Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Thinking... too modern?

Yoda

Lord of Altera
I don't think "yeah but my char is a genius innit so he knws all godz dnt exist" can be used as an excuse either.(not saying everyone words it thattaway)
My character is extremely clever, but he still worships the gods without question.

Spark

Broken
But....don't the gods actually exist in Altera? Or are they like real life, unconfirmed..I shall put it...

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Oh the gods exist.
They definitely exist.
Its the god part thats in some ways disputable...

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Nope.
Ive actually already said too much.
Some lore isnt meant to be public knowledge.
Muahhahahha

matyio

The original mute
Just a note, I remember in the old lore that the gods were invented as a way to keep alterans A: in the dark about the true people with power and B: give those who were wanting to worship something, something other than the kings. (This is old stuff, and I had to read between the lines to get some of ,y conclusions. Add that to the fact that I haven't read the old lore in about 10 months and yeah...)

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Another thing which I find inconceivably irritating is when people talk about stuff like "bacteria" or "planets" or say something like "*switches on the light*".

Our characters are supposed to be ignorant. We are supposed to be superstitious and gullible - not magically informed about modern science, technology or ideas.

Even things like hygiene; washing hands and covering your mouth if you cough were not commonly accepted practices until much later. You caught the plague if you had sinned - not hovered a little to close to the sickly old woman at the marketplce the other day. Your cattle died because your neighbour practices witchcraft - not because its feed was rotten. An entire village became a ghost town because of an ancient curse - not because the water source had been contaminated.

And in social situations - members of a lower caste in society might be shunned, scorned or simply ignored by their "superiors". Gender and race equality were almost literally unheard of - and the idea of human rights was deemed ridiculous.

The medieval times were not particularly pleasant, naturally, but that doesn't mean we have to clutter them with modern notions and ideals.

/rant over

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Gender and race equality were almost literally unheard of - and the idea of human rights was deemed ridiculous.
This. So much this.
For example, most people really ought to be shunning syrie and be at the very least wary of nakat, and be totally hostile towards greylings and dreadfully afraid of most earthspawn and all demons.
Furhtermore, people ought to stop being accepting of Dark Bloods. I swear if I see another random bystander try to prevent Legion from carrying out his duty on a Dark Blood, Im simply going to kill both.

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
This. So much this.
For example, most people really ought to be shunning syrie and be at the very least wary of nakat, and be totally hostile towards greylings and dreadfully afraid of most earthspawn and all demons.
Furhtermore, people ought to stop being accepting of Dark Bloods. I swear if I see another random bystander try to prevent Legion from carrying out his duty on a Dark Blood, Im simply going to kill both.
YES. Exactly.
We have too many half-friendly monsters and accepting characters.
Like you say - you don't have to go completely mad and kill every single "denizen" that you see, but at the very least be evasive, uncomfortable, wary or afraid.
Another thing that irritates me somewhat is the mutual - and seemingly worldwide - acceptance of magic and its users. Magic has the potential to be vastly powerful, incredibly stealthy and - overall - a terrible weapon.
And yet nobody seems to hate or fear mages. They are not persecuted, they are simply there - which makes no logical sense. Surely there would be at least one group or belief that dictates that magic is simply to powerful to allow? Or else too dangerous to trust?
But nope. Everybody continues with the happy pacifism.

Shrimpsy

Lord of Altera
Magic inacceptance needed
The Nakam have that pretty much already, they hate mages, although not because of the danger so much, but because they believe that the magic is pulling on the ancestor's souls, forever making them disappear.

But also otherwise, yes people need to be less accepting. It doesn't seem so likely that a greyling walks into The Merry Mead and doesn't receive much more than a glance.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
The Nakam have that pretty much already, they hate mages, although not because of the danger so much, but because they believe that the magic is pulling on the ancestor's souls, forever making them disappear.

But also otherwise, yes people need to be less accepting. It doesn't seem so likely that a greyling walks into The Merry Mead and doesn't receive much more than a glance.
I knew a certain nakat who was rather romantically involved with a very prominent mage.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
YES. Exactly.
We have too many half-friendly monsters and accepting characters.
Like you say - you don't have to go completely mad and kill every single "denizen" that you see, but at the very least be evasive, uncomfortable, wary or afraid.
Another thing that irritates me somewhat is the mutual - and seemingly worldwide - acceptance of magic and its users. Magic has the potential to be vastly powerful, incredibly stealthy and - overall - a terrible weapon.
And yet nobody seems to hate or fear mages. They are not persecuted, they are simply there - which makes no logical sense. Surely there would be at least one group or belief that dictates that magic is simply to powerful to allow? Or else too dangerous to trust?
But nope. Everybody continues with the happy pacifism.
And it makes it so easy!

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
That's another thing. Exceptions to typical lore.

It's bound to happen - of course it is, and variation is a logical ineveitability in any and every species and culture - but when every other dwarf is married to an elf, half the mages on the server are mates with at least one nakat, bandits are buddies with righteous knights, and syrien are having civilised chats with the legged... It gets a wee bit dull.