Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Another Art Thread

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Once the Drake was slain Demitrius came up and snatched one of the dragon scales. He plans to turn it into something nice, such as a necklace to wear and remind himself of what fun he had in the old world, where he almost died and was saved by a levy who sacrificed himself for Demi.

Demitrius Amulet.png

The one to the left is the actual scale. You'll note that it's not perfectly even because that's impossible because scales have to attach. Then the centre one s the necklace itself, while the on the far right is also encrusted with a few tiny gems to spice it up a little.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
View attachment 77851

A concept for an Elven plate armour. The main point of note is the helmet, which has cheek pieces that can be raised when aiming a bow. This is actually historically accurate, as some helmets have movable cheek pieces that would allow an archer to aim their bow better while wearing their helmets properly.

MacRoye
._. Someone needs to talk to Roy and Thordil about this... also, I very much like the art you do ^_^

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Let's talk helmets

Helmets.png

Above are eight somewhat major helmet variations throughout the centuries, from around 11th century until 16th century. The thing to note is that quite often these helmets have a lot of variation within them since they were all hand-made, and quite often the helmets could and would be simultaneously seen on the battlefield. For instance, although it's true that the English were a little slower to develop throughout history than the rest of the world when it came to warfare, it was still not uncommon for a wealthy man at arms to own both a Great Bascinet and an Armet. Numbers 1 and 2 would be seen together at times, as well as 5, 6 and 7. 7, in a slightly more advanced fashion, often with a slightly smaller beak, could be seen alongside 8 through 16th century, although this would be a rare occurrence.

1. A Nasal Helmet - these helmets were the bread and butter of warfare for centuries, although this particular variation, known quite often as a Norman helmet, would be most common in 11th and early 12th centuries. It can be differentiated from earlier nasal helmets by the rather tall height, giving room between the head and the steel to absorb some impact.
2. Great Helm 1 - For whatever reason, the development of helmets took a step back in mid to late 12th century with the introduction of the first, very basic great helm. The reason why I say it took a step back is that for one reason or another the tops of helmets became flat for well over a century. This gave a very nice surface for a blunt weapon to bite into and deliver a powerful impact directly to the skull. Despite this the first great helms were also some of the first helmets in the Medieval period to feature full facial protection. The rest of the head would be protected by a mail coif, which was a hood made out of mail.
3. Great Helm 2 - Before I go on I should note that Great Helms such as this but with flat top existed and were even very popular for a while, but I am certain you have the imagination to imagine the great helm with a flat top. If not, Google is your friend. Anyway, these great helms would be some of the first full head helmets to feature rounded surface at the top. On top of this, a knight in this period would often wear a skullcap worn either over or under his coif. This would offer a huge amount of protection. While these helmets were extremely robust and great from a purely defensive standpoint, they would be troublesome as breathing and sight were both important factors that these helmets did not account for. Still, this is an obvious beginning to the later sugarloaf helmet, and the skullcap would over time develop into the bascinet, which is the fourth helmet presented. This helmet would be popular throughout the 13th and early 14th centuries. It later developed into the frogmouth helmet which was popular in jousting.
4. The Bascinet - A lot can be said about the bascinet, as it is one of the more important helmets in history. As said previously, it is a development of the skullcap, which overtime became more conical at the top to offer a better glancing surface against blows. The bascinet would be the helmet worn by the men at arms of both sides at the battle of Agincourt, and was the staple of warfare through mid to late 14th century. While perhaps not as amazingly protective as the great helm, the bascinet offered a detachable visor which could be lifted to allow the user to breathe and see the battlefield when everything seemed safe. You have to understand that you can't live in a Medieval helmet. These things are stuffy and difficult to breathe in after the smallest amount of exertion. Throat protection was provided by a few layers of mail, with a mail aventail, affixed directly to the helmet, which would start just under the user's lips. An important helmet to mention is the Great Bascinet, which came in late 14th and early 15th centuries. It was a bascinet with a very robust steel protection for the throat. While not popular in mainland Europe, English knights who often fought on foot used it rather extensively.
5. The Sallet - The sallet is a very characteristic helmet of the mid 15th century. It's a very universal helmet, often seen with an adjustable bevor to protect the lower parts of the face, which allowed the user to attach both the helmet and the bevor to different degrees allowing greater vision or greater protection. While this helmet may look odd it's one of the most flexible helmets, with contemporary artwork of the time showing them being worn by both the knight class and the common soldier. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that archers wore these helmets, for instance.
6. Armet 1 - The armet can be seen developing more or less alongside the Sallet, though while the sallet grew in northern parts of Europe, the armet became popular in Italian school of armouring, quite famously the Milanese school. It was truly the first helmet which would encapsulate the user's head more closely, going as far as protecting the user's jaw and neck without any additional pieces. This was possible because the armet would open in its entirety, allowing the user to put their head into it, and then would lock on the back of the head via a screw.
I should note here that there is also a helmet called the close helm, which is almost the same as the armet. The difference between the two is that the armet has hinged cheek pieces which separate to allow the wearer to put his head in, while the close helm is separated in two around the same hinge that the visor is attached to, and opens vertically. There are images on Google to show the difference better than I explain it.
7. Armet 2 - Yet another armet from around mid 15th century. This particular example features a wrapper plate, which was a plate that attached to the visor to offer an additional layer of protection to the face and the throat, which was perfect for jousting and for fighting. The wrapper plate would be attached via leather straps, and when you see a large disc at the back of an armet helmet it's there to protect the straps from getting cut.
8. Burgonet - The armet developed into the burgonet as overtime protection became less desirable than vision and breathing. This should not, however, be seen as the success of firearms, but moreso the slow fading of the knightly class and the eventual decrease in the use of heavy cavalry in European warfare doctrines. This is a subject I could go on about for hours, but nah!

