Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

What Altera Really Needs

WHO'S READY TO BRING THE LAW TO ALTERA

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rue

Lord of Altera
Mystic
PrettyBones
PrettyBones
Mystic
Yours was an IC issue. I was complaining about an OOC issue.
What you're giving as an OOC option is biased judgement from a group of armoured people, rather than a real trial, unbiased and fair system.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
All the people who can enforce the law are folks like Me, Landir, and Elyot, who are the exact type of people that any law you wrote up would hate and want executed, @Gaby. So I'm gonna have to disagree with this. Mostly because it's impossible. The law cannot be enforced without law enforcers.
where do I even start?
you're accusing me of being biased against your characters, when all I said was that this server has no IC rules and only functions on cowboy justice.
nothing is stopping you guys from rejecting the law and making your own, if you think anything is unfairly biased against people who murder. you have a castle. you can make your own kingdom where your word is law. chill.

also, what boog said.

and furthermore, I'm taking the issues one step at a time, and currently, my idea is that the majority of noble houses can opt into the law (which will be written based on the commonalities between those laws), creating an international law which is then enforced by the members of said noble houses. essentially, an alliance formed with the intent of a universal law.

If you want to see a true international law system, convince house leaders to come together and create a new central authority. Turia is a good start, but certainly not the only way to do it.
what Pyro said could also work.

Rue

Lord of Altera
Mystic
PrettyBones
PrettyBones
Mystic
.. Which is fine if that's how the independent area's law system works.

IC is IC.
From what I've seen, most of their 'Fair Judgement' is in the Crossroads, and it seems to be more murdering for fun than actually trying to enforce law.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
but people.

let's reel in the discussion a wee bit, and not get the thread locked, ok?

even without the LandirSquad™ and their dramas, the fact is that this is also relevant because our last universal law was the Divine Law, enforced by the gods themselves,
and the gods are leaving. so we still need a universal secular law enforced by some sort of authority.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
This. If there's a problem with legal process in-character, address it in character.
I'm hoping the end result of this thread will be encouraging the in-power noble characters to address this issue IC, and work to create a standardized law.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
but people.

let's reel in the discussion a wee bit, and not get the thread locked, ok?

even without the LandirSquad™ and their dramas, the fact is that this is also relevant because our last universal law was the Divine Law, enforced by the gods themselves,
and the gods are leaving. so we still need a universal secular law enforced by some sort of authority.
Start getting the attention of the major leaders and factions IC and then work together from there, based on who goes for it.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
Cowboy justice /works/. A knight killing a man known to be a murderer is ten times easier and takes a quarter of the time a trial would take. Waiting all the time for all the jury, judges, witnesses, and accused to get on could take weeks. A combat RP take a few hours at most.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
This. If there's a problem with legal process in-character, address it in character.
I'm hoping the end result of this thread will be encouraging the in-power noble characters to address this issue IC, and work to create a standardized law. I would address this IC, but my only noble character is currently inactive, so I'm making a thread to raise awareness.

if... that makes sense.

Start getting the attention of the major leaders and factions IC and then work together from there, based on who goes for it.
I wanna do that! I really do. I just feel like I'll get farther by raising awareness OOC.

Cowboy justice /works/. A knight killing a man known to be a murderer is ten times easier and takes a quarter of the time a trial would take. Waiting all the time for all the jury, judges, witnesses, and accused to get on could take weeks. A combat RP take a few hours at most.
Landir is lawful evil. it says this on his profile. and he's creating more chaos by what he's doing.
try again. I'm really, really sick of arguing this, it's just a massive derail of something I'm trying to do in order to improve the server as a whole.

I mean, even if it worked, what would happen when Landir died? what happens when he's not there?
cowboy justice is just another word for barefaced anarchy, and it sure as heck isn't medieval.

Rue

Lord of Altera
Mystic
PrettyBones
PrettyBones
Mystic
Then what are all these jails for?
Jails are there for a reason, and all they're doing right now is locking people based on flimsy evidence and non-rebuttable-testimony.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
Landir is lawful evil. it says this on his profile. and he's creating more chaos by what he's doing.
try again.
Tywin Lannister is lawful evil.

Stannis Baratheon is lawful evil.

Ignis Synnove is lawful evil.

Some could argue soldiers fighting terrorism and police officers arresting people are lawful evil. The key word is lawful. Lawful evil is using evil (violent, cruel, questionable, etc) means to get lawful and just outcomes.

Try again.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
Then what are all these jails for?
Jails are there for a reason, and all they're doing right now is locking people based on flimsy evidence and non-rebuttable-testimony.
IC is IC.
I wanna do that! I really do. I just feel like I'll get farther by raising awareness OOC.
Good luck to you, then, if you do plan on going through all the in-character motions. I support your idea, but am in no position to aid you since I don't run anything.

Rue

Lord of Altera
Mystic
PrettyBones
PrettyBones
Mystic
Tywin Lannister is lawful evil.

Stannis Baratheon is lawful evil.

Some could argue soldiers fighting terrorism and police officers arresting people are lawful evil. The key word is lawful. Lawful evil is using evil (violent, cruel, questionable, etc) means to get lawful and just outcomes.

Try again.
Ignis Synnove is Lawful Neutral.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
In my experience with trials and centralized law, it's all rather fun to carry out with the witnesses and judging. More time, yes, but I certainly thought it was a good deal of fun to do all those things.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
"International" law requires an international power to enforce said law.

This was why a number of us were upset with the removal of the silver crown. The loss of that central power meant no way to deal with incidents between houses, save for the anarchistic "might makes right," approach.

If you want to see a true international law system, convince house leaders to come together and create a new central authority. Turia is a good start, but certainly not the only way to do it.
Conveys everything I meant to say. If you want international law you either need an international power or an international agreement.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
ignoring the long-winded argument about how pointing to a series that's explicitly about a dysfunctional legal system really doesn't prove your point, and ignoring the other long-winded argument about how making yourselves out to be the justice of the world without any other players agreeing that you should be the justice of the world is kind of really scummy,

I just have to say that Ignis Synnove is Lawful Neutral.
Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 8.47.59 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.