Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

What Altera Really Needs

WHO'S READY TO BRING THE LAW TO ALTERA

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
ignoring the long-winded argument about how pointing to a series that's explicitly about a dysfunctional legal system really doesn't prove your point
how is Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire about a dysfunctional legal system?

it's about a struggle for the throne and the eventual end of the world that no one pays attention to

there's very little legal stuff in it

there's a single trial scene. where people give evidence against someone. and he is convicted. just like you want.

Teeke

Lord of Altera
I am really hopeful at a continent wide psuedo-legal system can be created. It would entice new forms of rp, and new types of characters. I see a lot of fun that could come from this.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
how is Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire about a dysfunctional legal system?

it's about a struggle for the throne and the eventual end of the world that no one pays attention to

there's very little legal stuff in it

there's a single trial scene. where people give evidence against someone. and he is convicted. just like you want.
I don't care, because this thread isn't about Game of Thrones. it's about Hollowworld, which is a medieval rp server, not a Game of Thrones discussion board.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
I am really hopeful at a continent wide psuedo-legal system can be created. It would entice new forms of rp, and new types of characters. I see a lot of fun that could come from this.
I hope so too. I really want the end result of this effort to be an actual IC thing, and not just baseless arguing and a locked thread.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
I don't care, because this thread isn't about Game of Thrones. it's about Hollowworld, which is a medieval rp server, not a Game of Thrones discussion board.
my original point wasn't even about Game of Thrones

it was about lawful evil. Stannis and Tywin are just two lawful evil characters I could think of off the top of my head. and they happened to be from Game of Thrones.

The Courier

Lord of Altera
I like the fact Landir's recognized for having a squad and bringing the law. As for this entire idea to work?

Simply put, no. The differences in laws and beliefs internationally [in Altera] simply are too different from too many areas. Engem believed that Moor Elves should be killed on sight. Lavoyard refuses to introduce Visage and Jishriim worshipping. Marr, after new control ;) , refuses to acknowledge thieves and other law breakers as humans.

dogbew

Lord of Altera
This wouldn't be a bad idea, if it was done through RP means rather than OOC means, as it would be required to take into account the judicial system of every town.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
I like how the people who think this somehow wouldn't work are just going to write off any efforts to make it work, and let Altera live with a legal system that encourages absolute violence and anarchy instead.

like, you people are just giving up? really?

EDIT: I also like how these very people are ignoring the fact that I suggested ways to make it work, to seemingly focus on whether or not some band of armored men who are increasingly becoming unpopular for their "stab everything" solution to problems actually works as a legal system, instead of just being some pseudo-terroristic tyrannical group that's making the world even more anarchistic and violent.

if that even made sense.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
One other small bit:

While I am all for the return of a server-wide governing structure, I'd like to point out that even if/when such a system is created, this does not mean the laws or court will be "fair." There are many characters required for a court system, and it's incredibly likely one or more will be there for evil/selfish/corrupt reasons.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
One other small bit:

While I am all for the return of a server-wide governing structure, I'd like to point out that even if/when such a system is created, this does not mean the laws or court will be "fair." There are many characters required for a court system, and it's incredibly likely one or more will be there for evil/selfish/corrupt reasons.
I'm fine for this! in fact, I'm downright encouraging an imperfect legal system! anything would be better than chaos!

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
I like how the people who think this somehow wouldn't work are just going to write off any efforts to make it work, and let Altera live with a legal system that encourages absolute violence and anarchy instead.

like, you people are just giving up? really?

EDIT: I also like how these very people are ignoring the fact that I suggested ways to make it work, to seemingly focus on whether or not some band of armored men who are increasingly becoming unpopular for their "stab everything" solution to problems actually works as a legal system, instead of just being some pseudo-terroristic tyrannical group that's making the world even more anarchistic and violent.

if that even made sense.
Stab everything is not our approach to legal problems at all. Peter and Elyot went to the Crossroads to arrest Damon - that's why they went with warhammers, not swords - and take him back to Marr for a trial. Ignis intervened because Damon attacked first. Damon attacked first whilst Peter was asking him to surrender without a fight.

I want a legal system. I absolutely want a legal system. The reason I enact cowboy justice is because it's better than chaos and letting criminals go wild. I just think it should be done ICly and not over Google docs or Skype. Which, by the way, is metagaming.

Also, no law system will ever be without unpopular armed men. What are police officers? Unpopular armed men. What are soldiers? You can't have law without violence.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
I'm fine for this! in fact, I'm downright encouraging an imperfect legal system! anything would be better than chaos!
I agree completely. I just wanted to make sure everyone understands that in the end depending on who controls the court, it could be far from a fair system. I think it would encourage some interesting rp, personally.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
I like police officers.
So do I. But there are tons of people who dislike them. You hear "pigs" and "fascists" used to describe cops and soldiers every day. There's songs about murdering police officers and how soldiers deserve what they get in war. For example, the song Cop Killer.

Kyle1322

Lord of Altera
how about, Instead of getting angry why people are saying no on the forums, you try it ingame, yeah? no doubt it will be the same result, but at least you tried.

For some places, I mean.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
I hope so too. I really want the end result of this effort to be an actual IC thing, and not just baseless arguing and a locked thread.
Maybe you should try to contact the leaders of the most powerful houses and see if they would be willing to work with you in order to move closer to creating such a system. I am aware that the different factions have their differences, but perhaps they would be willing to create a limited set of laws that covers things that they all would view as worthy of enforcement?

I think that despite the differences between the larger factions, it might be possible to create and uphold these laws that you have spoken about, but I think you need to get in contact with the leaders of these factions first.

Status
Not open for further replies.