So which helmet would be the most contemporary for the server? Most definitely 5, 6 and 7, as well as variations of the great bascinet I discussed but have not shown. Other helmets that would be used would probably be barbutes, kettle helmets and all sorts of other things, but these would be worn by those who either didn't need as much protection or simply couldn't afford it.

Last edited:

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
Let's talk helmets

View attachment 78235

Above are eight somewhat major helmet variations throughout the centuries, from around 11th century until 16th century. The thing to note is that quite often these helmets have a lot of variation within them since they were all hand-made, and quite often the helmets could and would be simultaneously seen on the battlefield. For instance, although it's true that the English were a little slower to develop throughout history than the rest of the world when it came to warfare, it was still not uncommon for a wealthy man at arms to own both a Great Bascinet and an Armet. Numbers 1 and 2 would be seen together at times, as well as 5, 6 and 7. 7, in a slightly more advanced fashion, often with a slightly smaller beak, could be seen alongside 8 through 16th century, although this would be a rare occurrence.

1. A Nasal Helmet - these helmets were the bread and butter of warfare for centuries, although this particular variation, known quite often as a Norman helmet, would be most common in 11th and early 12th centuries. It can be differentiated from earlier nasal helmets by the rather tall height, giving room between the head and the steel to absorb some impact.
2. Great Helm 1 - For whatever reason, the development of helmets took a step back in mid to late 12th century with the introduction of the first, very basic great helm. The reason why I say it took a step back is that for one reason or another the tops of helmets became flat for well over a century. This gave a very nice surface for a blunt weapon to bite into and deliver a powerful impact directly to the skull. Despite this the first great helms were also some of the first helmets in the Medieval period to feature full facial protection. The rest of the head would be protected by a mail coif, which was a hood made out of mail.
3. Great Helm 2 - Before I go on I should note that Great Helms such as this but with flat top existed and were even very popular for a while, but I am certain you have the imagination to imagine the great helm with a flat top. If not, Google is your friend. Anyway, these great helms would be some of the first full head helmets to feature rounded surface at the top. On top of this, a knight in this period would often wear a skullcap worn either over or under his coif. This would offer a huge amount of protection. While these helmets were extremely robust and great from a purely defensive standpoint, they would be troublesome as breathing and sight were both important factors that these helmets did not account for. Still, this is an obvious beginning to the later sugarloaf helmet, and the skullcap would over time develop into the bascinet, which is the fourth helmet presented. This helmet would be popular throughout the 13th and early 14th centuries. It later developed into the frogmouth helmet which was popular in jousting.
4. The Bascinet - A lot can be said about the bascinet, as it is one of the more important helmets in history. As said previously, it is a development of the skullcap, which overtime became more conical at the top to offer a better glancing surface against blows. The bascinet would be the helmet worn by the men at arms of both sides at the battle of Agincourt, and was the staple of warfare through mid to late 14th century. While perhaps not as amazingly protective as the great helm, the bascinet offered a detachable visor which could be lifted to allow the user to breathe and see the battlefield when everything seemed safe. You have to understand that you can't live in a Medieval helmet. These things are stuffy and difficult to breathe in after the smallest amount of exertion. Throat protection was provided by a few layers of mail, with a mail aventail, affixed directly to the helmet, which would start just under the user's lips. An important helmet to mention is the Great Bascinet, which came in late 14th and early 15th centuries. It was a bascinet with a very robust steel protection for the throat. While not popular in mainland Europe, English knights who often fought on foot used it rather extensively.
