Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

What Altera Really Needs

WHO'S READY TO BRING THE LAW TO ALTERA

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaby

Lord of Altera

not like, "oh the word of the king is law,"

not individual petty house laws,

not a bunch of powerful men making things up as they go along, and all of us assuming xyz is a crime.

an actual book of secular law. actual law people. actual. bloody trials.
because otherwise, all we're doing is a medieval-flavored wild west.

who's with me? it's time to make/enforce some bloody law in this place!

barristers, legislators, judges, juries, come on, people,
let's get some medieval law up in here!

Rue

Lord of Altera
Mystic
PrettyBones
PrettyBones
Mystic

not a bunch of powerful men making things up as they go along, and all of us assuming xyz is a crime.

yes

Rosary_Omen

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Rosary_Omen
Rosary_Omen
Legend
Antilogy has a lawyer alt, but the issue is - people get itchy stabbing hands and would rather kill each other than play judge Judy.

Rue

Lord of Altera
Mystic
PrettyBones
PrettyBones
Mystic
Antilogy has a lawyer alt, but the issue is - people get itchy stabbing hands and would rather kill each other than play judge Judy.
Problem is, I saw someone get incarcerated because of a single witness.
No evidence, no other testimonies, no chance for rebuttal.

And I'm here like 'hmmkden'.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
Would work if something like Port Silver was still around, which actually had a courthouse and city laws.

Might be productive to see which kingdoms / city states actually practice the sort of justice you want to work with.

Rosary_Omen

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Rosary_Omen
Rosary_Omen
Legend
Problem is, I saw someone get incarcerated because of a single witness.
No evidence, no other testimonies, no chance for rebuttal.

And I'm here like 'hmmkden'.
I assume it's because people don't know how trials work, or they don't care.

Would work if something like Port Silver was still around, which actually had a courthouse and city laws.

Might be productive to see which kingdoms / city states actually practice the sort of justice you want to work with.
Doesn't Tambry have a courthouse?

Gaby

Lord of Altera

or, you know,
maybe revive Port Silver's law? I mean, just from the research I'm doing here, a bunch of medieval law was taken from the roman empire that fell, so why not do the same? and if I remember correctly, Port Silver had a bunch of lawmaking.

just because Altera is broken up into different city-states now doesn't mean we can't have an "international" law.
yes, I'm being dead serious about this. if no centralized crown, then a centralized law.

EDIT: a centralized law that is then adopted by a number of big noble houses. thought I should clarify

Rue

Lord of Altera
Mystic
PrettyBones
PrettyBones
Mystic
or, you know,
maybe revive Port Silver's law? I mean, just from the research I'm doing here, a bunch of medieval law was taken from the roman empire that fell, so why not do the same? and if I remember correctly, Port Silver had a bunch of lawmaking.

just because Altera is broken up into different city-states now doesn't mean we can't have an "international" law.
yes, I'm being dead serious about this. if no centralized crown, then a centralized law.

EDIT: a centralized law that is then adopted by a number of big noble houses.
What she said, there should be some sort of ministry of Law that oversees the laws of the towns.

Rosary_Omen

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Rosary_Omen
Rosary_Omen
Legend
or, you know,

EDIT: a centralized law that is then adopted by a number of big noble houses. thought I should clarify
There could be a centralised crown, but that involves people being ballsy enough to sit on the silver throne.

Inb4 most of Altera sets turned to ash by sitting on said throne.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
Possible. Would require someone with the interest in creating an international law to gather the various random independent things together, or at least the major ones that matter in the long run. UN type of deal.

Can't force laws on anyone unless you have the power to enforce consequence.

Rue

Lord of Altera
Mystic
PrettyBones
PrettyBones
Mystic
Possible. Would require someone with the interest in creating an international law to gather the various random independent things together, or at least the major ones that matter in the long run. UN type of deal.

I'm certainly interested in doing that.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
All the people who can enforce the law are folks like Me, Landir, and Elyot, who are the exact type of people that any law you wrote up would hate and want executed, @Gaby. So I'm gonna have to disagree with this. Mostly because it's impossible. The law cannot be enforced without law enforcers.

dogbew

Lord of Altera

That would require a central government, which wouldn't work as it hasn't worked in the past. Besides that, places like Wolfstadt have a vastly different judicial system to a place like Heavens Reach.

Gaby

Lord of Altera

what is this thread for? enforcing DA LAW.
also brb imma make a googledoc testing out central law and whatnot. synthesizing from the laws of the Silver Crown and the noble houses. whoever wants in, PM me, and I'll send the link over.

Rue

Lord of Altera
Mystic
PrettyBones
PrettyBones
Mystic
All the people who can enforce the law are folks like Me, Landir, and Elyot, who are the exact type of people that any law you wrote up would hate and want executed, @Gaby. So I'm gonna have to disagree with this. Mostly because it's impossible. The law cannot be enforced without law enforcers.
Yeah, but, people are being wrongfully incarcerated because of a single witness.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
"International" law requires an international power to enforce said law.

This was why a number of us were upset with the removal of the silver crown. The loss of that central power meant no way to deal with incidents between houses, save for the anarchistic "might makes right," approach.

If you want to see a true international law system, convince house leaders to come together and create a new central authority. Turia is a good start, but certainly not the only way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.