Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Evacuate the Sorrows

Bayta

Lord of Altera
I'm happy that the map will get a fresh start, but the King's Law & Sorrowland rules MUST begin to be enforced in the Sorrows once the fresh one returns. Its neglect from the rules diminishes the quality of play on the server.

What interval will the map be refreshed? 4 month intervals would both allow for enough time to explore and have modest homes established for those who want to live in the sorrows.

I suggest that for at least this first instance, @dUMMY should be able to have his Sorrow builds transferred at no cost. He's the most active player in the Sorrows & a valuable member to the server. Treat him right, and then set the new rules in place for transfer (or none).

Lore should be established for what happens in the Sorrows. There are numerous players (and always new players without a Northern home) who take pride in their Sorrowland roots and tying lore to the Sorrows' demise at x intervals (4 months?) would add to player experience.

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
I'm happy that the map will get a fresh start, but the King's Law & Sorrowland rules MUST begin to be enforced in the Sorrows once the fresh one returns. Its neglect from the rules diminishes the quality of play on the server.

What interval will the map be refreshed? 4 month intervals would both allow for enough time to explore and have modest homes established for those who want to live in the sorrows.

I suggest that for at least this first instance, @dUMMY should be able to have his Sorrow builds transferred at no cost. He's the most active player in the Sorrows & a valuable member to the server. Treat him right, and then set the new rules in place for transfer (or none).

Lore should be established for what happens in the Sorrows. There are numerous players (and always new players without a Northern home) who take pride in their Sorrowland roots and tying lore to the Sorrows' demise at x intervals (4 months?) would add to player experience.
I do appreciate your support, Bayta. But I understand that the service I was paying for was an ongoing pay-per-month service, where payment must be maintained in order to retain benefits. Since the EULA enforcement I can no longer make payments, as doing so would put the server at risk of being shut down for EULA infractions.

I am simply in the predicament of facing great loss over this redaction of service. Somnastra is currently thinking of a way to get around this, and after talking to Som a little bit Sally gave me the option of paying for plot transfers at 32 diamonds per plot. But I fear I will have no way of keeping up with this payment every few months. One does not come by 9.5 stacks of diamonds very often(I have 19 plots that need transfering). While I am sad to think about having to move out of the Sorrows, it currently seems as though my best option is to move my castle to somewhere in the NK(If that would be allowed). I would still be able to have a building in the Sorrows that my character lives out of, but it would be far less grand, because I know I would have to say goodbye to it every few months.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
As is intended, really, the Sorrows was never supposed to be home to permanent installations.

Also, willing to contribute some cash to the "Dummy makes something for the NK" fund. 19 plots is relatively inexpensive.

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera
The build guide specifically states
World Edit
There are some requirements to getting something World Edited in the main map, please note that World Edit's will not be carried out in any other map but Altera and Creative, both have different rules of exchange.

Base: 32 diamonds/chunk
Extra commands: +32 diamonds/chunk/command- includes rotate commands- does not include the basic cut & paste
**From Creative: Double, plus material cost
I would appreciate that we don't start bending the rules just because the sorrows is changing.

Spark

Broken
Could we please avoid implying that xray is acceptable? I like catching xrayers yes, but I also don't like the idea that we'd lose a player because they used xray
If you're refering to me, which I don't see why you would be because I never implied X-ray was acceptable, then I apologise. I think if someone isn't able to fathom a simple joke, then they wouldn't have the ability to pass the whitelist application. Then again, there is a big difference between writing skills and people skills, since you can get quite far on the server without the latter, it would seem.

dogbew

Lord of Altera
Would it be at all possible to get a new nether as well? There may not be new nether-blocks, but all the resources there are fairly dried up.

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera
Would it be at all possible to get a new nether as well? There may not be new nether-blocks, but all the resources there are fairly dried up.
Forgot to mention that- yes, there will be a new nether, if anyone has some stuff stored there (I seriously doubt it-) then it should be taken out as well.