5. The Sallet - The sallet is a very characteristic helmet of the mid 15th century. It's a very universal helmet, often seen with an adjustable beaver to protect the lower parts of the face, which allowed the user to attach both the helmet and the beaver to different degrees allowing greater vision or greater protection. While this helmet may look odd it's one of the most flexible helmets, with contemporary artwork of the time showing them being worn by both the knight class and the common soldier. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that archers wore these helmets, for instance.
6. Armet 1 - The armet can be seen developing more or less alongside the Sallet, though while the sallet grew in northern parts of Europe, the armet became popular in Italian school of armouring, quite famously the Milanese school. It was truly the first helmet which would encapsulate the user's head more closely, going as far as protecting the user's jaw and neck without any additional pieces. This was possible because the armet would open in its entirety, allowing the user to put their head into it, and then would lock on the back of the head via a screw.
I should note here that there is also a helmet called the close helm, which is almost the same as the armet. The difference between the two is that the armet has hinged cheek pieces which separate to allow the wearer to put his head in, while the close helm is separated in two around the same hinge that the visor is attached to, and opens vertically. There are images on Google to show the difference better than I explain it.
7. Armet 2 - Yet another armet from around mid 15th century. This particular example features a wrapper plate, which was a plate that attached to the visor to offer an additional layer of protection to the face and the throat, which was perfect for jousting and for fighting. The wrapper plate would be attached via leather straps, and when you see a large disc at the back of an armet helmet it's there to protect the straps from getting cut.
8. Burgonet - The armet developed into the burgonet as overtime protection became less desirable than vision and breathing. This should not, however, be seen as the success of firearms, but moreso the slow fading of the knightly class and the eventual decrease in the use of heavy cavalry in European warfare doctrines. This is a subject I could go on about for hours, but nah!

So which helmet would be the most contemporary for the server? Most definitely 5, 6 and 7, as well as variations of the great bascinet I discussed but have not shown. Other helmets that would be used would probably be barbutes, kettle helmets and all sorts of other things, but these would be worn by those who either didn't need as much protection or simply couldn't afford it.
Have an anvil of Approval
Slams down Anvil on Jazzper 's foot

Jazzper

Hi [Unsuspecting Comment], I'm Jazzper
Legend
Blessed
Jasper151627237
Jasper151627237
Legend
Slams his anvil down onto Cyber's, throwing in a decent pokerface as he ponders his life choices

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
14th century plate armour.png

A 14th century harness. Perhaps I've made the pauldrons a little too long. They should probably end two segments up. Fun fact I found out today: Brass rivets we see in Medieval era aren't actually brass, but rather steel with brass caps. The caps were attached with lead, which makes sense when one considers the low melting point of lead.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Bit of something else today. Kubuś, an AK (Armia Krajowa - National Army) makeshift armoured car which fought in the Warsaw Uprising. My dad bought the paper model some time ago at the Uprising Museum in Poland which if you're ever in Warsaw I'd highly recommend it.

