Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Fundraiser] New Map! 1570/1100

Sir Saltington

Lord of Altera
I think having a bigger map is better because then it's more adventurous. You have towns deep in some mountains, far away lands in forests, and so on. Also, then it is easier to hide more secret locations that you don't want other people knowing about.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
That's good for something of the size we need. This isn't something new or crazy - by server terms its hella good.

In the interest of transparency, I thought I'd share a bit more about what went into this. I've been soliciting offers for months now. I've gotten about 10 offers, ranging from $200 to $2500 and ranging in size from half to double the size of our current map. The map we would like to purchase is the best balance of size and quality. It far surpasses the abilities of any current staff. It is a much higher quality map than our current one. Yes, it is a lot of money. We believe this community is worth it. We remain positive that an investment in our community of this magnitude will help us continue to be one of the top RP servers around.

After we received this offer, I took it to staff. We weighed pros/cons and had a discussion. There were some in favor and some not, but eventually we collectively decided to go for it. This was not a unilateral decision in any way. If we hit our target, we'll buy the map. If we don't, we'll examine our remaining options. Ultimately, we thought we would give the community the chance to go for it, too. That's why we announced it now as a fundraiser.

As for why quality maps are so expensive-- a lot goes into making a proper quality map. It takes a lot of time to do it right. I spoke with a top-notch terraformer and he said he spends scores if not hundreds of hours on large maps. He makes thousands of dollars on the maps of the scale we want, but he also spends a tremendous amount of time on them. It also takes proper equipment; a great computer and the right programs. Some of those programs cost up to $250 and are known for making terrain far more realistic than their free counterparts.

Great maps are expensive. These guys have to pay for overhead. They have to be compensated for time spent. It has to be worth their time to make amazing maps like the one we're after.

Yes, it's expensive. This community deserves the best, and this is the best reasonable offer by far.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
I know I've posted a lot, but fuck this is a big discussion we'll all be shooting out opinons in -

We're going to be using this map for a long ass time. We've used the current one for four years and it's smaller than the potential new one.

This is an investment that's worth it to me. I'll be donating soon when I get the cash.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
In the interest of transparency, I thought I'd share a bit more about what went into this. I've been soliciting offers for months now. I've gotten about 10 offers, ranging from $200 to $2500 and ranging in size from half to double the size of our current map. The map we would like to purchase is the best balance of size and quality. It far surpasses the abilities of any current staff. It is a much higher quality map than our current one. Yes, it is a lot of money. We believe this community is worth it. We remain positive that an investment in our community of this magnitude will help us continue to be one of the top RP servers around.

After we received this offer, I took it to staff. We weighed pros/cons and had a discussion. There were some in favor and some not, but eventually we collectively decided to go for it. This was not a unilateral decision in any way. If we hit our target, we'll buy the map. If we don't, we'll examine our remaining options. Ultimately, we thought we would give the community the chance to go for it, too. That's why we announced it now as a fundraiser.

As for why quality maps are so expensive-- a lot goes into making a proper quality map. It takes a lot of time to do it right. I spoke with a top-notch terraformer and he said he spends scores if not hundreds of hours on large maps. He makes thousands of dollars on the maps of the scale we want, but he also spends a tremendous amount of time on them. It also takes proper equipment; a great computer and the right programs. Some of those programs cost up to $250 and are known for making terrain far more realistic than their free counterparts.

Great maps are expensive. These guys have to pay for overhead. They have to be compensated for time spent. It has to be worth their time to make amazing maps like the one we're after.

Yes, it's expensive. This community deserves the best, and this is the best reasonable offer by far.
For months eh? That implies you've been doing it for a long period of time where staff were quite firm they didn't want a new map. I guess one more reason I was kicked out.

For months eh? That implies you've been doing it for a long period of time where staff were quite firm they didn't want a new map. I guess one more reason I was kicked out.
Som made the decision to go with a new map in January.

mokwar

Yū Yi
Evil
mokwar
mokwar
Evil
Agree with the others about the odd price however.
With the new things said about the prices, I pull it back.
I forgot about time, quality and etc.

I will say go for it. A bigger map would make for a bigger variety in places and such, which would help, because currently I feel like the current map lacks variation :D
I also like the idea that secret places will be more efficient :)
It does not need to be a huge event, but I do hope for a logical and well-planned lore reason though :D Just to make it easier for the characters to make sense of the new environment

Tarron

Lord of Altera
I'd love a new map- especially without a Dynamap to accompany it. I don't like the use of it currently.

As far a player population, I wouldn't be against creating some stricter guidelines for towns. Towns don't get created only to have 3 people live there, and this is not to cause offense to anyone with a small town. But if we're going for a map of this size and you want say, a city- you should have to have a considerable amount of people that will actually be there. I'm all for fewer towns, as that centralizes roleplay. An example being race capital cities- I've always thought that would be interesting here.

I also think the price is exorbitant, but if people are willing to pay for it- then your answer is already there. People want it.

mokwar

Yū Yi
Evil
mokwar
mokwar
Evil
I'd love a new map- especially without a Dynamap to accompany it. I don't like the use of it currently.

As far a player population, I wouldn't be against creating some stricter guidelines for towns. Towns don't get created only to have 3 people live there, and this is not to cause offense to anyone with a small town. But if we're going for a map of this size and you want say, a city- you should have to have a considerable amount of people that will actually be there. I'm all for fewer towns, as that centralizes roleplay. An example being race capital cities- I've always thought that would be interesting here.

I also think the price is exorbitant, but if people are willing to pay for it- then your answer is already there. People want it.
Maybe a new system that also takes in account of the ability to set up camps and other non-permanent settlements.
Would love being able to travel, and set up tents and etc, maybe even make a military outpost somewhere random, just things that are not a town, but still need a small structure :D

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
If we're doing this, we're doing it right. If there's no official discussion on fixing whats currently wrong with current systems I'll be hosting it via my own thread boyos, but I'm waiting to see if an official one will pop up first.

Cukie1

Essentially a Chihuahua
Aware Single
Legend
Pronouns
She/Her
Cukie1
Cukie1
Single
I understand regions will be refunded if they aren't moved, but things like large world edits done for terraforming. Will things like that be refunded? I ask as I recently had 21 plots cleared to make room for an underground cavern and am hesitant to move a whole isle that might ruin the aesthetic of the New map.

Personally, I'm in a grey zone with the map, as I've seen large maps kill servers, but seeing the variety we have here, it might be a good thing. It's something we won't know until we try. Perhaps this can also help with the final decision for what will be done with spawn, as well. All in all, I'll be in grey zone until I can separate personal and overall view.

Please, disregard any typos, I'm on my phone.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
Once the new map is finished and we transfer over would it be possible to be given a copy of this RP worlds MC map file for personal use? As at that time there will be no spoilers to be found that will have any bearing on RP etc?