Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[NationStates] Region Reset Discussion

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Large nations are the people who've stuck with the RP the longest. It's the same legacy character rule that's enforced everywhere in the community.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Instead, I believe we should take a cue from Civ 5 and primarily base units off of Defense Forces, Culture, and Religiousness, as those are the main categories that would lead to border expansion in Civ 5. I also believe that relying on this structure would be fairer to all nations, as there will most certainly be some nations that do not want to be forced into becoming military powerhouses to expand territorially.
this was the moment that I went and 100% approved of the reset decision.

finally
my culture will MEAN something! and people will stop trying to military the entire world!

*ahem*the entire first part of this seems alright! I haven't looked to anyone else's, but I will, and while I don't have time to comment on every single thing, I do have time to read. I'll be posting agrees and disagrees. if it's a mix of agree/disagree, I'll write a thing.

anyways, on to my major beef. my major major beef:

But what's the excuse for all of this?
That's another point that's open for discussion. Most people don't seem to need an RP excuse, but there are other people, who basically demand that there be some sort of RP excuse for a reset.

As far as I'm concerned, space colonization seems like the best RP excuse. There can be an apocalypse on the old world, if desired, but I don't think that's really all that necessary if we're all making new nations, anyways. So long as the new world has some reason to not be in contact with the old world, that's good enough for me.
ewwwwwwwwwww no. why space colonization ew ew ew ew ew.
I do not like that idea. keep that science fiction nonsense OUT OF HERE.
there is no need for us to EXPLAIN why we're not roleplaying in the old world anymore. just abandon old world. it's just a reboot. can't ppl live with a reboot why does it need to make in-universe sense we're not even staying in the old universe man.
new world, entirely new story.

(on a second thought, it MIGHT work, and the more i think about it the more I'm kinda digging it, but I have very, very specific conditions on this and how it is handled, I'll deal with that in another post on this thread because I have so many feelings about this proposal.....)

Anything else?
Some people have stated their intent to create elven nations, upon a reset, and that gave me an idea:
Why not have humans, the colonization crew, in other words, discover and attempt to settle a "fantasy" world with elves and dwarves?

Basically, this would be Avatar (not the last airbender) in Alteran form. Humans come onto the scene, elves and dwarves (and anything else) must respond in kind. Various elven and dwarven kingdoms can be scattered across the new world, and the player-controlled nations (still only one territory to start, mind you) would have to conquer or ally with the NPC nations on the map to try and contest human advancement.

An important point of this would be the absence of magic and magical traits. For example, elves would clearly not be allowed to be immortal.

All in all, this last idea about colonizing a "fantasy" world is just a little idea; it's by no means attached to everything else. Like everything, this idea can be discussed in a general thread.
so you tempted me, Lord Sinclair. you tempted me into the trap of stupid space colonization sci-fi decisions with the forbidden fruit of alien races.

*glances at my tiny notebook full of alien race designs* *grumbles*
I'm reserving judgement.

> No magic.
> There will be a short list of accepted races that must be adhered to; likely, this list would be humans, elves, and dwarves.
> There is no significant disparity in racial traits (aka, elves aren't immortal, etc).
> Issues must be classified, or more simply, the too-crazy ones must be commonly discarded (aka, moon cannons are no longer canon).
> All nations begin with modern day tech. Upon reaching a Scientific Advancement Level of 100, a nation may gain one, and only one, sudo-futuristic tech (aka tech that is, or could reasonably be, researched within the next 50 years). This tech must be verified by OOC consent to ensure that it does not break immersion. Each nation may gain an additional sudo-futuristic tech for every 100 SALs (@ 200, 300, 400, etc). Mechanica Rationalis may start with synthetics, but advanced cyborg tech and other organic-to-synthetic tech must be obtained via the level-up system beginning at a SAL of 100.
loving those hard rules. except, I wonder if by "significant disparity" in racial traits, you mean significantly different from human in GENERAL, or only significant disparity in a "game-break"y way (immortal elves, some alien having a significant advantage over humanity, etc.), because.

if we're doing that pulp sci-fi cluster**** terrible idea that is space colonization, I will at the very least make the best out of a bad thing, and immediately write up lore on the goatlizard aliens of my new country.
or maybe the xenophobic mammalian salamanders. or the monogendered anoles with iridescent fur crests.
or the human-shaped invertebrates with external lungs, or the neon-colored, six-eyed hyenas, or the angler fish in mech suits, or the furred humanoids with reversed-protein DNA, or the cricket-tiles, or maybe those scaled bird-people...
.... I love aliens.

