Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Evacuate the Sorrows

Rosary_Omen

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Rosary_Omen
Rosary_Omen
Legend
Ideally, the Sorrows would have a fixed spawn, not have lockette, pvp & theft would be allowed, it would be lawless, but griefing (excluding theft) would not be allowed. Trees must be fully trimmed and mountain top removal would not be allowed.

Wipe them once per month or six times per year.
From memory, the Sorrows (if people like the current settings) will be lawless, random spawn, no protection, and wiped every month? I might be wrong... bad memory.

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera
It's only 1 month for this test period to see reactions/feelings about how it goes, after that the map twould be slightly larger for most likely 3 months with possibly tiny options changed. Considering the positive reactions I saw ingame for a few days after the reset, I'd have to say the no-protection thing might be permanent.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Except that a single spawn point means that:

A) Spawn camping becomes rampant.

And, more importantly:

B) All the chunks around spawn get chewed up and the world lasts a /lot/ shorter of a timeframe.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
Except that a single spawn point means that:

And, more importantly:

B) All the chunks around spawn get chewed up and the world lasts a /lot/ shorter of a timeframe.
But spawn camping wasn't rampant.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I still believe trying to cater to the whims of the entire playerbase using one world is an exercise in frustration and not pleasing everyone.

I haven't gone looking for resources or played the game normally in over a year and the loss of the EF is mostly to blame for that. It's something I kind of really want to address at some point.

Rosary_Omen

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Rosary_Omen
Rosary_Omen
Legend
I still believe trying to cater to the whims of the entire playerbase using one world is an exercise in frustration and not pleasing everyone.

I haven't gone looking for resources or played the game normally in over a year and the loss of the EF is mostly to blame for that. It's something I kind of really want to address at some point.
I've never even seen another player in the old sorrows, and I've spent ages out there. I just have to look out for the mobs and that's it.

Spark

Broken
Nobody does that because it's pointless, killing people is pointless, because you gain nothing from PKing. Except satisfaction (@dUMMY ).

B) All the chunks around spawn get chewed up and importantly lasts a /lot/ shorter of a timeframe.
If anything it lengthens it. If people spawn in the middle of nowhere, they have no idea how likely it is that someone has mined there, so they could be trying to mine somewhere that has been completely sucked dry. With a fixed spawn point you know how far from spqwn you are, and the further out you get the less likely it is that someone has been there.
Meaning it'll take longer before people start saying they can't find anything.
Or it could make no difference in the long run.
Also, people usually make nice buildings near spawn which has happened in every recourse world I can remember.

That doesn't mean there isn't a need for a dedicated PvP world, since PvP is unlikely to ever be well done in the Sorrows.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
One of the easy ways to solve the random spawn issue, for resource collection, is with multiple homes. If you, the individual player, set a home somewhere, that becomes your own spawn point from which you can expand and gather what you need.

That doesn't solve the PvP issue of tracking everyone down, but can anyone really say there was more PvP from a single spawn point? Even then, it was rare to see another player in the Sorrows.

In my opinion, the key detriment to PvP is not the means of PvP but rather the reward. There is such limited reward that few people put the effort to engage in meaningful PvP. Until the reward is improved, such as returning to a "drop all items on death" policy in the Sorrows, I don't think we'll see an increase in PvP.

Sassy

Lord of Altera
Legend
SewSassy
SewSassy
Legend
One of the easy ways to solve the random spawn issue, for resource collection, is with multiple homes. If you, the individual player, set a home somewhere, that becomes your own spawn point from which you can expand and gather what you need.

That doesn't solve the PvP issue of tracking everyone down, but can anyone really say there was more PvP from a single spawn point? Even then, it was rare to see another player in the Sorrows.

In my opinion, the key detriment to PvP is not the means of PvP but rather the reward. There is such limited reward that few people put the effort to engage in meaningful PvP. Until the reward is improved, such as returning to a "drop all items on death" policy in the Sorrows, I don't think we'll see an increase in PvP.
I went to the old Sorrows alot, and personally I have never come across anyone while leaving the spawn area. In the new Sorrows, however, I do enjoy the random spawn- people should remember /sethome works in the Sorrows, so if you want to appear in the same place or need to go to the same place, just use a /home. In my personal opinion I dont see any bad implications of the random spawning. The world is smaller, and when the new Sorrows opened I came across atleast 4 other players. (Of course this was when it was super populated after the opening, but I think the point still stands)
I have to agree with Sinclair's first point.

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera
New sorrows is in (Ahh, no warning-), the randomTP has been removed and the old ship system is back in place, 50 block protection around the boat.

That's all I can think to mention.