Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Evacuate the Sorrows

I think the best solution for new players is for town owners to do a better job recruiting and including new players in daily activities.

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera
Your best bet is with this: http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/randomlocation/

It was last updated 1.7.4, so it /may/ work. I don't have a testing server or I'd try it. The plugin is pretty complicated, but since you have a world border installed, you can set it to randomly spawn above ground somewhere within the confines of the border. This is the method you would use: http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/randomlocation/pages/portals/

1. Define a region, in this case, within the sorrows world border.
2. Define a the second region, in this case, the NK ship that takes one to the sorrows.
3.Define the second region as a portal to the first region.
4. Define the portal destination as the first region.

Edit: If this plugin works, it should do the trick. It supports Multiworld support, so it should work with Multiverse.

Second Edit: Also kinda cool, you can set it so that different permission groups or possess a certain node behave differently when they go through the same portal. So, for example, you could in theory make it so those who buy a node can go to a specific location, but if you don't buy the node your location is randomly determined.
Whew, I'll look through that and test it, least I got 3 weeks to figure it out xD shouldn't be too hard (I hope). Hopefully it works with 1.8, but if not there should be a few plugins like it lurking about (though multi-world support is so hard to come by these days ._. )

Edit: Should clarify to other readers: I'm simply considering these options- they're not for sure and if they don't turn out well for the sorrows (I just realized there's not a good RP/lore reason for randomly being ditched in the sorrows) then I'll switch back or pick another one. I'm just in a really good mood and wanna try new things-

Rosary_Omen

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Rosary_Omen
Rosary_Omen
Legend
Whew, I'll look through that and test it, least I got 3 weeks to figure it out xD shouldn't be too hard (I hope). Hopefully it works with 1.8, but if not there should be a few plugins like it lurking about (though multi-world support is so hard to come by these days ._. )

Edit: Should clarify to other readers: I'm simply considering these options- they're not for sure and if they don't turn out well for the sorrows (I just realized there's not a good RP/lore reason for randomly being ditched in the sorrows) then I'll switch back or pick another one. I'm just in a really good mood and wanna try new things-
How about the linking the random location dumping in the Sorrows to the Lore for the Underwater Temples? That could be a nifty idea!

How about the linking the random location dumping in the Sorrows to the Lore for the Underwater Temples? That could be a nifty idea!
I would love to see the connection between these two.

As for the justification for dumping players in different locations, you could always say that ship captains don't prefer to go to any one location in the sorrows and will simply drop you off when and where they decide to make port. Or you could justify with shipwrecks or what not.

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera
I was thinking if anything it'd be the Dock Master going "Alright this place is WAY too deadly, DID YOU SEE THAT GIANT FISH? Just point to an island and I'll drop you off-"

I was thinking if anything it'd be the Dock Master going "Alright this place is WAY too deadly, DID YOU SEE THAT GIANT FISH? Just point to an island and I'll drop you off-"

*claps* You did it. You get a cookie or a small parade!

Got it, Dummy & I'll help contribute when/if the time comes.

To @SallyPirate, etc mods:

1) Will King's Law & the Sorrowland rules be enforced from now on in the Sorrows? If so, having people appointed to care for it could be really helpful.
2) Will there be an established interval for refreshing the map?
3) When I was new to the world, the only place available for me to live, especially after being booted from Azerport (still as a noob), was the Sorrows. A greeting buddy, or noob town/storage would be helpful with the elimination of the Sorrows as a safe bet.
Bayta, I just read through the King's Law again and nothing immediately appeared to be obviously not enforced. If you witness somebody or something that violates the King's Law, I highly recommend you make staff aware of it through private conversation (if you haven't done so) at which point staff will enforce. They cannot enforce what they don't know about. Let's make it easier for staff to do their jobs :D

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
Oh, the spawn protection in the sorrows is done with worldguard, so that'll still be there :D

It might go like the previous sorrows and have a 50 block radius of no-build, and 25 blocks out is pvp-on but no /home allowed

Oooohh- I like number 3 very much! I'll have to stew over the pros and cons of each one because right now they all sound pretty cool xD. Would you know how to do those random/multiple spawn points thing, I've always wanted to try something like that as that level of random sounds really fun.
If other plans don't pan out, specifically the random spawn plan, I would suggest doubling if not tripling the world guard zones.

