Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[NationStates] War! Carausmia vs Upresh

LightTwig

Lord of Altera
( I think the general issue that Baron, among others, have with giant wolf monsters, giant lizards, and giant ants, is that is dwells too closely in the realm of science fiction or fantasy, whereas we maintain a somewhat veneer of realism in our own little universe. Why not, instead of giant wolves, have your nation employ something similar to the BigDog robot. It's not exactly cybernetics, as it could be controlled by an operator, much like a military drone. That way your nation's tech/army is still realistic, but has all the advantages of giant animal soldiers. Thoughts? )

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
It doesn't fit the setting at all. And for the record, you could have the deadliest super tiger that ever lived, but it would still be defeated by one human with a gun. Guns completely reshape how wars are fought, and a cavalry of beardogs is going to get obliterated by a squad of riflemen. You're basically campaigning for worse soldiers than everyone else has. Not to mention that they're an active threat to you as well as the enemy since they're wild animals.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
((Or instead of trying to go giant with your animals, why not go for a swarm tactic?

For example, you could unleash a swarm of bees with a deadly poison while making sure only your side has the antidote. Disease, after all, has historically killed as many soldiers as actual battle has.

If you go small, instead of big, you also avoid having to worry about gunfire as the individual units would be too small to hit. Of course, you'd then have to worry about pesticides and such, but perhaps some resistance to basic pesticides could be developed over time?

The downside of a swarm tactic using organisms rather than synthetics is that you'd have virtually no control over the swarm once it's unleashed. You'd have to be very particular about deployment and taking precautions to avoid having your own troops fall victim.

There's also the concern that this tactic would likely be considered chemical warfare, if you go the poison route, which would probably isolate you even more in the international community.))

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Carausmia hates robots. whatever robotic solution to their problem that you recommend is going to be automatically rejected.

from what I can see, they want to go down the path of genetically modified animals/weapons, which could actually be feasible/useful, but not in the way rextom is thinking.

not attack wolves/bears. that's not thinking hard enough.

trained mutated dogs, outfitted with bulletproof armor, assaulting small batallions in the woods?
perhaps go the route that some scientists have, controlling small animals like flies or roaches with minuscule brain shocks and outfitting them with a camera so they can be the eyes and ears? I could imagine further training might allow, say, a mouse to set mines in the path of enemies, then scurry away.

or go the bioweapon route, perhaps? deadly disease carries the same connotations of "nature's revenge" as a huge tiger. I could imagine carausmian soldiers releasing clouds of thick gas before opening fire. it would provide them cover, and they would have been immunized to the disease beforehand, so the soldiers that survive that battle fall sick and die later.
or perhaps make the disease water-or-insect borne, so as to prevent Red Cloud duplicates. water is, after all, one of the most vital resources for any army. they would eventually have to refuel.

of course, with all this, I can see Carausmia taking a guerilla route. perhaps Rex should research into that.

EDIT: Sincronia's idea is also pretty good, and I hadn't thought about wasp swarms.
but I really dont think the international community would give a flying hoot about chemical warfare. I mean, look at them! giant mechs with railguns, flamethrowering war prisoners and sending them to labor camps, orbital bombardment, nukes, do these people really care about ethics in war? no.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
( Arcturix actually does kinda care about ethics in war... there's an untold rule here, that says ''Ballistics, Fire, Explosives and Close-combat only'' )

Gaby

Lord of Altera
( Arcturix actually does kinda care about ethics in war... there's an untold rule here, that says ''Ballistics, Fire, Explosives and Close-combat only'' )
(none of those are ethical and clean modes of warfare at all! you guys are crazy)

Gaby

Lord of Altera
(what's an ''ethical'' mode of warfare then! Giving Hugs? >-< )
(There is no such thing as a clean mode of warfare.)
I mean....
what I meant was, fire is one of the uglier methods of war, and is as much "dirty fighting" as deadly and gruesome diseases.
same with bombs.

by "clean and ethical," I meant straight-up shooty or stabby weapons. no creative ways to kill people.
I'm trying to point out your weird standards here, ok?! like, releasing a deadly disease into the environment isn't ok, but searing off someone's skin and destroying arable farmland is?!

