Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Game of Thrones [No Book Spoilers, but filled with TV Series Spoilers!]

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
After catching up with show-canon, I am now reasonably certain it will be Jaime that kills Cersei.

I think they're even foreshadowing it.

Cymic_

Better than sliced bread
Legend
After catching up with show-canon, I am now reasonably certain it will be Jaime that kills Cersei.

I was thinking the reverse at this scene, that Cersei would have Jaime killed. Something something i'll do whatever it takes something something even kill my family/lover

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
From where I've left off, she just did the exact very thing he sacrificed his honor and knightly aspirations to prevent in the first place.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
There's the whole prophecy thingy of her being strangled to death by *weird word here with multiple translations* one of which is her brother. Cersei feels it was referencing Tyrion when it likely means Jamie.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
There's the whole prophecy thingy of her being strangled to death by *weird word here with multiple translations* one of which is her brother. Cersei feels it was referencing Tyrion when it likely means Jamie.
Cersei: When will I wed the prince?
Maggy: Never. You will wed the king.
Cersei: I will be queen, though?
Maggy: Aye. Queen you shall be... until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear.

Cersei: Will the king and I have children?
Maggy: Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you. Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, she said. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.

Valonqar is High Valyrian for "little brother".

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods

Yeah that's been more or less the consensus for a long while now. The bait and switch for Cersei being that it'll be Tyrion that kills her, not Jamie, so when Jamie does it she'll be all surprised.

Azur

Lord of Altera
Lover
Legend
A_Z_U_R
A_Z_U_R
Lover
Sophe and I basically just kept pausing the episode to discuss theories and other little bits throughout. We're really not good company to have while watching something.

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
Sophe and I basically just kept pausing the episode to discuss theories and other little bits throughout. We're really not good company to have while watching something.
Exact reason why my buddy won't watch it with me.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Oh yeah, me and Warwolf sat down to discuss the 'plot hole' of the two fleets not meeting each other, and we came up with this, based on a lot of assumptions.

Despite characters who haven't actually seen Danny's fleet claiming that Greyjoy fleet is the largest, that's physically impossible considering that Danny has to transport between 100,000-200,000 men. For the Mongolian invasion of Japan, the closest thing we have to something of this scale, the Mongols needed roughly 1000 ships for 50,000 men (900 for 40,000 to be more specific, but it's easier to work with fuller numbers). That's considering that a large chunk of the Mongolian navy was made up of riverboats and, to be blunt, crap. So theoretically Danny would need roughly 3000 ships, but since her ships appear to be more sea-worthy, we decided to say that 2500 would suffice. That means that her fleet is made up of 2500 ships and the Greyjoy fleet is made up of 1000 ships. Note that Greyjoy fleet might still be the largest battle fleet - Danny's fleet is largely supplemented by merchant ships.

Calculating the size of the strait between Dragonstone and the other bits is quite easy. The wall is about 300 miles. Someone out on Roddit already said that the strait was roughly 60 miles across, and that would appear to be accurate when taking a gander at the map.

So, next we calculate the area of the fleets. This is where a lot of assuming takes place. On average, we said that most of the ships are roughly the size of a Carrack, i.e. 25 metres in length. The length of the mast is what interested us more, because it appears in the photo below that the spacing between each ship is around two masts' worth.
^42CCE6FF4631E581EFD27B270B94F9D1E2D5C38A51A9F34CFB^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png

So, let's say that each of these masts is around 40 metres tall. That'd mean that each ship needs around 80 metres around it, which is great because now we have a circle. To calculate the size of the fleet we simply have to figure out how big is a circle made up of 1000 circles. Then of 2500 circles. Warwolf did the maths so if something's wrong it's his fault. Anyway, he calculated that the Greyjoy fleet would be roughly 1.57 miles in size if the fleet was circular, which it appears to be. Danny's fleet would be around 2.5 miles. Add those two up, and the overall size of both fleets is 4.7 miles. BUT WAIT THERE IS MORE. You have to recognise the importance of the line of horizon, and how far a human being can see. At a height of 30 metres, the distance to the horizon is 12.2 miles. Even if we assume that 40 metres make it go up to 13 miles, which we did, that still means that the maximum distance from which the two fleets can spot each other is 17.7 miles. Remember that the strait is about 60 miles wide. So there you have it. Again, this isn't an exact science.

Azur

Lord of Altera
Lover
Legend
A_Z_U_R
A_Z_U_R
Lover
Oh yeah, me and Warwolf sat down to discuss the 'plot hole' of the two fleets not meeting each other, and we came up with this, based on a lot of assumptions.

