Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Halo

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
They are not milking the players, it's something that has a demand and they are continuing from halo 3. The only halo game so far that I have not fully enjoyed was ODST, I just did not really see to much point to it. Halo Reach is also based on the Halo story lines but just not part of the same time area of halo 3. It's all there on the Halo books, I've read a few of them now and I'm glad that halo 4 is carrying on the story line and getting the forerunners involved.
The same goes for me. ODST was a little hyped think on the ODST part. There were not enough Orbital Drops for my liking.

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
They improve the graphics, continue the storyline, possibly add new weapons, enemies, characters etc. and new vehicles. With movies, it keeps the good storyline and it survives. It was that way with Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, among other series. The same concept goes for video games. They just need to make sure they don't sacrifice quality gameplay for storyline, or storyline for gameplay. That's when it is just milking.

Edit: In case you don't get what I mean, a prime example- Pirates of the Caribbean. The first one was a pretty good movie, second was okay, third one was horrible, didn't even bother seeing the fourth. They kept all the fun action throughout the series, but they completely dropped the good storyline.

Valcust

Lord of Altera
Am I the only person completely confused as to why the Covenant are still fighting humans in H4..?
Are they just stranded battalions, still continuing a war they've already lost, or something along those lines?

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
Am I the only person completely confused as to why the Covenant are still fighting humans in H4..?
Are they just stranded battalions, still continuing a war they've already lost, or something along those lines?
It is explained on the wiki to detail (ish) but I shall summarise. I a. most basic form.

At the end of the Human-Covenant war the Covenant collapses.

The Sangheili try to go thier own way but fall into problems and civil war with the Arbiter on one side (allied with the humans) and the Servants of the Abiding Truth.
The Servants are a group of religious order that follow the belief that tampering with Forerunner artefacts is a sin. After a failed attempt at killing the Arbiter a group of them flee and they then form what we know as the Storm Covenant. The member species are variants of the usual ones seen so they can be said to be offshoots.

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior
That's certainly a good conjecture. However, I think it's more than that. I believe there's something backing the Covenant. Something powerful, like perhaps the Gravemind that might have survived. or some kind of ancient Forerunner technology - perhaps something on par with the halo rings.

Despite this, what I find odd is that in the live-action series, it's the ELITES that are fighting against the humans again. Something must've happened to spur them into conflict with the humans; you may recall the elites aided the humans and Sierra 117 with the fight against Truth and the Covenant on the Ark.

I'm just really hoping things will be explained better when the game comes out. Or perhaps in further episodes of Forward Unto Dawn.

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
That's certainly a good conjecture. However, I think it's more than that. I believe there's something backing the Covenant. Something powerful, like perhaps the Gravemind that might have survived. or some kind of ancient Forerunner technology - perhaps something on par with the halo rings.

Despite this, what I find odd is that in the live-action series, it's the ELITES that are fighting against the humans again. Something must've happened to spur them into conflict with the humans; you may recall the elites aided the humans and Sierra 117 with the fight against Truth and the Covenant on the Ark.

I'm just really hoping things will be explained better when the game comes out. Or perhaps in further episodes of Forward Unto Dawn.
The live action series takes place in 2526 when the war is only a year old.

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff

Also in the third episode you linked the cadets see a classified video. At this time the Spartan II progam was still classified and was only unveiled publicly in 2547, albeit not fully as the training and other things were highly secret.

The Living Ghost

Thing One
Retired Staff
Valcust said:
Hopefully that is what we will find out, but I think that it is more of the fact that the covenant has found a new artifact, but they aren't the only ones...

Valcust

Lord of Altera
..Wait, I thought this was forerunner stuff?
I never quite got what the covenant thought of the forerunners, is there ever any sort of evidence thus-far to determine if they're going on some "they were gods!" trip, again?

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
I never quite got what the covenant thought of the forerunners, is there ever any sort of evidence thus-far to determine if they're going on some "they were gods!" trip, again?
yes they are going on a Forerunner god rush

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior
The Covenant always thought of the Forerunners as sort of "gods." Well, the Prophets did, mostly. While they knew the halo rings were meant to be activated, what they didn't realize - or didn't WANT to realize - is that the rings were meant to kill the Flood and would wipe out all life within their range. Thus we get into what the humans were fighting them for, blah blah, Halo 1-3.

From what I've seen of the Halo 4 previews 'n such, the Covenant is somewhat back as they try to uncover more Forerunner artifacts and the humans delve deeper into the history of the Forerunners... Or something like that.

The Living Ghost

Thing One
Retired Staff
Valcust said:
Oh, yeah, just look at that.. benevolence..They sure are gods! *covenant logic*
Yeah, this is the first time in the series the forerunners are actually seen, yet these are some kind of forerunner gladiators that have been sealed away for a very long time, and are very angry about it

Valcust

Lord of Altera
Yeah, this is the first time in the series the forerunners are actually seen, yet these are some kind of forerunner gladiators that have been sealed away for a very long time, and are very angry about it
I thought these guys were just some forerunner automaton left behind to protect their secret bits on planets >.>
...Basically robots that protect cool alien treasure :3
Yaaay, Treasure!

The actual forerunners themselves are thought to've been long extinct..