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
Forgot to mention that- yes, there will be a new nether, if anyone has some stuff stored there (I seriously doubt it-) then it should be taken out as well.
Yeay! I need quartz

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera
Also, update to the main post:
Mychunk Issues

Mychunk has been broken for ages(Apparently more than 3 weeks) without even realizing HOW broken it was, mostly because it's a very specific bug, but it threatens everyone's chunks in the sorrows. It has a very high chance of being removed on the map reset (I'm gonna go with 95-98% chance), so the sorrows will have no form of protection anymore.

If mychunk isn't fixed by the reset, the sorrows will go under a 'testing' period of how an unprotected PVP enabled resource world works with Altera, roleplay and trade. If it goes well, it will stay as is, if it goes badly, there will be efforts to find another plugin to do the same job as mychunk.

Edit: Also considering disabling lockette and LWC in the sorrows as well-

Also, update to the main post:
I support removal of chunk and chest protection in the sorrows. Mychunk is really buggy and Sally spent a ton of time with it. In my opinion that's not an optimization of Sally's time. Removal of LWC and Lockette will make raiding in the sorrows more fun and make it harder to come back to NK with supplies. I think this will help the server in the long run.

To address raiding and PVP, the MCMMO party system should be utilized, as people in the same or allied parties cannot pvp with each other by default.

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera
I support removal of chunk and chest protection in the sorrows. Mychunk is really buggy and Sally spent a ton of time with it. In my opinion that's not an optimization of Sally's time. Removal of LWC and Lockette will make raiding in the sorrows more fun and make it harder to come back to NK with supplies. I think this will help the server in the long run.

To address raiding and PVP, the MCMMO party system should be utilized, as people in the same or allied parties cannot pvp with each other by default.
I think the mcmmo party thing works, if it shows issues or says no one has perms I can look into it :D but thank yer for the support! It's a huge change and I'm really hoping it'll go well

One thing I wonder about is spawn camping, which was mitigated by the pvp-disabled plots close to the sorrows spawn. If we remove protected chunks, I think we have a significantly higher risk of dying at or near the sorrows spawn. In addition, in the absence of a protected zones, the argument that you ought to be able to teleport straight to your sorrows base from anywhere on the sorrows map (or anywhere) becomes stronger. While these considerations are not inherently bad, I think it somewhat defeats the utility of having a sorrows map. I see a few ways of handling this...

1) Write a rule that prohibits spawn camping. This, in my opinion, is not the best option. The sorrows is supposed to require little to no staff upkeep, and making staff become involved in enforcing spawn camp prohibitions takes valuable time away from them. Furthermore, this could turn into a he-said she-said scenario, or at least you run into a slippery slope in considering how far the rule should extend. "2o blocks, why not 25? 25 blocks, why not 30? Et Cetera."

2) Turn PVP off for X chunks surrounding the spawn chunk. While better than the first option, this one still runs into a slippery slope. What is the value of X? Can you teleport straight to your homes from within this zone?

3) Create a pvp disabled spawn build with multiple exits (or teleports) to the pvp-enabled map. This strategy is widely employed by faction servers and is met with success. It makes camping difficult. It's also a bit prettier than option 2. If this is the desired option, I do have a schematic for a build that could work and am willing to give it to the server (or build it, if that's what is desired).

4) Random (or multiple) spawn points. Under this system, players are teleported to random coordinates (within the world border, of course) each time they come to the map. This is the best way to prevent camping, but loses out on familiarity and introduces luck into the equation. Some chaotic maps employ this, but it doesn't seem to be as common as 2 or 3.

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera
One thing I wonder about is spawn camping, which was mitigated by the pvp-disabled plots close to the sorrows spawn. If we remove protected chunks, I think we have a significantly higher risk of dying at or near the sorrows spawn. In addition, in the absence of a protected zones, the argument that you ought to be able to teleport straight to your sorrows base from anywhere on the sorrows map (or anywhere) becomes stronger. While these considerations are not inherently bad, I think it somewhat defeats the utility of having a sorrows map. I see a few ways of handling this...

