Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[NationStates] Region Reset Discussion

LightTwig

Lord of Altera
Is there a thread in Off Topic to discuss random bits of history? If not I'm going to go make that, we shouldn't clutter this thread, even if it is quiet.

Edit: Come visit.

Last edited:

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
I think we've now discussed the main concerns regarding a reset. As such, I will release a thread for an official vote tomorrow and leave that poll thread open until Sunday to ensure most everyone has a chance to vote; some people may not have access until the weekend, for all I know.

In any case, I have decided that the following points will be considered the "Main Plan" option:

> Everyone creates a new nation at the same time everyone else creates a new nation. This date will be released on the voting thread, more than likely.
> A new map is voted upon and divided into a plethora of small territories.
> The claiming procedure shall be as outlined in the initial plan.
> The new world shall be "humans only" and avoid fantasy and sci-fi elements.

The following points will be put forth as voting options on the poll. The poll shall allow multiple options to be selected so as to ensure everyone's ideal set of options may be selected.

What do you want to see implemented for the Nation States reset?

> Nothing; I don't want a reset!
> The "Main Plan" with RP ties to the previous world
> The "Main Plan" without RP ties to the previous world
> The "Main Plan" with a modern day tech code put in place, as outlined under the original plan
> The "Main Plan" without tech code put in place
> The "Main Plan" with "legacy" nations given first pick on map placement
> The "Main Plan" without "legacy" nations given first pick on map placement

Are there any other options or points I have not covered under the choices that a fair share of people are interested in? If so, now is the time to speak, before the poll thread is created tomorrow!

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
On another note, I have a suggested plan for creating the backstory for a new world without ties to the previous world.

Instead of assuming that all the territories on the new map are individual nations, what if we assumed that the entire world, as we enter it, was controlled by three, or so, massive empires? Then, all of our nations would pop-up as break-away nations from these major empires. To give an example of what I mean, just think back to the fall of the Western Roman Empire where all the different regions broke away from the central empire to run their own local affairs.

So, if we decide to not go with an RP tie to the previous world, would this proposed backstory for the new world be acceptable to most people?

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
I really don't like the backstory idea. Three empires controlling the entire world, especially in ancient Roman times? Really not do-able. I think players should write their own history.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
Well, it's just a suggestion. The alternative, really, is that we suddenly have a bunch of small, equally sized nation pop up on the map for no explicable reason. By adding in some already large NPC nations, I thought we might be able to rationalize the sudden existence of all these nations a bit better.

But again, it's just a suggestion.

LightTwig

Lord of Altera
For a new world without ties, I think it would be good to first hear from everyone a small summary of their nation's history. And when I say small, I mean like, four or five sentences. This little paragraph should give the nation context and brief people on its history. People can then decide whether or not they'd like to be linked to said nation in some sort of way, forming historical bonds between nations, for better or for worse.

For example:

Player 1:
"My nation, Ingolstadt, is similar to Singapore in that it is a city state, but the country has a Germanic/Dutch culture. Originally the city was part of a larger kingdom/republic/empire, but the guilds of the city made sure that the common folk from the rest of the country could not enter unless they held enough prestige. As their wealth grew and grew, they supplied loans to the crown whenever it was needed, in return for more autonomy. Eventually, around the 1700s, they demanded independence after the monarch passed a decree that lumped the elite guilds with the common folk of the countryside. Fearing that Ingolstadt's guilds would bankrupt the country, the monarch made the city independent, and the nation was formed. Today it is a powerful trade hub"

Player 2:
"Oh that's cool Player1, I was planning on making a kingdom in the style of the Holy Roman Empire, that had over time become more and more federalised with the emperor being only a figurehead of the country in the modern era. Maybe your city state was part of my kingdom, and its departure caused my reformation towards democracy?"
At this point a third player can come in and offer to play the historical rival to Player 2's kingdom, or whatever. It might be a bit hectic organising all the relationships, but I believe it would be the best for accommodating good roleplay.

RexJen

Lord of Altera
Carausmia is my "what if Aboriginal Australians killed all the settlers, took their tech and became massive powerhouse?"

LightTwig

Lord of Altera
Since it's clear that we're going to have a non-linked new world, I figured it might be a good time to start talking about our ideas for our nations. If two people have culturally similar nations, then it is probably best for them to know ahead of time who they ought to be geographically nearby to.

On that note, I'm planning my nation to be similar to Japan and Korea, with some Chinese elements pulled in for flair. Anyone else thinking of making an asian nation?

Gaby

Lord of Altera
I'm probably just remaking Corvermell #swag

@LightTwig Corvermell is an asian nation: it's based off of India, Indonesia, and Oceania.
: P

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
For a new world without ties, I think it would be good to first hear from everyone a small summary of their nation's history. And when I say small, I mean like, four or five sentences. This little paragraph should give the nation context and brief people on its history. People can then decide whether or not they'd like to be linked to said nation in some sort of way, forming historical bonds between nations, for better or for worse.
I think I'm going to incorporate this into the initial claiming process.

Once the map vote is done and the chosen map is partitioned out, I'll set up a thread for claiming starting positions. When each player picks their spot, I'll have them also give a paragraph outlined the basics of their nation. This way, people next in the order will have an idea of who their neighbors are.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
Also, the order will be more of a "priority" system. We won't make it so that each person has to make their pick in the specified order, but if multiple people want the same starting spot, the priority order will be a sort of tie-breaker.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
My nation is based off of Germany and France. If they were far left. And conquered by Sweden in the time of the Roman Empire.