I'm going to miss having a spot to build in :(

Kvothe

Guildmaster
Retired Staff
Oh, the spawn protection in the sorrows is done with worldguard, so that'll still be there :D

It might go like the previous sorrows and have a 50 block radius of no-build, and 25 blocks out is pvp-on but no /home allowed

Oooohh- I like number 3 very much! I'll have to stew over the pros and cons of each one because right now they all sound pretty cool xD. Would you know how to do those random/multiple spawn points thing, I've always wanted to try something like that as that level of random sounds really fun.
I sense an old sorrows sorta thing. With the floating island and the big desert and loads of jungle ;o

Oh, Lockette will still work in the Sorrows, yes?
Sally said in the original post that she was considering taking lockette off.

One thing concerns me, however, and that's chestshop. It occurs to me that you could lock all your chests still by making chest shops and putting your stuff in there. Thus, the conclusion is that the consideration of whether chestshop stays or goes should be tied to the lockette lwc decision.

I personally think that chest shops don't belong in the sorrows, and removing chest shops from the sorrows would effectively move them to the NK or mean people who had shops in the sorrows don't have shops anymore. I'd hope for the former, of course. :)

BrianAT16

The Brainz
Legend
Retired Staff
LeStrangest
LeStrangest
Legend
I, for one, fully support the removal of mychunk, lockette, lwc, and chest shops in the sorrows. It just makes the sorrows feel a lot more lawless which is the way it is suppose to be. Plus it will make it more dangerous which, to me, makes it more fun to go there and collect supplies. Sure you can't safely store anything in the sorrows anymore, but like people said above, it gives players more incentive to get houses on the main map so that they CAN safely store their stuff.

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
I, for one, fully support the removal of mychunk, lockette, lwc, and chest shops in the sorrows. It just makes the sorrows feel a lot more lawless which is the way it is suppose to be. Plus it will make it more dangerous which, to me, makes it more fun to go there and collect supplies. Sure you can't safely store anything in the sorrows anymore, but like people said above, it gives players more incentive to get houses on the main map so that they CAN safely store their stuff.
I think a lot of the need to store things in the NK comes from the fact that the Sorrows is periodically wiped. even I support things like Lockett and Mychunk to an extent.

Oh, theoretically you could also use a shopkeeper chest as a lock in the sorrows, so that should also be considered for removal if the intent is to remove locked chests from the sorrows.

HogoShi_Kitsune

Lord of Altera
Legend
HogoShi_Kitsune
HogoShi_Kitsune
Legend
If mychunk isn't fixed by the reset, the sorrows will go under a 'testing' period of how an unprotected PVP enabled resource world works with Altera, roleplay and trade. If it goes well, it will stay as is, if it goes badly, there will be efforts to find another plugin to do the same job as mychunk.

Edit: Also considering disabling lockette and LWC in the sorrows as well-

More edits because I'm forgetful: Disabling lockette and LWC in the sorrows is only considered to encourage people keeping their items safe in the main map, it will make it MUCH easier to reset maps in the future and wouldn't require as much as a warning "Boop, new sorrows in, have fun." basically.
Eh, to be completely honest, if we were to lose chunk protection and item protection, I'll probably not be very likely to use the Sorrows at all anymore. I rely on a stable mine where I can collect materials like iron ore and coal, but if I'm not able to have a place of safety to stage my materials, then my chances of actually venturing there drop between zero and nothing. I would prefer it stays the way it is, if at all possibe: having a zone where you can have safety from the wild mobs and from pvp (since I really don't like pvp, and mobs are just annoying), and being able to lock your stuff.

We have the noble plugin already, I doubt it would be difficult to make a derivative of that which functions only in the sorrows and includes only the chunk/region claiming. Nether, I could even write it myself if needed. It wouldn't be hard to limit the number of chunks a person could own either, if we use this method.