.... all I'm saying is, if you're going full Avatar, go the whole 9 yards. the alien biology was the only cool part of that entire movie.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
if we're doing that pulp sci-fi cluster**** terrible idea that is space colonization, I will at the very least make the best out of a bad thing, and immediately write up lore on the goatlizard aliens of my new country.
or maybe the xenophobic mammalian salamanders. or the monogendered anoles with iridescent fur crests.
or the human-shaped invertebrates with external lungs, or the neon-colored, six-eyed hyenas, or the angler fish in mech suits, or the furred humanoids with reversed-protein DNA, or the cricket-tiles, or maybe those scaled bird-people...
.... I love aliens.
*cringes*
(is joke :heart: )

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
And this is why I said we'd need hard rules in the forum PM. Mammalian salamanders with iridescent fur. I am not going back to HW 2012.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
*cringes*
(is joke :heart: )
And this is why I said we'd need hard rules in the forum PM. Mammalian salamanders with iridescent fur. I am not going back to HW 2012.
wow. rude.
I'll have you know, I take my aliens very seriously. I'm not gonna plop some recolored asari into a setting like "this is my original species do not steal" like hello, who do you think I am, somebody who doesn't write an excessive amount of lore for everything she gets into? </3

and besides that, my only point with the aliens was to make a point about the space colonization idea. which was:

if you're gonna go so blatantly sci-fi, go the full 9 yards.

and maybe I was getting excited about showing off these alien designs that I put years of work into :heart:
:heart: you dont know my life :heart:

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
Well, it seems to me that we have some players who are staunchly against fantasy elements and sci-fi, so I think we should stick to humans only so as to avoid alienating a signficant portion of the player base.

Ray1333

Lord of Altera
This entire thread just goes to show that we don't debate IC just for IC purposes.
You lot crave these discussions.

...And I'd be lying to say I didn't too.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Well, it seems to me that we have some players who are staunchly against fantasy elements and sci-fi, so I think we should stick to humans only so as to avoid alienating a signficant portion of the player base.
well, if there's no aliens, there's no point to space colonization. so boop, no space! drop the space! yeehaw!
I'm so upset right now nobody gave my goatlizards a chance.

there goes my plans of detailing exactly how I would best prefer actual space colonization to go oh wait nevermind im doing it anyways yeehaw

1. alien natives are required, but only one sentient alien species, voted on by everybody. it can't be elves. (I would win this alien species contest btw, my lore-writing skills are A++ *sparkle desu*)
  2. connecting it back to old world seems like too much work in general and it bothers me on an intrinsic level, so lets just say generic colonialist humans if we do this. we can IMPLY they're related to old nations (cause you know I'd do another vermella-praising mess :heart:)
  3. MAYBE another alien species if we must, but said aliens have to arrive from a world that isnt the world we're all settling on, and they have to be at a patently ridicuous level of lore to be accepted (and not be OP and ~`*:heart: sparkle-desu :heart:*`~)
  4. destroy ALL sci-fi tech AND modern tech. the nature of this planet caused everyone to crash down onto this world with the bare minimum of resources, and they only have technology at a... 1950s level? slow reconstruction to 2000s thats what I would like.
  5. basically, space colonization without the emphasis on "humanity expanding borders to a new world and boldly going where no man has gone before," and more an emphasis on "holy sweet tamales how do we survive on this weird planet"
  6. needless to say, it would be nothing like what we came on NationStates to do, and is probably completely unreasonable. still. might be interesting to try out somewhere else. maybe in a civ game.

dogbew

Lord of Altera
The citizens of Dogbewistan are willing to launch a full military invasion to anyone supporting these treasonous ideals.

Raith

Lord of Altera
I'm not completely sure if I like the idea of it just being humans in the entire universe. To me this sounds rather.. dull. it reminds me too much of the real world if it is just gonna be humans. I did read that there will be a gradual growth of tech and things of that nature, and I like that idea the most. at the very least it won't always stay as real life for the most part.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
I'm not completely sure if I like the idea of it just being humans in the entire universe. To me this sounds rather.. dull. it reminds me too much of the real world if it is just gonna be humans.
.... wait.

is that why you kept making imaginative but impractical things with your nation?

oh gods, we were such jerks....

LightTwig

Lord of Altera
I think actual races or different species would clutter up the lore of the world. Humanity is amazing and incredibly diverse, and you don't need elves, dwarves, or aliens to make an interesting and unique Nation State. For instance, one idea I had was: A federation of modernised first nations tribes. In a colonial type history, they were powerful enough to fight back the colonists and slowly westernise, rather than being subjugated entirely.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
I think actual races or different species would clutter up the lore of the world. Humanity is amazing and incredibly diverse, and you don't need elves, dwarves, or aliens to make an interesting and unique Nation State. For instance, one idea I had was: A federation of modernised first nations tribes. In a colonial type history, they were powerful enough to fight back the colonists and slowly westernise, rather than being subjugated entirely.
but that's Corvermell.

unless you mean First Nations like, the guys in Canada.

LightTwig

Lord of Altera
but that's Corvermell.

unless you mean First Nations like, the guys in Canada.
Yup, I'm referring to the First Nations people in Canada, but obviously they'd go by a different name in the new world. I think a sovereign nation of American natives is one of my favourite historical "what ifs", second to "what if the White Army won in the Russian Civil War". But I'm getting off topic. The point of the matter is, you can make just about any nation of humans interesting, just delve into history.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
I think a sovereign nation of American natives is one of my favourite historical "what ifs", second to "what if the White Army won in the Russian Civil War".
100000% agree (except for the russia thing what is that i have never heard of it)

it is why I went basing Corvermell on polynesia, mesoamerica, and india instead of, like...

... ireland, I guess. no offense to irish, because they're also cool