Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

An Interesting Problem

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior
We don't want to take characters out of the game every time they die. I know it'd annoy me if I couldn't rp as my char for a few days (even though I have alts.) however, I can see the advantages to doing so... It's annoying for the player, so they will stay out of trouble.
But there's nothing really to keep the players from ignoring the condition.

I have to agree, this two weeks of rp missing when in actuality no time has passed really doesn't hurt the player in any way. When you responded I had assumed the things I were proposing was already in your post.

So... back to that then. What does the community think about possibly implementing some sort of mechanism to death so that people are actually worried about dieing, as they should be?
Honestly, I think the only thing that would get the attention of players is permanent death. I know it's not a popular choice, but hear me out...

- The main issue -
Players ignoring and discrediting major groups and organizations based on the fact that there is no real consequence for going against them. To fix this? Allow the organizations to exact their punishments. For example: the Silvercloaks catch a character breaking the laws they've set down in Port Silver... the captive is given a choice (in RP): Prison, or death. If the captive chooses prison, then the sentence is measured in RL days. If death is chosen, then the captive will swiftly be put to death and the character can NOT revive like they were once able to.

- Resulting issue -
"If we can't be revived, then what about the Sisterhood?" Well the sisterhood should realize the sanctity of the natural way of life and death, seeing as they're blessed by the goddess of nature. Resurrecting characters right and left, as they do now, severely breaks that natural circle. So I propose that the sisterhood be limited in their resurrections to SOLELY reviving characters during battles against Queen Grief. This would not include the Black Moon event as that would essentially render this suggestion null.

Thoughts? Feedback? Yes? No? Maybe?

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Then you'll just have the same problem players OPing to get out of death rather than respecting your org.

It's not the system, it's the individual.

Time spent resurrecting is more for the actual good rplayers moreso than being intended as a deterrent.

In all cases being a berk is still being a berk.

All of this RP is essentially collaborative storytelling, and the individual who god modes in a PbP or in a game is the same regardless of ruleset.

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior
Then you'll just have the same problem players OPing to get out of death rather than respecting your org.
Then players will be warned for it and banned if they persist. The deterrent for the issue of organizations gaining the respect they deserve is permanent character death. The deterrent for being OP to escape death is staff consequences.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I don't understand why some of our orgs feel the need to have power over other players in excess, especially forcing them to reroll if they're being berks.

Why not, I dunno, cripple them instead?
Perhaps rip off their eyelids?

There are so many things you can do besides killing that resurrection really shouldn't be an issue for enforcing your will.

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior
I don't understand why some of our orgs feel the need to have power over other players in excess, especially forcing them to reroll if they're being berks.

There are so many things you can do besides killing that resurrection really shouldn't be an issue for enforcing your will.
But there lies a similar problem you saw: OP.

"I just busted your knee cap! Tha heck you doin' walkin' around like that!?"
"Oh, I healed it. No biggie. I'm an opassassinorphanninjaoutforrevenge, remember?"

Yes, the similar solution is to warn and ban persisting god-modders, but it's easier to control when the character is supposed to be completely dead.

EDIT: on a side note, in medieval times, if one did not go to the dungeons for his/her crimes, then it was death. So it technically works with the time period.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I just don't see the difference or need to rewrite lore and background when the fundamental issue, one with a player, won't change as a result of it.

And this is actually a big change that frankly I don't support.

Rextoret

Lord of Altera

But do, please tell.

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior
Tell me! Tell me! Tell me! Do I have problem? Is my RP doing bad? :D
I think your RPing is lovely, Cubey. Always have. :)

EDIT:
I just don't see the difference or need to rewrite lore and background when the fundamental issue, one with a player, won't change as a result of it.

And this is actually a big change that frankly I don't support.
It's rewriting a small section of the lore that SHOULD'VE been made different a while ago. Shallherana is the goddess of nature, no? And is nature not about the circle of life and death? And is the Sisterhood not blatantly ignoring the principles of their goddess?

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I think your RPing is lovely, Cubey. Always have. :)

EDIT:

It's rewriting a small section of the lore that SHOULD'VE been made different a while ago. Shallherana is the goddess of nature, no? And is nature not about the circle of life and death? And is the Sisterhood not blatantly ignoring the principles of their goddess?
I can assure you the lore is self-consistent.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram

But do, please tell.

Off the top of my head:

The resurrection process restores bodily wounds but does nothing to the mind.

Psychological tortures and mental effects would persist.

A basic possibility would be extended sensory deprivation coupled with coercion techniques followed by execution.

Rextoret

Lord of Altera
Off the top of my head:

The resurrection process restores bodily wounds but does nothing to the mind.

Psychological tortures and mental effects would persist.

A basic possibility would be extended sensory deprivation coupled with coercion techniques followed by execution.
We can't enforce that practically. Players would just say- "He act tough, he no get any bad dreams."