Anyway, it'd be a sin if I didn't tell you anything about Kubuś here. As said above, Kubuś was an armoured car built by the Poles during the Warsaw Uprising. It was built in only 13 days, from the planning stage all the way to leaving the small garage it was built in and riding into battle. To simply put, Kubuś is a Chevrolet truck with armour welded on pretty much everywhere it could fit. It was entered immediately into action and alongside a captured Sd.Kfz 251 took part in a failed assault at the Warsaw University which the Germans converted into headquarters. With minor damage Kubuś survived the war, and was one of the first exhibits to be shown in the newly reopened Museum of the Polish Army.

I feel like the Warsaw Uprising, possibly the largest uprising in the Second World War, is often overlooked due to the inconvenient nature of both its conception and its ultimate failure. By all accounts it was a very professionally conducted military operation. Many men, women and children fought and died on the streets with the hope that the Soviet army, which was stationed just across the river, would enter to save them from the Germans, who brought in SS and Gestapo reserves that were notoriously brutal. This was not to be. Russia denied access to their airports to any aircraft which dropped supplies over Warsaw, and yet despite this RAF, the US Air Force and the South African Air Force still flew missions over the city, dropping thousands of tonnes of supplies in an attempt to help the resistance fighters. However, only the Soviet Army could have ultimately saved the people and the city of Warsaw, which they did not do. The capitulation of the city was signed on the 2nd of October, 1944. Members of the AK were granted status of an army which gave them certain rights under the Geneva Convention. However, of the hundreds of thousands of citizens of Warsaw, 60,000 would ultimately be sent to death camps.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Milanese Plate Armour 1.png

A set of Milanese plate armour, characterised by the unsymmetrical pauldrons and the straps attaching a secondary cuirass which went over the main cuirass. The gauntlets don't have gloves inside, which is the reason why they look so thin. Although the armour itself is typical for mid to late 15th century the black and white colour pattern was far more popular in 16th century. I'm not actually entirely sure how it was made. I personally believe that the armour was simply blackened as usual but parts of it would be left out or polished out afterwards to create the pattern. Eitherway this plate armour isn't entirely historically accurate as mittens were preferred on Milanese style of plate armour over finger gauntlets, and as stated above the colour scheme is incorrect, even though I believe they would know how to create something like this in 15th century.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Sallana armour, based on examples of 16th century harnesses.

Sallana Armour.png

I've always thought that Sallana was the most interesting goddess. Or rather, the one I would love to make the most interesting. This is exemplified by my writing about Renatus back in the day. Fairly strong connections to Sallana were made there; Renatans considered her to be the lady of the noon, who at midday would take weary peasants away to her kingdom, so that they could join her in her gardens and palaces. It can be assumed therefore that this armour is Renatan, as fairly strong connections to the legend are present across the set. In fact at its centre stands a lady in a field of wheat. I think all of the gods writing needs a bit of an overhaul, but Sallana is the dearest to my heart for some reason.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
Sallana armour, based on examples of 16th century harnesses.

View attachment 78612

I've always thought that Sallana was the most interesting goddess. Or rather, the one I would love to make the most interesting. This is exemplified by my writing about Renatus back in the day. Fairly strong connections to Sallana were made there; Renatans considered her to be the lady of the noon, who at midday would take weary peasants away to her kingdom, so that they could join her in her gardens and palaces. It can be assumed therefore that this armour is Renatan, as fairly strong connections to the legend are present across the set. In fact at its centre stands a lady in a field of wheat. I think all of the gods writing needs a bit of an overhaul, but Sallana is the dearest to my heart for some reason.
:O could you do an armor set for each of the gods?