Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

An Interesting Problem

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior
You can warn for it if it is ruining someome elses RP.
Well, it's definitely ruining immersion and general RP mechanics.

EDIT:
We could go a more in-game approach. If a guard sees a player on a roof, they could give said player a fine instead of just saying- "Don't do it again." That might dissuade illogical actions.
But the problem with that is the players can just not pay the fine and run away vigilante-style.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
hmm, so being able to enforce fines. sounds great, but how do we stop enforcement of fines from becoming abused by those who get the ability?

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Nice.

Not only does that keep the guards in check, but it gives legitimacy to the Court as well for things other than roleplay trials.

I'm thinking a small plugin (probably part of the money plugin already used, hopefully we have someone that could make this simple code addition) that allows specific players (the guards in port silver in this case) the ability to set fines. However, these players are instructed to take screenshots of each event in which they use the fine command. A player may contest the fine in court.

Court would be reviewed by probably someone in staff. If someone is caught abusing the fine plugin, remove the player from the position, warn - possibly even ban them? hmm.

This gives a great way for the guard at PS to have power, but it's limited in scope. We want all groups that are supposed to have power to be able to use their roleplay power... the fines work for the guard... but what can we do for other groups, like Pirates in the Cove for example?

Rextoret

Lord of Altera
A steal command for Bandits? Perhaps once a persons HP falls under 25%, the Bandit attacker could get some of their Radiants? (<- A real reason to not go in the Southern Wilds.)

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior
the fines work for the guard... but what can we do for other groups, like Pirates in the Cove for example?
Well, back when I had my previous character and was a part of the Thieves Guild when it was still active, we would have RP thefts. >>Here<< is the link that shows what such a theft was like... That's just an example. But really, before we can figure these things out, we have to know which guilds/organizations are actually active. This goes back to a previous suggestion - applications for organizations.

Rextoret

Lord of Altera
This goes back to a previous suggestion - applications for organizations.
Yes, yes. Do bring that topic up. I love it. I'm willing to help formulate those applications assuming the idea sticks.

We can assume that a rather detailed application is needed. I'm also thinking that perhaps the member must have been present on the forum for a certain amount of time, say a month. One more thing I'm thinking- Maybe we can make it so they need to have people who would vouch for their writing and social skills.

King Oguk

Earthspawn King
Ahh, I think I have found a solution in the form of 2 possible solutions. So 2 ideas

1. After death you could have to take a test entitled "Salheras Test of Righteousness (or something)" and that would compose of the Sisterhood themselves giving you a test that would attempt to sees if you had any good within you, those with good got resurrected, those without any good get sent to an eternal fiery of hell.
  2. We could have disadvantages of dying. So like lets say Oglub, the Great and Powerful general dies, and by some miracle he gets resurrected. He could have had lost much of his strength and spends the rest of his days as an old shaman who tells jokes to the Inquisition. Well, you get the point.
Oguk would throw you in the lake if you went all weak! Only strong kids live!

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Well, back when I had my previous character and was a part of the Thieves Guild when it was still active, we would have RP thefts. >>Here<< is the link that shows what such a theft was like... That's just an example. But really, before we can figure these things out, we have to know which guilds/organizations are actually active. This goes back to a previous suggestion - applications for organizations.
I think though that the most efficient way to give groups the power they need should not be on a case by case basis, but rather a guideline that could apply to anyone, or at least have classifications that groups would fit in. This way, we don't have to figure out a new system every time a new group pops up.

King Oglub has a good idea in the coming back from death makes you weaker. I understand the sisterhood brings people back in order to fight Grief.... but even if you are brought back, wouldn't that trip do something to you? Maybe your soul gets weaker each time you're brought back, and that weakening does effect your body and mind.

I think this way we are given a great balance. Yes, death is not the end, but you will not be able to shake death without some repercussions. Maybe there should be a limit to the times you can come back before your soul just can't take the travel anymore. Of course, the same rules about darkbloods and grief supporters apply.

I think with this in mind, killing a character actually becomes a loss. Dieing before hasn't mattered, but now it does. And it's not even so much a punishment but an actual drama enhancer. Most of the time death just doesn't really matter. Got in a fight and died? no problem, you're back. Now... Yeah, you're back... but you can feel that some part of you might have been left on the other side. Everything seems harder now... your sword weighs more than it used to, your feet as well.

It would make life special. Players would be much more likely to voluntarily pay fines given by guards or tolls given by bandits. There wouldn't be as many useless duels to the death outside the merry mead.

thoughts?

Rextoret

Lord of Altera
Do you mean weeks of in-game time or real-life time? Because I know a lot of people would be peeved if that was instituted as real-life time.

Shrimpsy

Lord of Altera
Do you mean weeks of in-game time or real-life time? Because I know a lot of people would be peeved if that was instituted as real-life time.
To quote Nael's post over there:

"What this means is that if you die, your character can immediately jump back into the game, but keep in mind from their perspective about 2 weeks have gone by while dead."

So, RP time.

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior
I'm sure many players would be peeved regardless of time. And what's to stop a newly resurrected player just ignoring the consequence anyway? It's not like there's any practical way to enforce this.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
I have to agree, this two weeks of rp missing when in actuality no time has passed really doesn't hurt the player in any way. When you responded I had assumed the things I were proposing was already in your post.

So... back to that then. What does the community think about possibly implementing some sort of mechanism to death so that people are actually worried about dieing, as they should be?

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
We don't want to take characters out of the game every time they die. I know it'd annoy me if I couldn't rp as my char for a few days (even though I have alts.) however, I can see the advantages to doing so... It's annoying for the player, so they will stay out of trouble.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
There's always actually been a time-lag supposed to be associated with being brought back, I just don't think it was quantified with a specific time.

The only real addition to that was time getting stacked up if people abuse the ability to die In-character.