1) Write a rule that prohibits spawn camping. This, in my opinion, is not the best option. The sorrows is supposed to require little to no staff upkeep, and making staff become involved in enforcing spawn camp prohibitions takes valuable time away from them. Furthermore, this could turn into a he-said she-said scenario, or at least you run into a slippery slope in considering how far the rule should extend. "2o blocks, why not 25? 25 blocks, why not 30? Et Cetera."

2) Turn PVP off for X chunks surrounding the spawn chunk. While better than the first option, this one still runs into a slippery slope. What is the value of X? Can you teleport straight to your homes from within this zone?

3) Create a pvp disabled spawn build with multiple exits (or teleports) to the pvp-enabled map. This strategy is widely employed by faction servers and is met with success. It makes camping difficult. It's also a bit prettier than option 2. If this is the desired option, I do have a schematic for a build that could work and am willing to give it to the server (or build it, if that's what is desired).

4) Random (or multiple) spawn points. Under this system, players are teleported to random coordinates (within the world border, of course) each time they come to the map. This is the best way to prevent camping, but loses out on familiarity and introduces luck into the equation. Some chaotic maps employ this, but it doesn't seem to be as common as 2 or 3.
Oh, the spawn protection in the sorrows is done with worldguard, so that'll still be there :D

It might go like the previous sorrows and have a 50 block radius of no-build, and 25 blocks out is pvp-on but no /home allowed

Oooohh- I like number 3 very much! I'll have to stew over the pros and cons of each one because right now they all sound pretty cool xD. Would you know how to do those random/multiple spawn points thing, I've always wanted to try something like that as that level of random sounds really fun.

Oh, the spawn protection in the sorrows is done with worldguard, so that'll still be there :D

It might go like the previous sorrows and have a 50 block radius of no-build, and 25 blocks out is pvp-on but no /home allowed

Oooohh- I like number 3 very much! I'll have to stew over the pros and cons of each one because right now they all sound pretty cool xD. Would you know how to do those random/multiple spawn points thing, I've always wanted to try something like that as that level of random sounds really fun.
Your best bet is with this: http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/randomlocation/

It was last updated 1.7.4, so it /may/ work. I don't have a testing server or I'd try it. The plugin is pretty complicated, but since you have a world border installed, you can set it to randomly spawn above ground somewhere within the confines of the border. This is the method you would use: http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/randomlocation/pages/portals/

1. Define a region, in this case, within the sorrows world border.
2. Define a the second region, in this case, the NK ship that takes one to the sorrows.
3.Define the second region as a portal to the first region.
4. Define the portal destination as the first region.

Edit: If this plugin works, it should do the trick. It supports Multiworld support, so it should work with Multiverse.

Second Edit: Also kinda cool, you can set it so that different permission groups or possess a certain node behave differently when they go through the same portal. So, for example, you could in theory make it so those who buy a node can go to a specific location, but if you don't buy the node your location is randomly determined.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bayta

Lord of Altera
Got it, Dummy & I'll help contribute when/if the time comes.

To @SallyPirate, etc mods:

1) Will King's Law & the Sorrowland rules be enforced from now on in the Sorrows? If so, having people appointed to care for it could be really helpful.
2) Will there be an established interval for refreshing the map?
3) When I was new to the world, the only place available for me to live, especially after being booted from Azerport (still as a noob), was the Sorrows. A greeting buddy, or noob town/storage would be helpful with the elimination of the Sorrows as a safe bet.

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
I seem to remember number three (of anit's suggestion) has been done by us before at some point

dogbew

Lord of Altera

1) Will King's Law & the Sorrowland rules be enforced from now on in the Sorrows? If so, having people appointed to care for it could be really helpful.
3) When I was new to the world, the only place available for me to live, especially after being booted from Azerport (still as a noob), was the Sorrows. A greeting buddy, or noob town/storage would be helpful with the elimination of the Sorrows as a safe bet.
Could set the newbs up with a two-week stay in the crossroads Inn, something something instanced rooms something something

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good

Not all of King's Law are enforceable in the Sorrows, with PvP enabled. The rest I'm not sure about quite yet.