attempt to do him any harm. 1. Because of fear and 2. For general respect for the leader of the country I live in.

I think in a realistic perspective even the losing side, the side most negatively affected by the Game of Crowns would have a lot of respect for the King, because he has won and is somewhat a hero.

Realism is what makes it closer to what we feel is reality and not how close we can make it to a fantasy world.

Just my opinion.

Frankieba5

Lord of Altera
As I said, Atheism isn't a thing that wouldn't exist, but what would certainly not exist is thinking outside the box on
I agree. Theoretically there could be a character who has gone through such hardship, such agony, that he lost faith. BUT he wouldn't deny the very existence of the gods, he just wouldn't worship them, maybe even defy them

NiNi

MooCat
It is a very good point polo. And i cant help but agree with... well it.

My character hates violence, because her past was very much without it, but her morals are changing to be more aggressive and careless about them the longer she hangs around such events. As far as religion, She's the religious leader of the Syrien, although i really should incorporate that more into my RP.

There is Far too much modern unfortunatley... I'm even starting to attack my own builds for looking too modern now too.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
*Has a functioning modern kitchen and bathroom designed with Redpower2 for building in FTB when he has the resources*

Why I have built a kitchen and bathroom of all places, I have no idea, but I built them nonetheless.

Frankieba5

Lord of Altera
I know what could help this whole situation. We force everybody on this server to listen to this song for 10 hours straight.

NiNi

MooCat
I know what could help this whole situation. We force everybody on this server to listen to this song for 10 hours straight.
I'm not sure that would help at all sorry...

Maybe we should be nudging people in RP about this. As in sending them PM's along the lines of dont you think thats alittle too modern, or out of era?

I already blow up machinery that shoulden't exist, with the consent of the foolish inventor that is. (jjstarwow)

Sidenote: This song reminds me soooooo much of playing ragdoll blaster... and going to Alton Towers (UK Theme Park).

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Well, you would be an atheist too if your character remembered the day the gods were created.