Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

An Interesting Problem

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Naelwyn has indeed done a wonderful job. I'm not denying that. But you know what the only thing that needs to be done in terms of lore?

"Instructed by Shallherana, the sisterhood only resurrects in times of battle against Queen Grief."

Woah! One. Whole. Sentence. That would solve the problem of players not fearing their characters deaths, and thus take the punishments of organizations more seriously. Ergo, they take the orgainzations more seriously. It's one small part in the lore with an easy fix if my suggestion is even implemented.

And honestly, what's so special about some of the little bits of lore? If it's creating loopholes for players by being secret, then isn't that counterproductive?
Posted my response in ahead of your actual post.

Rextoret

Lord of Altera
"Instructed by Shallherana, the sisterhood only resurrects in times of battle against Queen Grief."

Woah! One. Whole. Sentence. That would solve the problem of players not fearing their characters deaths, and thus take the punishments of organizations more seriously. Ergo, they take the orgainzations more seriously. It's one small part in the lore with an easy fix if my suggestion is even implemented.
The perma-death count would be so high that the server would begin to fall apart at the seams.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
The whole issue of allowing any organization power over people's characters is just that. Everyone has some kind of justification.

You willing to have your guard of 5 months offed because the assassin's register a proper hit?

Hell, don't get me started on what has had to be cleaned up in the magic.

So either everybody has this kind of thing, which makes it meaningless, or no group gets to be "Super-ultra-special."

Spark

Broken
Then everything we've said here would be absolutely meaningless.
If Naelwyn's idea is the correct one then this was meaningful because it came to a solution. It's not about getting your own point across but coming to a reasonable conclusion, even if it means the entire discussion was pointless.

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
Then everything we've said here would be absolutely meaningless.
No group gets any help and support from the Server without the other organizations getting the same support. You can make yourself great without a handicap.

Rextoret

Lord of Altera
If Naelwyn's idea is the correct one then this was meaningful because it came to a solution. It's not about getting your own point across but coming to a reasonable conclusion, even if it means the entire discussion was pointless.
I meant that if nothing at all was changed, everything that everyone said would be nullified. I'm all for coming to a reasonable conclusion. But more than that, a well thought out reasonable conclusion.

Spark

Broken
I meant that if nothing at all was changed, everything that everyone said would be nullified. I'm all for coming to a reasonable conclusion. But more than that, a well thought out reasonable conclusion.
If the reasonable conclusion is nothing changes then that's fine.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Everyone has some kind of justification.
I disagree, and point to the 17 pages before this wherein a great majority of the talk was how to determine who has the power in a given location. We didn't come to a final conclusion, but it is obvious that there are groups that hold the power in a location, and that not everyone can claim such power. It would be ignorant for the Pirates to claim supreme rulership over port silver, same as it would be ignorant for the Silvercloaks to claim supreme rulership in the Cove.

Spark

Broken
Correct. But making direct assumptions without proof that keeping it the same would help, no.
Keeping it the same will not help or make it worse. The main issue is people. Which can't be fixed. People can be power hungry and unsporting but that can't ever be changed unless they are banned.

Rextoret

Lord of Altera
Keeping it the same will not help or make it worse. The main issue is people. Which can't be fixed. People can be power hungry and unsporting but that can't ever be changed unless they are banned.
And the more we discuss this topic, the closer we'll get a reasonable conclusion.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Here's the catch.

I've zero issues with people retaining power on their own property, and I don't think anyone would quite contest that.

But I am extremely adverse to opening up the can of worms that is different groups vying for influence over server owned regions.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Here's the catch.

I've zero issues with people retaining power on their own property, and I don't think anyone would quite contest that.

But I am extremely adverse to opening up the can of worms that is different groups vying for influence over server owned regions.
Now we're getting somewhere.

Let's discuss why that is. Now, I think so far we've mainly just discussed giving the power (whatever that may mean) to the guard so they can actually do their job. However, I do think that it would be interesting to have other groups vie for power under the guard. The server at one point wanted Game of Thrones, and so much of that series revolves around the different groups scheming and fighting for power in King's Landing.

Also, what kind of power could you see owners of cities having? I don't think the disrespect of authority is as high in other cities, but I'm sure it still happens from time to time.

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior
Besides Port Silver - ruling that one out based on the principle that it is server owned and should only be controlled by the king - what other server owned region is there to possibly gain influence in? Airdocks don't count as it's just a port of transportation... no groups or anything should get at that. Beyond that, I'm not sure what others are server owned.

Rextoret

Lord of Altera
Besides Port Silver - ruling that one out based on the principle that it is server owned and should only be controlled by the king - what other server owned region is there to possibly gain influence in? Airdocks don't count as it's just a port of transportation... no groups or anything should get at that. Beyond that, I'm not sure what others are server owned.
I suppose we (The server) could build a new city or two for the express purpose of what has been discussed here.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Well, here's what is solidly determined:

City Owners, and those who they appoint, can determine who is allowed within the borders of their city. They can ask people to leave and/or make blanket permissions statements, and if people violate them, they have various abilities to punish individuals, upto and including forcing individuals out or calling staff.

Any Server-owned city, however, especially spawn, cannot obviously have someone completely refuse them access since it would drastically hamper them OOC.
A guard or management could put out want orders, a thieves or assassin's guild could put out a hit.

Ultimately if we were to cede control of Port Silver in a further RP sense we would most certainly have to have a very solid set of rules for it and allow all participants to enter under the same rules.

This functions a bit differently than the GoC since it's terms of Faction and Group influence within the King's city.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Personally, I think Port Silver should just be exempt from it. It'd probably make things easier if we did.
I think it's fairly apparent the complication that would be involved.

Hence:

Either we can:
A) Arrange for a fair method for factions to vie for control of server locations.
B) Make it clear that no organization gets special preference and that people need to learn to either get along and be reasonable, not be jerks, and try and have a better collaborative experience.

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior
I think it's fairly apparent the complication that would be involved.

Hence:

Either we can:
A) Arrange for a fair method for factions to vie for control of server locations.
B) Make it clear that no organization gets special preference and that people need to learn to either get along and be reasonable, not be jerks, and try and have a better collaborative experience.
let's go with A) because in all seriousness, B) won't happen which is why this thread was created in the first place xP