Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

An Interesting Problem

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
I just don't see the difference or need to rewrite lore and background when the fundamental issue, one with a player, won't change as a result of it.

And this is actually a big change that frankly I don't support.
The point is that groups that have a responsibility to keep the peace/protect their turf/ect need a mechanical ability to wield the power they are supposed to have, in order to get players to act more logically around them.

As it is now, people actively challenge authority constantly, because the authority doesn't have any way to actually do anything to players. This is an issue that needs addressing. There have been at least four diferent announcements made in the past few months on how the players should act appropriately to the guard, to demons, to syrien, ect ect ect. These posts have done very little to change what players do. The players who read those posts are also the ones already acting correctly. The bad roleplayers - aka, as spark said, the ones who must win and show everyone how much better they are than everyone else - don't pay attention to polite requests. They need the fear of losing. We are attempting to brainstorm what effects said players would consider as losing, and how to implement them without it being too complicated or overpowering.

making a person that has to win face the possibility of losing will change their behavior. They will avoid the loss, which means they will act more logically when it comes to people of authority.

Now, I agree that perm death and allowing groups with power the ability to kill without consent may be to harsh and/or too powerful. If you also think this way Nael, what would you suggest instead?

-edit, ninja'd, forums move fast these days.

Rextoret

Lord of Altera
They need the fear of losing. We are attempting to brainstorm what effects said players would consider as losing, and how to implement them without it being too complicated or overpowering.
Perhaps a reset of MCmmo skills and a RP loss of age? (Or addition of age?)

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
"Stop expecting everyone you meet on the street to be a good roleplayer and learn to ignore people if you don't want to eventually ban more than half the server."

Alternatively:

"If you witness this kind of thing happening, you've really got two options, either coaching people into a more reasonable roleplay or abandoning having a decent experiance with them."

Rextoret

Lord of Altera
"Stop expecting everyone you meet on the street to be a good roleplayer and learn to ignore people if you don't want to eventually ban more than half the server."
I don't expect 1/20 of the people I meet on the street to be good at roleplaying. And frankly, I'd far prefer to have 5 good roleplayers on the server than 100 bad ones.

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior
How much'ya actually know bout Shalherana and er' sisterhood?
I know they were blessed by Shallherana with the gift of resurrection after the wanton death dealt by Queen Grief over the many years of warfare. I know they were tasked to revive fallen soldiers and send 'em back on the condition that they'll fight against Queen Grief. I know more too, but the rest isn't pertinent to this topic. The thing is that resurrections are being abused because players KNOW their characters can just quickly come back to life at any time. So, during the times that we're not fighting Queen Grief - which is a lot of the time, I must say - the ones who should be keeping the peace or whatever it is their organization does can't do that because they aren't allowed to kill characters.

That good enough for you?

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I know they were blessed by Shallherana with the gift of resurrection after the wanton death dealt by Queen Grief over the many years of warfare. I know they were tasked to revive fallen soldiers and send 'em back on the condition that they'll fight against Queen Grief. I know more too, but the rest isn't pertinent to this topic. The thing is that resurrections are being abused because players KNOW their characters can just quickly come back to life at any time. So, during the times that we're not fighting Queen Grief - which is a lot of the time, I must say - the ones who should be keeping the peace or whatever it is their organization does can't do that because they aren't allowed to kill characters.

That good enough for you?
The items you are missing are what happen to make the lore self-consistent~

Rextoret

Lord of Altera
"If you witness this kind of thing happening, you've really got two options, either coaching people into a more reasonable roleplay or abandoning having a decent experiance with them."
If they are willing to learn, I'll teach them regardless of their skill level. But if they refuse to learn how to RP, they have no place on the server in my mind.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
If all I'm going to get from a reasonable and sincere attempt to assist with an issue that I can agree is happening is grief then frankly I'm of a mind to let you deal with it yourselves.

If you don't trust your loremaster who tells you everything is self-consistent and that you can only find out In Game... well, I can't really say much more to you, now can I?

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior
If all I'm going to get from a reasonable and sincere attempt to assist with an issue that I can agree is happening is grief then frankly I'm of a mind to let you deal with it yourselves.

If you don't trust your loremaster who tells you everything is self-consistent and that you can only find out In Game... well, I can't really say much more to you, now can I?
Because players are abusing it in game!

"Oh, I just got chopped into itty bitty pieces? nbd."
-resurrects character-
"'Ey, I'm back and ready for action! No Queen Grief to fight? Cool beans, I'll go troll!"

Thank you, sisterhood.

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
... I trust Naelwyn. He knows what hes doing, and hes done a good job so far. You don't need to be special and privy to confidential things to just take the Supreme Loremasters' word for it.

If you continue to question the judgement of the guy whos singlehandedly orchestrated some of the best lore and mechanics I've seen, I am going to have some problems.

Rextoret

Lord of Altera
Because players are abusing it in game!

"Oh, I just got chopped into itty bitty pieces? nbd."
-resurrects character-
"'Ey, I'm back and ready for action! No Queen Grief to fight? Cool beans, I'll go troll!"

Thank you, sisterhood.
Even though I want to agree with you, it's the only option we have besides making mods to make Minecraft work differently.

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
Thank you, sisterhood.
This goes both ways.

"Oh, I got slaughtered by a band of 3+ thieves?"
"Good thing theres the Sisterhood~!"

We're working on a solution. Any helpful input is much appreciated, but the negativity will not garner any good attention.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
The whole point of the matter is that by reviving the bandits and the lawbreakers, they stick around and continue to fight the guards.

Making both groups far more experienced at combat and in dealing with threats than they would be in a world at peace.

In a world with no evildoers, the only threat being a distant Grief, it is easy for any force to grow fat and complacent and be completely rolled by the real villains.

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior
Naelwyn has indeed done a wonderful job. I'm not denying that. But you know what the only thing that needs to be done in terms of lore?

"Instructed by Shallherana, the sisterhood only resurrects in times of battle against Queen Grief."

Woah! One. Whole. Sentence. That would solve the problem of players not fearing their characters deaths, and thus take the punishments of organizations more seriously. Ergo, they take the orgainzations more seriously. It's one small part in the lore with an easy fix if my suggestion is even implemented.

And honestly, what's so special about some of the little bits of lore? If it's creating loopholes for players by being secret, then isn't that counterproductive?

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Excuse me.

Everyone, this thread is an exercise in thought over what may be done to help positively affect the issue at hand. We are brainstorming ideas, looking for a possible solution, if any exists. If you would like to help with this effort, feel free to reply, comment on what's been said, bring up something entirely new, or even dissent against any of the lines of thought already mentioned, so long as your input leads to a cooperative and productive discussion. If you are going to reply with something off-topic, then feel free to find a more suitable location, or create a new thread if no such location exists. If you are going to be simply dismissive without explaining or being productive, then I suggest instead simply dismissing yourself from the thread instead.

Some of us would actually like to help improve the server, rather than turn a blind eye to it.