Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Evacuate the Sorrows

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
I have a feeling removing lockette in the Sorrows would be detrimental to the server's growth.

On the one hand, removing protections would make raiding more viable, and it would discourage players from trying to form permanent settlements in the Sorrows.

On the other hand, removing protections would likely cause a large portion of new players to leave the server almost immediately after joining.

For example, if I were to just log onto the server, my first order of business would be to establish a small base in the Sorrows to start collecting a few resources. Imagine, then, that I log back in the next day to find that all of the materials I had gathered are suddenly gone, stolen. More likely than not, I'll choose to restart on a different, friendlier server rather than re-gather materials who knows how many times.

Of course, one of the arguments made is that, by removing protections, new players are more encouraged to settle in towns rather than the Sorrows. That sounds great, in theory, but in truth, how many players want to join a town right off the bat?

I, for example, waited nearly a month when I first joined the server as I developed a better RP profile and learned more about each town on the server. The last thing I wanted to do was to rush to join a town and end up regretting my choice; after all, resettling to a new town once you've settled RPly is no easy feat. Once I finally decided to join a town, I was confident in my choice because I had taken the time to investigate it and monitor it's true relevance to both the server at large and my character individually.
...and Old Harlaus was a disorganized mess, so I had a feeling my OCD would be much appreciated for further development...

Though I feel the removal of protections would be well received by established players, I think it would have a detrimental impact on future server growth. I, for one, support sacrificing the wants of the many for the needs of the noob.

If you are going to keep lockette, then I believe it would be wise to also keep MyChunk, or some similar land protection plugin. If only the chests are protected but not the blocks around them, then griefing (you know it will happen) could easily result in floating or isolated chests that nobody can destroy except staff, and if staff start removing locked chests, then why bother having the protections in the first place?

Spark

Broken
Why don't we just remove the sorrows and give everyone creative, remove any kind of physical economy, remove the purchasing of land and titles, aka, noble and have them as applications instead.

If you're going to push it so far as to there being no point of the sorrows besides being a time sink, what's the point in having it? It's like playing minecraft on less that peaceful.

I have a feeling removing lockette in the Sorrows would be detrimental to the server's growth.

On the one hand, removing protections would make raiding more viable, and it would discourage players from trying to form permanent settlements in the Sorrows.

On the other hand, removing protections would likely cause a large portion of new players to leave the server almost immediately after joining.

For example, if I were to just log onto the server, my first order of business would be to establish a small base in the Sorrows to start collecting a few resources. Imagine, then, that I log back in the next day to find that all of the materials I had gathered are suddenly gone, stolen. More likely than not, I'll choose to restart on a different, friendlier server rather than re-gather materials who knows how many times.

Of course, one of the arguments made is that, by removing protections, new players are more encouraged to settle in towns rather than the Sorrows. That sounds great, in theory, but in truth, how many players want to join a town right off the bat?

I, for example, waited nearly a month when I first joined the server as I developed a better RP profile and learned more about each town on the server. The last thing I wanted to do was to rush to join a town and end up regretting my choice; after all, resettling to a new town once you've settled RPly is no easy feat. Once I finally decided to join a town, I was confident in my choice because I had taken the time to investigate it and monitor it's true relevance to both the server at large and my character individually.
...and Old Harlaus was a disorganized mess, so I had a feeling my OCD would be much appreciated for further development...

Though I feel the removal of protections would be well received by established players, I think it would have a detrimental impact on future server growth. I, for one, support sacrificing the wants of the many for the needs of the noob.

If you are going to keep lockette, then I believe it would be wise to also keep MyChunk, or some similar land protection plugin. If only the chests are protected but not the blocks around them, then griefing (you know it will happen) could easily result in floating or isolated chests that nobody can destroy except staff, and if staff start removing locked chests, then why bother having the protections in the first place?
Your argument is sensible, and there's something to it. One thing that we all need to remember, however, is that the sorrows is an IC map, so the only people raiding builds should be ones who do it IC'ly. I think that disqualifies raiding from many of our characters, including all of mine.

In addition, I think more players want to join right off the bat than you've presented. Just look at Thiil's forum post if you don't believe me. As I said in a previous post, we need to do a better job recruiting players to towns because it gets them involved and makes them feel welcome. If they are off alone in the sorrows, they are less likely to RP, which means they aren't immersed into our community as quickly.

I know some characters do go to the sorrows first to establish themselves, but usually those are the more material-oriented players. Ones who want to get immersed in RP join a town and vote for income until they can afford to start a business. Material-oriented players can still go to the sorrows and can still hide a base somewhere. What this does is encourages players to move their things to the NK if they want real protection.

Finally, I don't think roleplayers will leave this server if we try to encourage them to RP more.

Rosary_Omen

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Rosary_Omen
Rosary_Omen
Legend
I don't have a home in the Sorrows, but I've gotten all the materials I need and more just going out there OOCly and farming like a boss. My theory is, making the Sorrows as dangerous as it's meant to be will still let people live there and force them to actually live like it's -real- danger, not dangerous outside of the safety of their chunk. The way walking outside might get them filled with arrows, like it should be. :D

As for removing lockette etc, it doesn't bother me what's done... I store my stuff in my pocket and live in the NK. If they do remove OOC locks, use trapped chests? I don't know how they work XD I have some but haven't got around to using them. Hide your homes, you can make a simple redstone/sticky piston door easily. I'm bad at redstone and I can do it!

I'd hope the changes to the Sorrows would encourage more people to move into the NK towns.

That's just my two cents.

dogbew

Lord of Altera
Honestly I think the sorrows should be more like the old southern wilds, and less like the old northern frontier. Part of the fun in the SW was that it would be for a great gain, risking a great loss. It gave players an outlet for PvP and let everyone play a bit of vanilla Minecraft once in a while. If someone wants to stay away from the trouble in the sorrows, they could (*gasp*) buy the materials from other playera.