Dr.Patriot

Lord of Altera
> implying the singularity is any less fantasy than giant animals
> implying there are no gods in modern Altera
> implying Shalherana isn't judging our nations every step of the way

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
> implying the singularity is any less fantasy than giant animals
> implying there are no gods in modern Altera
> implying Shalherana isn't judging our nations every step of the way
There are no Gods, in this reality (at least not the Alteran Pantheon.

If they do exist, Arcturix would declare war upon them...

Nobody may dictate how the Aristocracy acts, apart from the Aristocracy itself!

Gaby

Lord of Altera
There are no Gods, in this reality (at least not the Alteran Pantheon.

If they do exist, Arcturix would declare war upon them...

Nobody may dictate how the Aristocracy acts, apart from the Aristocracy itself!
*Arcturix declares war on Shalherana*

RexJen

Lord of Altera
Carausmia hates robots. whatever robotic solution to their problem that you recommend is going to be automatically rejected.

from what I can see, they want to go down the path of genetically modified animals/weapons, which could actually be feasible/useful, but not in the way rextom is thinking.

not attack wolves/bears. that's not thinking hard enough.

trained mutated dogs, outfitted with bulletproof armor, assaulting small batallions in the woods?
perhaps go the route that some scientists have, controlling small animals like flies or roaches with minuscule brain shocks and outfitting them with a camera so they can be the eyes and ears? I could imagine further training might allow, say, a mouse to set mines in the path of enemies, then scurry away.

or go the bioweapon route, perhaps? deadly disease carries the same connotations of "nature's revenge" as a huge tiger. I could imagine carausmian soldiers releasing clouds of thick gas before opening fire. it would provide them cover, and they would have been immunized to the disease beforehand, so the soldiers that survive that battle fall sick and die later.
or perhaps make the disease water-or-insect borne, so as to prevent Red Cloud duplicates. water is, after all, one of the most vital resources for any army. they would eventually have to refuel.

of course, with all this, I can see Carausmia taking a guerilla route. perhaps Rex should research into that.

EDIT: Sincronia's idea is also pretty good, and I hadn't thought about wasp swarms.
but I really dont think the international community would give a flying hoot about chemical warfare. I mean, look at them! giant mechs with railguns, flamethrowering war prisoners and sending them to labor camps, orbital bombardment, nukes, do these people really care about ethics in war? no.
Ill think on it! Ill try to come up with something along these lines

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
((Also, if you want to keep with the sort of "horror story" spirit of the ants, you could train some crows to recreate Birds...))

RexJen

Lord of Altera
((Also, if you want to keep with the sort of "horror story" spirit of the ants, you could train some crows to recreate Birds...))
(or train locusts somehow?)
(Good idea, I could control them using pheromones that they are bred to respond to in a certain way, so you could throw a grenade filled with pheromones and suddenly birds are attacking them, also maybe attack dogs that have been altered to be faster and stronger, outfitted carbon fibre armour)

EDIT:

Heluth: Originally wolf like animals native to Carausmia, these creatures have been selectively bred and genetically altered to be stronger and faster than ordinary wolves, outfitted with light and maneuverable yet strong and almost completely bulletproof carbon fiber armour. Packs of them often accompany Elites.
Yruam: Flesh eating flying beetles that are controlled using pheromone signals, although they are plentiful and easily bred, their adult forms are short lived as they only survive a few hours. This was implemented to stop them from spreading to the environment and out competing other species.
Jurah Hawks: Birds that have been bred to attack any vehicle that does not bear specific markings and to respond violently to the smell of petrol. They are spread evenly throughout Carausmian occupied territory.

Last edited:

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
(none of those are ethical and clean modes of warfare at all! you guys are crazy)
(Orbital bombardment is very clean, thank you. No fallout, extremely specific targeting, and no lasting damage beyond initial impact.)