Despite characters who haven't actually seen Danny's fleet claiming that Greyjoy fleet is the largest, that's physically impossible considering that Danny has to transport between 100,000-200,000 men. For the Mongolian invasion of Japan, the closest thing we have to something of this scale, the Mongols needed roughly 1000 ships for 50,000 men (900 for 40,000 to be more specific, but it's easier to work with fuller numbers). That's considering that a large chunk of the Mongolian navy was made up of riverboats and, to be blunt, crap. So theoretically Danny would need roughly 3000 ships, but since her ships appear to be more sea-worthy, we decided to say that 2500 would suffice. That means that her fleet is made up of 2500 ships and the Greyjoy fleet is made up of 1000 ships. Note that Greyjoy fleet might still be the largest battle fleet - Danny's fleet is largely supplemented by merchant ships.

Calculating the size of the strait between Dragonstone and the other bits is quite easy. The wall is about 300 miles. Someone out on Roddit already said that the strait was roughly 60 miles across, and that would appear to be accurate when taking a gander at the map.

So, next we calculate the area of the fleets. This is where a lot of assuming takes place. On average, we said that most of the ships are roughly the size of a Carrack, i.e. 25 metres in length. The length of the mast is what interested us more, because it appears in the photo below that the spacing between each ship is around two masts' worth.
View attachment 85349

So, let's say that each of these masts is around 40 metres tall. That'd mean that each ship needs around 80 metres around it, which is great because now we have a circle. To calculate the size of the fleet we simply have to figure out how big is a circle made up of 1000 circles. Then of 2500 circles. Warwolf did the maths so if something's wrong it's his fault. Anyway, he calculated that the Greyjoy fleet would be roughly 1.57 miles in size if the fleet was circular, which it appears to be. Danny's fleet would be around 2.5 miles. Add those two up, and the overall size of both fleets is 4.7 miles. BUT WAIT THERE IS MORE. You have to recognise the importance of the line of horizon, and how far a human being can see. At a height of 30 metres, the distance to the horizon is 12.2 miles. Even if we assume that 40 metres make it go up to 13 miles, which we did, that still means that the maximum distance from which the two fleets can spot each other is 17.7 miles. Remember that the strait is about 60 miles wide. So there you have it. Again, this isn't an exact science.
Yeah we don't get that nerdy with it LOL

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
Oh damn- nice

There's also the fact that the timeline of these scenes and stories aren't all chronological. (Either GRRM or the directors mentioned it). The Cersei/Euron scene could have happened first and Dany could have come to Dragonstone long after Euron sailed past.

Last edited:

Blorbis83

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Blorbis83
Blorbis83
Legend
Can we talk about why Dany doesn't at least try and give her Unsullied swords or mail? I get realistically it'd be hard but c'mon the Lannisters get plate and this weird leather segmented armor

Azur

Lord of Altera
Lover
Legend
A_Z_U_R
A_Z_U_R
Lover
Can we talk about why Dany doesn't at least try and give her Unsullied swords or mail? I get realistically it'd be hard but c'mon the Lannisters get plate and this weird leather segmented armor
Mind you armor doesn't mean a whole lot in the show. A lot of people on the server might be ultra-realistic medieval armor guys, but in the show it generally serves an aesthetic appeal. The only time I can think of where they specify that armor is actually useful, is in a scene with Arya and Sandor. Other than that, you'll notice people slashing at guys in armor, and killing them in a single hit, quite a lot.

Somewhat related to that, the Unsullied armor/appearance change for this season is fantastic, honestly. I also like the new Kingsguard/Queensguard look.

Warwolf

Alteran Cryptid and Renowned Hat-wearer
Staff member
Admin
In-Game Tech Staff
Legend
WarWolf_1
WarWolf_1
Legend
Oh yeah, we knew the most likely case was that Euron sailed past first, then Dany arrived at Dragonstone and then Euron will be sailing back out and will meet them on his exit trip. But it was fun to work out if they had been passing at the same time, whether they'd have seen each other or not. :p

The only time I can think of where they specify that armor is actually useful, is in a scene with Arya and Sandor.
Another example I can think of is when Jorah fought against that Dothraki whilst wearing his armour. [x]

Azur

Lord of Altera
Lover
Legend
A_Z_U_R
A_Z_U_R
Lover
Oh yeah, we knew the most likely case was that Euron sailed past first, then Dany arrived at Dragonstone and then Euron will be sailing back out and will meet them on his exit trip. But it was fun to work out if they had been passing at the same time, whether they'd have seen each other or not. :p

Another example I can think of is when Jorah fought against that Dothraki whilst wearing his armour. [x]
That one too. Other than that though, they end up forgetting armor does what it does.