Rosary_Omen

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Rosary_Omen
Rosary_Omen
Legend
Honestly I think the sorrows should be more like the old southern wilds, and less like the old northern frontier. Part of the fun in the SW was that it would be for a great gain, risking a great loss. It gave players an outlet for PvP and let everyone play a bit of vanilla Minecraft once in a while. If someone wants to stay away from the trouble in the sorrows, they could (*gasp*) buy the materials from other playera.
Or order them! I have an advantage of being on when there's barely anyone else on, so I can go to the Sorrows unharrassed. (Not that I've had any issues yet, thankfully.)

HogoShi_Kitsune

Lord of Altera
Legend
HogoShi_Kitsune
HogoShi_Kitsune
Legend
I don't have a home in the Sorrows, but I've gotten all the materials I need and more just going out there OOCly and farming like a boss. My theory is, making the Sorrows as dangerous as it's meant to be will still let people live there and force them to actually live like it's -real- danger, not dangerous outside of the safety of their chunk. The way walking outside might get them filled with arrows, like it should be. :D

As for removing lockette etc, it doesn't bother me what's done... I store my stuff in my pocket and live in the NK. If they do remove OOC locks, use trapped chests? I don't know how they work XD I have some but haven't got around to using them. Hide your homes, you can make a simple redstone/sticky piston door easily. I'm bad at redstone and I can do it!

I'd hope the changes to the Sorrows would encourage more people to move into the NK towns.

That's just my two cents.
You side is well presented in this argument, but what about those people (like myself) that do not have pockets? It is impractical to have to leave the sorrows every time you want to store something, then have to take the dockmaster back, have to wander to the other side of Sorrows Town, teleport to the other world (which is extremely laggy for me), then run the 75 blocks before you can /home to your sorrows plot, and finally go back to mining or farming. With pockets, you can use /pocket back or something like that to return to the place you were before using your pocket. Secondly, if everyone starts using redstone to hide their sorrows houses, that will put major strain on the server because redstone isn't a very kind block, especially if it's left on all the time like it would have to be with sticky pistons.

Honestly, I'd prefer it to be left the same as it is currently -- safety inside your home from hostile mobs and being able to protect your build from griefing and your chests/doors with lockette/lwc. I also maintain that if somebody wants to invade your home, all they need to do is treat it like you do in the NK. Message that person, tell them you're invading, and you can handle that ICly. After all, it is an IC encounter.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
I know it's a lot to ask, but what if there was a custom lockette style plugin made for the server with time limits?

For example, a player (let's say N00bMeister) joins the server and starts gathering materials, which he saves in a chest in a small, wooden home he's built and protected. As long as N00bMeister is active on the server, his chests and plots remain protected. If N00bMeister ever decides to leave the server, however, his chests and plots lose their protection, and then anyone can start raiding his Sorrows base.

As for how you would define "active", I would suggest something along the lines of how /noble house oc works where active players, anyone who's played within the last two weeks, are green and inactive players, anyone who hasn't played in over two weeks, are red. You could always try to make a complicated, more balanced method of discerning who should be able to be raided and who shouldn't, but I imagine it would be much simpler and more convenient to use an adjusted version of a system we already have in place.

Another way to go about this would be to simply allow players to lockette chests in the Sorrows for only their first two active weeks on the server, or something to that extent. I'm not sure how the coding for such a plugin would work (not my area of expertise), but such a system would protect new players while encouraging older players to move out of the Sorrows.

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera
Sorry but I'm not particularly interesting in adding more than 1 plugin.

I'm just gonna test how it works/goes for a while and if it goes bad I'll re-enable lockette in the sorrows (and leave out lwc because LWC IS SO MOODY) and if that goes bad as I said (somewhere) I'll go find a replacement for mychunk.

Rosary_Omen

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Rosary_Omen
Rosary_Omen
Legend
I've only had a pocket for -maybe- a week. 30k Rads isn't hard to get if you vote every day. I don't see how it's so 'impractical' to have to travel to the Sorrows, I do it when I need things from the Sorrows/feel like exploring/etc and I understand the lag. I get it too. *Pets shoddy internet and laptop that runs at about 103C all the time*

But yes, the redstone would make things laggy... laggy is not a thing we want. :| It just kind seems odd for immersion sake that you can stand outside in your protected plot with skeletons shooting at you, but the arrows just... ignoring you.

You side is well presented in this argument, but what about those people (like myself) that do not have pockets? It is impractical to have to leave the sorrows every time you want to store something, then have to take the dockmaster back, have to wander to the other side of Sorrows Town, teleport to the other world (which is extremely laggy for me), then run the 75 blocks before you can /home to your sorrows plot, and finally go back to mining or farming. With pockets, you can use /pocket back or something like that to return to the place you were before using your pocket. Secondly, if everyone starts using redstone to hide their sorrows houses, that will put major strain on the server because redstone isn't a very kind block, especially if it's left on all the time like it would have to be with sticky pistons.

Honestly, I'd prefer it to be left the same as it is currently -- safety inside your home from hostile mobs and being able to protect your build from griefing and your chests/doors with lockette/lwc. I also maintain that if somebody wants to invade your home, all they need to do is treat it like you do in the NK. Message that person, tell them you're invading, and you can handle that ICly. After all, it is an IC encounter.

Piedmont

I think I might like it here
The Sorrows will be removed on the 8th of march! (this is a bump)
Sally, you said initially that the new Sorrows will not be created until the other is destroyed. Will there be a new Sorrows on the 8th, or will it take time to destroy the existing one?